Ok, for build number 2 we'll get a little larger in scale from the 1:10000 Interdictor Cruiser.

This will be the 1:2256 Flurry, which is a converted Quasar Fire Class Bulk Cruiser that would put into service by the Rebellion and featured in the book Truce at Bakura. Here's a bit of history of the ship on Wookieepedia. Yes, that's "Wookie" not "Wiki" for the uninitiated.

Now technically, the Interdictor was my first all resin model, but it's so small it doesn't really count. This one however I would feel comfortable calling my first all resin kit.

Here's the picture of the contents of the kit:

15188555108_cbc0d46c13_c.jpg

And you can't have a carrier without starfighters, so I ordered a few from Shapeways. The kit instructions provide a link to the seller, and he has many more options than what I purchased.

15352130046_52dcecfd23_b.jpg

I posted an extra large picture to help you identify them, but from left to right you have twelve each of X-wings, B-Wings, and A-Wings. The X and B-Wings both have the S-foils stowed, but you can also order them deployed. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all 36 of them in there, but we'll see what we can do. The comb looking part in the previous picture is a gantry type system that will hold starfighters when they aren't sitting on the deck below. I will most likely have starfighters hanging from above and sitting on the main deck.

First things first, I washed all of the resin parts in warm soapy water and let them air dry. Next was removing all of the pour stubs from the parts. The most difficult one was the gantry piece because the stub was so long. There was only a minor bit of flash to clear out from the parts, and the engine nozzles needed some slight sanding to fit in place. I also had to use a 7/64" drill bit to ream out the holes for the two guns on either side of the bridge. After everything was cleaned up and dry fit, I glued the three guns in place around the bridge and glued toothpicks to the engine nozzles for easy handling. I will need to add a little bit of filler material at the back where the two large hangar bay sections come together, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll show a picture of the area later.

15371976421_771610b490_b.jpg

Next up though will be a primer coat of Alclad white over everything.

Thanks for watching!

-Dave

Oh yeah. :whistle:/>

By the way, thank you for making a kit of this ship. It's one of my all time favorite capital ships from the books. I snapped this one up right away when Starship Modeler got them in stock.

Question for you, any chance you'll be casting more of the 1/4222 Interdictors anytime soon? I missed picking up a couple when SM had them.

-Dave

I made some more progress on this one.

First was a primer coat with my trusty Alclad white primer, and then some of the interior colors. I used Model Master Gunship Gray for the ceiling of the hanger bay, semi-gloss black for the floor and the gantry, and some Metalizer Titanium for the engine nozzles.

15397720665_cbd31894ce_c.jpg

15397720305_6ee43f59a7_c.jpg

15210970679_cb3b1f6ed2_c.jpg

15397389112_f47c98c5dd_c.jpg

Next up will be some more masking and painting before the floor decal and assembly.

-Dave

Good stuff! Did you get the floor decal?

Yes I did. Does it fit fairly well, or does it need to be trimmed? That's the reason I did the floor in black just in case there were any fitment issues.

-Dave

So the floor and ceiling were masked off with my trusty Tamiya tape, and then the side walls and underside of the upper fuselage were sprayed with Flat Gull Gray.

Masking removed:

15483696395_7f425398ff_c.jpg

After that, I trimmed the floor decal to fit and tested it.

The good - the fit is near spot on, perfect fit.

The bad - I didn't realize that the light colored lines were clear portions and not white lines. Consequently, when you place them on a black background, they pretty much disappear. So for those of you going to build this kit, paint the floor white first, it will look much better!

The ugly - You don't want to see a picture of me...

The results:

15460587396_5b0144c729_c.jpg

Luckily, I'll be filling the bad with starfighters of various types, so my screw up won't be so noticeable.

Next up will be a bunch of detail painting on the interior before assembly.

I'm going on vacation for a week, so it will be a little while before you see any updates, but I do intend on bringing it with me to work on.

Thanks for watching.

-Dave

Where you going on vaca? We're heading down to Hilton Head tomorrow night. Wouldn't that be something...

Other direction, we're heading up to Michigan. Might pass you going the opposite way!

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation! Weather was kinda crappy for a couple days, so I had plenty of time to sit in the cabin and paint while the wife cross stitched!

I pretty much concentrated on detailing and weathering the underside and hangar bay. I used Vallejo gray wash on the dark grey areas, and black wash everywhere else. I had also done a bunch of small panels and details in various colors. The glass areas were done with Vallejo "Periscope" which I'm pretty happy with.

15410407158_6c385930f3_c.jpg

15410406828_b6ded47cc4_c.jpg

The panel lines were all giving a liberal black wash and then once dry they were lightly scrubbed off with a thinner dampened brush. The thinner and wash is acrylic so I didn't have to worry about rubbing away the gray undercoat as it is oil based. The scrubbing away portion took forevvvvvverrr, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

And of course the final thing before I can put the ship together is to paint up all the little starfighters to be housed within. They were all done in a basecoat of some Vallejo gray color, and then detail painted in other various shades. I decided to do all the X-wings in the standard red scheme, and the A-wings and B-wings were done in a hodge podge of different schemes that I came up with. I'm really happy with the A-wings. B-wings, not so much. It's my favorite starfighter, but it just doesn't seem to take fancy paint schemes very well:

15593847801_5b8d68dc13_c.jpg

All 12 are pretty much the same.

15572829976_4fe9de52e1_c.jpg

B-wings could have been better.

15410899320_aca07df875_c.jpg

Really happy with the A-wings. I'm tempted to pose a couple in flight launching from the bay.

15410407558_eb1a48fdff_c.jpg

The left most two weren't printed very well and were only used as test beds for paint. The brush is the one I used to do all the detail painting. And no, I don't use an optivisor!

Thanks for following along!

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go, home stretch.

All of the starfighters were separated from the runner and then glued to the hangar floor and gantry with 30 minute epoxy.

15206835373_0a84621311_c.jpg

15640855078_b2f2173daa_c.jpg

The lower half of the hangar bay was then glued to the upper half with the gantry in between. I did have a little gap at the rear of the model. I added a little 3M Acryl Blue putty to the gap and then profiled a little panel into the putty with the end of a toothpick. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the putty.

15827823782_f369d669a6_c.jpg

After everything dried, it was sprayed with Flat Gull Gray.

15640457709_4cfeb36e57_c.jpg

Once the paint dried, I painted some of the panels in other colors and added a wash to all of the panel lines.

15802621206_33d63b7a19_c.jpg

15641421970_72ecd2db4b_c.jpg

Once that dried I went back and cleaned up all of the panel lines, added the engines, and then added it to a simple display base.

15640853408_2cbcf669e4_c.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the way the top turned out.

Yes Kris, that makes two for this GB. And I haven't even posted all of the things I've been working on either. I have a club meeting this Thursday, and I'll have 4 completed models to bring that I recently finished!

I'll probably start the next build for this GB tonight. I'll probably do another resin kit, most likely in 1/72, and something we haven't seen in this GB yet...

-Dave