F-14D of VF-11 in Brown Splinter Camo

Judging by the looks of it, it is a temporary scheme put on for an exercise. You can see how they masked around the gray markings so they didn't have to be repainted. They sometimes use water based paint schemes for temporary adversary roles. I also like they very dirty gray on the underside.

Cool pic thanks for sharing!

Edited by graves_09

It would really be a cool model to make, wish someone would have different-view pics.

Incidentally, can anybody make out if this is a B or a D? Thought VF-11 flew B's but the chin pod looks kinda like it has the IRST, plus the caption reads "F-14D 163418 of VF-11 at NAS Brunswick, ME 21 July 1995". So did VF-11 go from D's back to B's?

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

It would really be a cool model to make, wish someone would have different-view pics.

Incidentally, can anybody make out if this is a B or a D? Thought VF-11 flew B's but the chin pod looks kinda like it has the IRST, plus the caption reads "F-14D 163418 of VF-11 at NAS Brunswick, ME 21 July 1995". So did VF-11 go from D's back to B's?

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Correct. VF-11 went from D to B. The Hasegawa F-14D boxing has a VF-11 bird on the box. They then swapped out after about 4 yrs to the B.

Judging from the seats (canopy breakers) and the lack of extra ECM blisters around the upper intakes, looks like a D to me.

Thx... those additional pics confirm it to be a D.

There are two additional pics (not the greatest clearity but better then nothing) over on Fencecheck

Brown F-14D

Big thanks for posting those links. Now all I need is a top view :-)

Just one of the many water based paint schemes used by the Tomcats at Fallon over the years.

One of these days i'll build my favorite VF-31 jet.

207bvf31F-14f15style_zps2456da3a.jpg

Looks to me someone is trying to fool someone in thinking this F-14 is an F-15 Eagle. Nice!

Does anybody know anything about this aircraft? Are there any other pics out there, did it deploy on a carrier with this paint job?

Thx,

Marcel

I knew and worked with some of the people that did up that VF-11 F-14D in that temporary scheme... Also 164601 was done up like that while a part of VF-101 Det Miramar. They used tempera paints and the paint was applied using standard navy deck swabs. By all accounts, the brown paint was a PITA to remove off the TCS paint.

Just one of the many water based paint schemes used by the Tomcats at Fallon over the years.

One of these days i'll build my favorite VF-31 jet.

207bvf31F-14f15style_zps2456da3a.jpg

That right there is an awesome model to be made... VF-11 and -31 markings from that era are few and far between, unfortunately. If they even exist at all. I think Yellowhammer had a sheet... the standard Hasegawa CVW-14 box markings won't work either I don't think.

Marcel, I have been looking for the top view of that particular Tomcat for couple off years as I too wanted to build that jet, but so far....no luck :crying2:/> So, if you come across than will you mind sharing and I'll do the same. Thanks.

I knew and worked with some of the people that did up that VF-11 F-14D in that temporary scheme... Also 164601 was done up like that while a part of VF-101 Det Miramar. They used tempera paints and the paint was applied using standard navy deck swabs. By all accounts, the brown paint was a PITA to remove off the TCS paint.

Ah, very interesting... did any of those guys happen to snap some pics of the top?

Youngtiger, I will definitely share any additional info I get on this Cat.

:cheers:

Marcel