Had a very productive day with the airbrush. As well as respraying the green I was able to complete the shading effect on both the green and blue/grey. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as this was my first attempt at this technique. I just need to paint some access panel lines with darker shades of the original colors and it should be good for a glosscoat and decals.

kVAgyp.jpg

UVlZlE.jpg

ZwMPpS.jpg

IPf1R6.jpg

iw9ROE.jpg

PMOG3E.jpg

:cheers:/>

John

Wow ! :salute:/>/> I like it very much, we see eye to eye when it comes to camo work ! Great talent and hard work really pays off...

Do you intend to make those paint touch-ups as per the photo you included ?? ...that would look great, I did that for my last CF-5 and liked it...

YF

Edited by yvesff

Wow ! :salute:/>/>/>/> I like it very much, we see eye to eye when it comes to camo work ! Great talent and hard work really pays off...

Do you intend to make those paint touch-ups as per the photo you included ?? ...that would look great, I did that for my last CF-5 and liked it...

YF

Thanks for the compliment Yves! I appreciate it.

I took some inspiration for the colors from your CF-5A build except that I went with a bit bluer dark gray than what you used. The European based CF-104's were painted with locally supplied paint from Holland and it wasn't quite the same shades as ones painted in Canada.

I'm definitely going to make the paint touch-ups and possibly even paint the odd panel with fresh paint as the photo indicates it was just out of a maintenance check.

Cheers,

John

Wow, you nailed the paint on this one!

Thanks Colin! This is a camo scheme that lends itself to everything from fresh and clean to weathered and worn. I prefer the weathered look myself.

I'm working 12 hour shifts this week so not too much progress to report. I need to paint the fiberglass antenna panels, the anti glare panel around the windscreen and the gear wells before gloss coating and decaling. Hope to get this done on Monday.

Cheers,

John

Finally an update as last week I was too busy with work.

Got the final painting of the wheel wells, fiberglass panels etc.. done. Applied the clear coats yesterday and now on to the decals.

d5b4fD.jpg

coezyr.jpg

WxODox.jpg

John

Outstanding work, John!

I've been lurking on this one for a while. I'm gearing up to do one just like this very soon. What colour did you use for the fibreglass panels? Anything in Tamiya acryl?

ALF

...I think I can see some touch-ups... this is going to look nice...

What is your gloss coat ?

Yes indeed there are touch-ups. I may need to touch-up the dark green touch-ups after the final matte coat though.

I'm using Future for my gloss coat. I find the decals really adhere to future and they rarely have any silvering.

Cheers,

John

Outstanding work, John!

I've been lurking on this one for a while. I'm gearing up to do one just like this very soon. What colour did you use for the fibreglass panels? Anything in Tamiya acryl?

ALF

Thanks ALF!

I used Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan for the fibreglass panels. I've used XF-57 Buff in the past as well.

Cheers,

John

The decals are on! Just getting rid of the odd air bubble here and there and the final gloss coat will go on before a panel line wash.

The Leading Edge decals went on really nice. A far better experience than the 417 colour bird decals. I also used the odd decal from the ARMYCAST 48-002 stencil set and the TwoBobs 48-051 F-104J Komatsu set.

The photos aren't great due to the glossiness but here they are anyway :unsure:/>/>

aO51fd.jpg

8zsEL7.jpg

Jx3VXu.jpg

O2Qr8D.jpg

lwBQQ6.jpg

X2OPtN.jpg

kyK50G.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

John

Just a quick update today.

While I let the final gloss coat cure before doing a panel wash I decided to put some paint to the ejection seat. Needs a couple touch ups and some black stripes on the D-Ring and foot release handle before a wash and weathering.

aLUGoL.jpg

Cheers,

John

John,

I've been following your build but have not weighed in until now. Very impressive work. I like the weathering you've done. She looks very real.

I look forward to the finished product.

Mike

Hey All,

Not much to update due to an extended long weekend down in Whitefish, Montana and my obligatory work week. My wife and I like to spend time in Glacier National Park camping, hiking, and Stand-up Paddle-boarding. We were lucky enough to get one last paddle-board day out on Lake McDonald while looking after a friends place in Whitefish. Here's an indication of how nice it was last Saturday.

1DUiEV.jpg

The next day it was snowing with the temp dropping to below -10 Celsius.

I'm hoping to have more of a substantial update during the weekend. I work an 11.5 hour day, 7 day work week with 7 days off between shifts so this allows some good building time during my week off.

Cheers,

John

Hey All,

Sorry for the lack of progress. Had to work a few extra days due to a snag on our 757.

I was able to get a wash on and a flat coat today. hope to have the kit done tomorrow or Friday.

bpNbdR.jpg

lOX1PK.jpg

John

Got some good progress today. Have the seat almost done. Wash and flat coat to go. Both the LAU-5002 rocket pod and the BLU-27 Napalm canister are painted and ready for decals. The landing gear is ready to install as well. The final step is to finish the canopy, instrument panel combing, exhaust and final assembly. Hope to have it complete tomorrow.

Here's 2 shots of the Black Box ejection seat on top of a real C-2 ejection seat D-Ring.

Cv3SHl.jpg

kUjOiF.jpg

John

Hey John, AMAZING, the colors and the weathering on your CF-104 look dead spot on. Incredible, I think I've never seen a Canadian 104 model in that scheme this realistic colorwise. Excellent job there!

Ubercool!

:woot.gif:/>/>/>/>

Hey Redindian,

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. I'm being pretty anal with this build and hope it shows in the completed kit.

Do you have an affiliation with 421 squadron? I've worked with a few maintainers over the years that served in the former West Germany and the father of a good friend of ours is an ex Starfighter pilot who flew with 421 Sq. on two separate tours. He has the distinction of ejecting out of 2 CF-104's over West Germany.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104

Just a quick update.

Even though I hoped to finish this over the weekend it appears that either I'm a slow finisher or that I'm fretting over too many of the small details :wacko:/> .

I'll let a couple photos do the talking.

3usQ8y.jpg

z9pdsp.jpg

u3yzKy.jpg

3oI6VD.jpg

1osb07.jpg

goKcP8.jpg

R8qPEp.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

John