CD48055 - Florida 482FW "Makos" F-16C

Sorry for not announcing a new sheet for almost a week - some major remodeling going on around the house. Here is one I have been working on for a while: CD48055 will cover the 482FW "Makos" F-16C that was specially decorated last year as the unit's wing flagship.

This one took a while to get right. My track record with complex wrap-around special paint schemes is out there; and I think you will like the results. I am almost finished with the design, and I will post drafts after I scaled it down and modify it to fit the Tamiya 1/72 kit for a simultaneous release in 1/48 and 1/72.

I designed the shark's head art as a decal - I think with Cartograf's color matching capabilities, matching the paint should not be a issue. I also have designed masks as an alternative; and will consider offering the masks separately for those of us who would rather use them.

The instructions will have some pretty stark warnings against using anything other than the Tamiya kit. If you would like to use another kit, you are on your own.

These will be part of the November batch of releases.

87-0247-1579747908.jpg

Edited by KursadA

That's very cool! It would sit very nicely next to Poland's MiG-21MF with its fish markings.

You explicitly mentioned the Tamiya 1/72 kit; that suggests 1/48 set also measured for Tamiya; correct?

Is FS 36118 the color to be matched? Is that color relatively consistent among paint brands or is there a specific brand?

Edit: Hmm, just checked my stash, I've got Tamiya's CJ, not the C...

Edited by David N Lombard

will you include masks for the sharks shape? or templates?

sorry, im very exited about this one. i have been wanting to do it in 1/32 but i can settle for 1/48.

• 2 months later...

It is part of my December batch as I announced (the thumbnail image has been on the site for a while). I should receive this sheet (1/48) within 7-10 days or so. A lot depends on how good the color matching for FS36118 will be, so we will see how it goes. I will have masks ready as an alternative to decals for the shark.

I had to postpone the 1/72 sheet to January. I already have the 1/72 CAS Viper sheet in the December batch, I did not want to release both of them at the same time.

Edited by KursadA

Would offering the masks in digital format to those of us who have cutters be viable for you?

I don't know. This is certainly an interesting idea, and one that I have been thinking about for a while. I will start offering some masks soon(for both markings and structural elements like canopies, wheels etc.), so perhaps I will have a chance to experiment with ideas like this. It looks like more and more people are buying low-cost cutters like the Silhouette Cameo and Portrait, so I am getting more requests like this.

I am not sure how something like this could be monetized - after spending hours to get a mask design right, how much could you sell it for; knowing that anyone who buys the design file may choose to e-mail it to all of his buddies within minutes.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The F-16 "Florida Makos" sheets in 1/48 and 1/72 will be shipping next week.

You can build this scheme using the decals on the sheet and some careful color matching - no masks necessary. However, I decided to make the mask templates freely available for download at the Web site. If you would rather use masks; you will be able to download the DXF or SVG files from the reference Web site and cut them on your Silhouette (or other) vinyl cutter. Third parties or individuals who would like to use the templates to create and sell masks hereby have my permission to do so - no need to ask.

You will still need the decal sheets for the smaller details.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

And that's fornproviding those freely! They are welcome indeed!

In that note, if anyone buys the decals and would like the masks please let me know. I'll gladly lend a hand.

Ah...you hear me thinking...

The carrier is very thin, almost non existent. I mean I am dying to get out my -16 to see how they look on the kit and the ease of application, but looking at them under the desk lamp they are micro-freakin-thin. Very good job. Pep, if you have a cutter, I would love a set of masks.

I will see if I can get some space on the desk and do a weekender.

-Jim