Next Starfighter shall be a 1/48 Hasegawa F-104J converted to CF-104 using a bunch of spare resin and Canuck decals. To make the 421 squadron special super-sonic Coke can.

DSC_0736-4.jpg

Humm that a diffent approche to paint the fuselage prior to puttong it together

yup, I had to mask and paint the blue color on my Starfighters Inc F-104 before installing the intakes so that the paint around the intake spike would be clean. I'm sure some of the other F-104 schemes will require odd paint and construction sequences.

02012012543.jpg

Cooll!!!!!!!!

Back to this Starfighter. I forgot how quick these 1/48 scale Hasegawa jobs fall together. I watch old Star Trek videos while I build. This is now at 3 complete episodes.

One a day. So it sits here now..........

DSC_0753-3.jpg

I'm thinking of pre-painting around the wheel wells of my fishbed to simplify masking those parts later. It's a technique I've seen occasionally and was going to try. You appear to have taken that approach but fully painted the part. My concern about pre-painting is blending. I was going to make sure I had a (near) finish coat around the wheel wells but then taper down away from the openings so the actual exterior finish coats could be better blended. How do you approach that problem?

I never get to technical. On this build I had a drop fall out of the airbrush cap and land on a wing tank when the model was upside down. Did not notice until it was dry that there was this big glob of paint.

Sanded out the blob , Got out a brush and fixed it. Just like they do in real life. As for blending. The original colour was Tamiya red. Not red enough. Got out the guards red and gave the entire thing a squirt of the correct colour. There is a couple tiny lines of the original red that sort of came out as subtle weathering. Hard to see in the photos but I like the effect.

I never get to worried about IPMS style ubermodelnazi rules. Its a hobby I use to relieve stress. No point blowing a nut over it.

Both you and Canuck did a great job. :thumbsup:

FWIW, that white area is called the Dynamic Ribbon Device on a Coke can or sign.

Edited by David N Lombard