If I were to get just one large scale jet...

Every once in a while they do come up..... Ebay is a source ARC buy and sell is another. You must not be desperate just wait.

It is like the $35 to $40 1/48th Hasegawa Hornets..... You must wait. But be careful of the shipping fees.... know your stuff and check USPS with known Dimensions and weights for shipping quotes. I have seen some low prices but some ridiculously high shipping rates..... obvious gouging by the seller. Do your research.

Another option is to keep an eye on Lucky Model's site. Once in a while, they have a special where their Kinetic F/A-18 boxing comes up at about $75 or so; sometimes it's a super sale, other times it's at that price if you spend, say, $60 on other stuff, in which case you can pick up several well-priced kits.

ALF

I should note; my shelves are about a foot deep (with some room for overhang behind), by about three feet wide. I have a bunch of them, and they're perfect for my collection of mostly 1/72 aircraft and 1/35 tanks. I have a 1/32nd scale P-40 that takes up about a third of one shelf, and a few 32nd scale WW I aircraft that don't take much space at all. But even though I can calculate the dimensions of say a 1/32nd F-14, or F-4 or whatever, I really can't picture how it would look on a shelf. Would it be hanging off the sides? I guess, how big is the footprint? How unwieldy are these things? That F-18 pictured above looks large but doesn't seem to be too sprawling.

If space is a consideration, you might want to look at one of the 1:32 F-104 kits. The Italeri one is not bad although the supplied RCAF decals leave a lot to be desired. The Hasegawa one is older but still builds quite nicely and is much less expensive. The Revell one also builds up very nicely, is cheaper still, but it's pretty much required that you throw away the kit cockpit and put in a resin one.

The Revell 1:32 Hawks are quite nice too and are not that much larger than some of the 1:48 builds I have.

Although not the scale you are asking about (but hey, atleast i got the jet part right...); i suggest MiG-29 by GWH. It is about half of your budget too.

It is extremely good kit OOB, and detail wise i am willing to bet there isn't any jet kits in 1/32 scale that matches the level of detail.

I would like to suggest the hobby boss F-84. Build nicely and it is smaller in size. You can find them under fifty dollars. Another kit i actually enjoyed was the Trumpeter MiG-21 or F-7 II.

Best luck in your hunt.

1/32 Trumpeter F-8E Crusader. Don't see too many of them, Victory has an awesome sheet, and it's compact enough with the wings folded not to take up too much room.

thats a pretty great suggestion :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea at all. I built their F-8J with Zotz decals for the 'Yes,size DOES matter' GB last year. Although I closed up almost all the panels, there a many that can be posed open such as the elevated wing, wing folds, speed brake, gun bay, ammo bay and the radar in the nose (I think?).

You might also want to consider a Hasegawa or Kinetic / Italeri F-86 Sabre. Both of them require a bit of work, especially the Kinetic / Italeri around the vertical stabilizer) but they have open speed brakes and and leading edge slats. The Kinetaleri kit also allows for an open gun and ammo bay, if I'm not mistaken.

Just an opinion.

Mike

Good grief, HOLMES -what part of the Tamiya Corsair is a JET???! :P/>/>/>

Not a bad idea per se, but to me, this is a slightly odd way of doing things...do you just want to build one kit in this scale to say you've been there and done it, or do you have a subject wish-list to start from?

Although I have no interest in 1/32, there are some really nice kits around: I do have a big thing for '50s/'60s Navy, so would try and steer you towards Fisher's sublime Cougars, Cutlass or Skyray. I know these blow the budget, but if you're gonna drown yerself, pick a good vintage!

Otherwise...Tamiya Tomcat, Phantom or Viper? Also, the big Academy Hornets have a certain appeal.

Let us know what you decide to do!

ChippyWho ho..

It was too late in the night,, I was daydreaming,,, sorry..

I think PHANTOM...Would be MY choice. :whistle:

Totally right to TELL ME ChippyWho .. :rolleyes::bandhead2:

Edited by HOLMES

Although not the scale you are asking about (but hey, atleast i got the jet part right...); i suggest MiG-29 by GWH. It is about half of your budget too.

It is extremely good kit OOB, and detail wise i am willing to bet there isn't any jet kits in 1/32 scale that matches the level of detail.

+1 on that. I'll admit that it's possible to get that little bit more depth and definition of detail in the behemoth scale, but you most likely need aftermarket stuff to get there. Otherwise, often not as intense as the best 1/48 products -just bigger 'n' uglier!

ChippyWho ho..

It was too late in the night,, I was daydreaming,,, sorry..

I think PHANTOM...Would be MY choice. :whistle:/>

Totally right to TELL ME ChippyWho .. :rolleyes:/> :bandhead2:/>

And ya know it's only cuz I care about ya! :rolleyes:

Also, thank you for not recalling the infamous gaffe I once made about the engine combination of the B-36. A while ago now, but the halls of ARC still resonate with peals of laughter to this day...and math was never my strong suit. :doh:

Revell BAe Hawk or Hawker Hunter. Reasonably good kits for very good prices. You could upgrade them with some nice PE and resin aftermarket and still stay within your budget.

Seconding the Revell Hunter, one of my favourite ever kits. Its dirt cheap, goes together great, nice detail, and all it really needs is a resin bang seat. Its so cheap though, if it takes your fancy you can throw as much AM at it as you like. Not too big either.

I'm a 1/72 guy but I would go with the Tamiya F-15E (I've got one!). It's a great kit with all the things you listed. It goes together reasonably well and you can go nuts with the weapons.

I would've agreed with the Tamiya F-4 crowd, but I couldn't pick just ONE Phantom. Too many awesome versions/markings....