Cottesmore Tri-National Tornado Training

Choosing markings for the new Revell Tornado I ended up thinking at the Trinational Traning unit of Cottesmore that shut down in 1999.

Why do you think it happened?

I mean, in a time of financial shortage like today would not be wise to open it again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-National_Tornado_Training_Establishment#Closure

"In the post-Cold War era and the growing differences in the aircraft variants, the three nations decided that they would be better served performing their own type training. There was also a need to find space for British aircraft returning to the UK from bases in Germany, such as RAF Bruggen, that were closing. Consequently the unit disbanded on 24 February 1999, with Tornado flying ending on 31 March 1999."

Choosing markings for the new Revell Tornado I ended up thinking at the Trinational Traning unit of Cottesmore that shut down in 1999.

Why do you think it happened?

I mean, in a time of financial shortage like today would not be wise to open it again?

No point,here in the UK we have a squadron that looks after training new crews that come online,not to mention that the RAF haven'nt been recruiting for navigators for some time now.

No point,here in the UK we have a squadron that looks after training new crews that come online,not to mention that the RAF haven'nt been recruiting for navigators for some time now.

I don't think either of those things was the case before the TTTE shut down 15 years ago however...

Edited by Jennings

The TTTE was responsible for training new aircrew converting onto the Tornado, they were tasked with basic handling and navigation after which each nationality then proceeded onto their own Weapon Conversion Units which for the RAF was 45®TWCU Sqn later 15®. During the 80/90's the RAF had 12 Sqns of GR's and 8.5 of F's, by the end of the 90's that number had dwindled to 7 and 5.5 respectively and it was deemed that all training could be carried out by 15®Sqn, it was at this time that the Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit name was also dropped.