CD48073: RF-101C Voodoo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Four years after I announced this sheet for the "soon to be released" Kitty Hawk RF-101A/C, the kit is finally here. 

I already used some of the artwork in my 1/72 scale RF-101C sheet for the Valom kit (CD72047) , The 1/48 sheet will have some of the same option, plus a couple with nose art if at all possible. Coming in the August/September batch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Realise Mr K's on his hols, but is there any news concerning which RF-101 options are on the new sheet? 

Hoping the polka dotted 45th TRS made it. 

Tony 

14 hours ago, tony.t said:

Realise Mr K's on his hols, but is there any news concerning which RF-101 options are on the new sheet? 

Hoping the polka dotted 45th TRS made it. 

Tony 

No way I am going to omit the polka dot scheme from the sheet - I still need to work a little bit to make sure the decals fit the KH kit, but rest assured the 45th TRS polka dot option will be there.

Kursad,

Would you include markings for those Rf-101c early camo tests ?

rf-101_camo2.jpg.3e74f2d8873fd1d77ea31f77614f6f03.jpg

They were several interesting schemes tested (one in overall black with red markings I believe)

or perhaps you could release a new sheet with other weird/unusual camo schemes ?

Marc-B

I don’t think these early camo aircraft need anything other than early style national insignia and new serial numbers; markings-wise. But I am a few thousand miles away from my reference material and can’t be sure. I will try to add at least one if I have the sheet space. 

Judging by the sales of the F-101A/C sheet, I doubt there will be a market for more than one sheet and I will most likely do only one RF-101 sheet.

Great news about the 45th TRS Polka Dots being included.

Agree with Erik re USAFE 66th TRW subject matter, esp. from the "French era" 1959-1966. The markings 'evolved' from a starred coloured sash on the fin, the colour pertaining to the squadron; to a trailing starburst with all four squadron colours bursting from the Wing badge.

I have fond memories of them at RAF Upper Heyford (Oct 1966-early 1970) after the Wing moved from France to England but they were all but devoid of unit markings by then, especially after being camouflaged from 1968. If there isn't much space, please include the basics for one of these: FB buzz number plus tail serial for NMF or the later 0-60xxx six inch black serial for the SEA camo.

Like many others, I was waiting for the F-101B and RF-101C releases and have been buying in pairs. Looking almost daily in China to order a brace of recce C models and suspect the market is considerably bigger than that for the F-101A/C release. 

Tony

Edited by tony.t

Hi Kursad,

If you haven't yet finalized the artwork, how about including the antenna that was stuck to the inside of the canopy? Perhaps include two, in case someone is planning to build a Blue Angels F-4. :whistle: There are several great shots of the antenna towards the bottom of this page: LINK

Also, there were two different versions of the SAE camouflage scheme used on the RF-101A/C and RF-101G/H. One was published in the T.O., but I haven't been able to find any official drawings of the other. It was definitely standardized, because you see a lot of RF-101s wearing that scheme. Many years ago, I worked out the pattern for the second scheme. I can send you a scan, if you're interest.

Thanks,
Ben

• 5 weeks later...

Possibly too late, but please consider adding three vents and the undernose lightmeter panel to the decals.

I.e. the rectangular vent for the r/h upper fuselage, and two louvres for the panel behind the NLG bay.

The lightmeter is a small black and silver rectangle located just behind the nose camera radome, fwd of the KA-56 prism. 

Cheers

Tony 

• 1 month later...

Here is the final draft of the first RF-101C sheet. Keep in mind that the Voodoo is a large aircraft and the full-tail markings take up a lot of space. Add to this the poor common stencilling on the kit sheet that needs to be completely replaced; and it looks like I will be able to fit at most two natural metal and two camouflaged aircraft on one sheet.

I will release a second sheet only if the first one sells well - if it happens, the second sheet will follow the same formula. 

Profiles coming soon - but all four options already exist on my 1/72 scale RF-101C sheet (CD72047) so you should have an idea. I am glad I took the time to ensure that the markings fit the Kitty Hawk kit: many of the design elements needed tweaking for a good fit.

There is a second sheet (not shown) with the large US national insignia and USAF markings needed for the natural metal options - it is the same sheet included with my earlier F-101A/C set (CD48052).

cd48073.jpg 

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...