Matchbox B-17G Flying Fortress

Hi to all. Since I lost the in-progress photos from the original thread, I'll start all over again.

Here's an very long-term project of mine. Older folks probably knows the Matchbox Flying Fortress, or at least have some idea about its crudeness and lack of almost any finer details. While I didn't see many of them built over the internet, some time ago I decided to build one on my own, but with a lot of improvements and corrections, in effort to bring it close to the modern B-17 kits standards. And that won't be an easy task, that's for sure.

As the original kit has no interior at all, here are a few shots of my effort in the radio room. Everything is 100% scratch built.

pro_101_zps09037e89.jpg

pro_104_zpsc3ac6b8c.jpg

And here's how much will be visible once the fuselage is closed.

pro_102_zpse7ac0c4f.jpg

The markings will be for an Douglas produced 15th AF machine, most probably the well known 99th BG ''2nd Patches'', though I have a few more candidates. With all the inevitable putty & sanding work, the olive drab & neutral grey camouflage seems like the much more acceptable option than the shiny natural metal. In each case, I will have to make the decals on my own, as those from the box are both incorrect and useless.

Feel free to comment, ask and suggest. :)

Edited by flak88

Hi, thanks for your support.

I'm using basic Revell putty for the rough works first, and then Tamiya surfacer for the smooth finish, combined with the fine wet sandpaper of course. And so on, over and over, until I'm satisfied with the results.

Now, since some of the raised panel lines are inevitably lost, I also need to remake them with a stretched sprue, but that will wait for a later phase.

Here's a patched appearance of the real one, which will help to cover all the surgery works I hope. Also note the shark mouth.

Save-1.jpg

Though I'm trying not to fall into a trap of overdetailing it, I promised myself to do it properly, something like it's the HK models 1/32 giant. And after all, why not? :)

Regards!

Edited by flak88
  • 3 weeks later...

Slowly progressing through the interior. :)

Here's a shot of heavily corrected pilot's & copilot's seats.

pro_117_zpsd953d45c.jpg

pro_118_zps36eafeff.jpg

Materials used were a few salvaged paperclips, tweezers, superglue and a lot of patience!

Edited by flak88
  • 3 months later...

Hi again,

The fire extinguishers are done, one CO2 and two Carbon Tetrachloride units, as the 30-DL block aircraft most probably used to carry.

pro_51_zpscd04a5cf.jpg

* Many thanks to Karl for all the help! :)

Edited by flak88

Thank you Major, sir! :)

A few more details from the nose compartment: navigator shelf, bombardier commands and twin ammunition boxes.

pro_54_zps703ce13a.jpg

Much more is in the production and hopefully coming soon.

Edited by flak88

Thanks guys! :)

A few words about the nose compartment exterior works. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of its original appearance, but you can get an idea from the kit instructions.

pro_63_zpse3015a2f.jpg

The cheek windows were pretty crude and inaccurate, so I removed them, corrected the whole area and prepared it for the Squadron vacuform replacements which should look much better. The other clear parts will also be replaced with the scratchbuilt ones.

pro_64_zps8f2a847a.jpg

Another issue is the chin turret and its fairing which are both way undersized, so they too are trashed and will be replaced with the Academy or Revell kits surplus parts. Also, although Matchbox suggests to glue the separate nose compartment first and than to attach it to the rest of fuselage, I did the opposite to achieve a better fitting among and between the two fuselage halves. However, it still requires a lot of putty & sanding work nevertheless.

At the moment I'm working on the waist windows & crew entry hatches. See you soon. ;)

Edited by flak88

After quite a struggle with tough & thick Matchbox plastic, the crew entry hatches are finally cut out. Since I'm planning to scratchbuild the entire interior from nose to tail (except of the bomb bay), this should allow a better look to at least some of the details, hopefully. Speaking of that, note the driftmeter seen through the nose hatch & first bulkhead passage. :)

pro_89_zpse78e8e5d.jpg

The waist door and tail gunner hatch had to be moved a bit backwards, as their original engraved positions were incorrect.

pro_29_zpsa507f99c.jpg

And here's the mentioned first bulkhead, before and after the canvas covers were added.

pro_215_zps123c3e5d.jpg

pro_219_zps19e02543.jpg

Coming up next, the nose compartment & cockpit interior various details. :)

Edited by flak88
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi again, very sorry for the late response.

I didn't have much time for the project during all this time, but there was some progress nevertheless. Slowly but safely, as they say. :D

Anyway here are a few photos. I managed to fit in the Revell canopy along with many other surplus parts, improving the kit's overall appearance significantly.

IMG_20161002_151255Y_zpsqq7poihs.jpg

IMG_20160913_101420_zpsxw9fqrzv.jpg

IMG_20160916_14144x_zpsysjfzrbb.jpg

I also reworked and corrected heavily the tail turret area, adding the Pavla vacuform canopy instead of the way too wide original part.

IMG_20160928_132325m_zpspjc2ckfl.jpg

IMG_20160928_132044m_zpsprk4y9m7.jpg

IMG_20160928_132453m_zpsdztgfefj.jpg

And one provisional test fit shot with the horizontal stabilizers.

IMG_20160929_132802Q_zpsp2jbcuvv.jpg

Of course, there's still much work to do on both exterior & interior, but luckily I have no deadlines with this one.

IMG_20160914_14542c_zpsvfak5ljs.jpg

IMG_20160912_134051_zpsikxiq8xo.jpg

IMG_20160914_14492c_zpszmbyzzs7.jpg

IMG_20160914_15020c_zpsji5hdjid.jpg

See you soon, hopefully. :)