Academy MH 60 S Helicopter 1/35 scale/

this is just a color study. I like the 2 tone NWAC camo earth combo with russian stars and numbers but I am afraid it might clash too much on the deck. I tried Hataka paint in the 2 tone grey camo combo, Tanaka paint is not friendly at all as u can see...pretty shitty paint job. I used tamiya thinner with it, i think that was a mistake. 

Follow up. I just read a several reviews on Hataka paint and they all said the same thing:   Low quality paint, does not cover well and tricky to use. Stay away. 

20190525_114154_zpsa61unpak.jpg

20190525_140905_zpsf7te2jcz.jpg

20190525_140931_zpsjlrgrafx.jpg

This might work better for the deck.

20190525_144103_zps5mr23jea.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

Reprimed fuselage and preshading. Heres how it looks in all grey without camo and brown camo on the base. Letting paint dry and will paint apply gunship grey camo this afternoon. For fuselage color i used vallejo US Navy light ghost grey primer and grey white for hightlights.

20190526_095646_zps9y8wc3uq.jpg

20190526_103549_zps8fqrh2zt.jpg

20190526_103608_zpskpwkzuu1.jpg

20190526_124109_zps3ak5gunk.jpg

Edited by Rotorman
47 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

I like the 2 tone black and grey in the 3rd pic!

How did you airbrush the Vallejo primer? And what psi?

Tim

Flat brown and grey. Low psi around 10. 80 /20 ratio. Vallejo primer same ratio

9 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Wow,  the other way around.

Thanks Oliver. 

Tim

I guess, it comes from color modulation techniques. Here's interesting video about modulation from AMMO MIG. Maybe you can find something useful in it. Video with Russian language overlay, can't find on English only. 

I kinda like more the two grays camo, IMHO it blends better with the whole scene, the brown camo, althoug is really nice, I find it out of place for some reason! just from a viewer's perspective!

1 hour ago, kike said:

I kinda like more the two grays camo, IMHO it blends better with the whole scene, the brown camo, althoug is really nice, I find it out of place for some reason! just from a viewer's perspective!

Thanks, the brown camo is my favorite and even if its a US Navy helo i do agree its out of place . I could be wrong but aren't the NSAWC helos only on land?. Love to find a photo with one on an aircraft carrier deck, i haven't found one yet.  I am afraid the 2 tone grey might blend too much with the deck. Thanks for the feedback.

8 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

A vote for the browns. I think the helo needs to stand out to be a focal point as your bases are always quite busy. (Not a bad thing). 

thanks Andrew.   Brown is my first choice as well but the more I look at it the more it feels out of place.  Still  debating ..

8 minutes ago, Tgoetz said:

I vote gray as well.  Think it will bring all the colors you have used together nicely.  Amazing work!  

Thanks for ur input. I think its gonna be  the all grey coat unless i see a photo of the brown camo on an aircraft carrier.

53 minutes ago, L-GREECO said:

Hi Oliver, 

I think all gray will look more balanced and authentic in the scene. And in all gray your extra detailing should looks more expressive then in camo.

i agree with u

Nice update, Oliver!  Surface looks so smooth. 

What primer do you use? 

Today I tried Ammo Mig Acrylic surface primer, and it was a real mess... Spits, spots... Going to buy new airbrush and compressor tomorrow, because my is done :((( So want to buy some good primer at once. 

55 minutes ago, L-GREECO said:

Nice update, Oliver!  Surface looks so smooth. 

What primer do you use? 

Today I tried Ammo Mig Acrylic surface primer, and it was a real mess... Spits, spots... Going to buy new airbrush and compressor tomorrow, because my is done :((( So want to buy some good primer at once. 

I used vallejo  US Navy grey primer. i only sprayed one little coat since i will be adding more light coats of grey, white and brown, no reason to load more paint on the model with an heavy coat of primer. What airbrush and compressor are u getting?

I see. I'm going to buy compressor jas 1202, and airbrush jas 1117 with air control. Jas is a cheap but not bad Chinese brand popular in Russia, not sure someone in USA know it. 

35_0.jpg

%D0%90%D1%8D%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%

But now I have this Tamiya compressor and tired of it. 

71hteEcewKL._SL1500_.jpg

Huge gaps to deal with for the nose piece.  I had to reshape top of the nose with superglue to make it fit with windshield...still not happy with it. I inserted a small tab in order to try to give the windshield a stronger hold on the frame so that i can manipulate it later.

20190603_162710_zpsgwtjqzne.jpg

20190603_184301_zpsgjzfjnvr.jpg

20190603_184415_zps57gugfem.jpg

20190604_123003_zpsxafprxew.jpg

20190604_095111_zpssf0bm5eb.jpg

20190604_123051_zpsfdsf2drn.jpg

Edited by Rotorman