Bad day for F1 in general. Watching the broadcast it went dreary very fast. I understand the lack of communication but it'd be nice if they gave something, anything. I thought he was dead at the scene the way they were acting. Terrible luck and he's one of the best drivers for the lackluster teams.

I've just seen a video of Bianchi hitting the recovery vehicle - all I can say is we're lucky that F1 didn't have a multiple fatality accident yesterday.

Get well soon Jules, and RIP Andrea.

Vince

I've seen a couple of reports that the impact may have been in the ballpark of 50g's+. It is a wonder he survived. I wish him a speedy recovery, it would be shame if this is the ending of what could have been a very promising (were he to get a decent ride) career.

Edited by rustywelder

I too have now seen the video. I don't recommend it. It's hard to watch. The only thing I take from the video is that he did hot somewhat at an angle. Had it been full on front this could have been another Cevert situation and would have seriously impacted the chances of this weekends race in Russia. I'm still interested to see what happens with that race if Jules should succumb to his injuries in the next few days. I hope Marussia wouldn't run at least.

Hoping that he recovers, but from the diagnosis that's been released by medical personnel at the hospital, when people sustain that injury, greater than 90% never regain consciousness, and over the remaining, the vast majority are severely disabled for the remainder of their lives. Unfortunately I don't think it looks good for him recovering in any meaningful way.

• 9 months later...

Hello

I really feel sadness today.

Of course I did not know him personnaly but everytime I read about him he's described as a really talented driver and a very good polite young person.

He's the first formula one driver killed after a race accident since Ayrton Senna and as Senna, he's been killed in what would have looked like a highly survivable accident had not poor circumstances struck. In effect this changes nothing but makes me feel even sadder that both were so unlucky..

RIP Jules #17

Eric B.