F-104G Ejercito Del Aire (Spanish AF)

Its been a while since i have joined a GB, But I've been looking for an excuse to start this one.

Hasegawa F-104 Red Baron with either eagle strike or Aztec decals have not decided yet.

Going for OOB with probably a resin seat or PJ pilot.

Will post Pics of the plastic latter.

104wS733.jpg

A bit of back history:

Ejercito del Aire units operating the Starfighter.

161 Esc, Torrejon 1965 to 1967

104 Esc, Torrejon 1967 to 1972

Around the1960s, Spain was looking for ways to upgrade the air force but was restricted by the available budget. MAP offered to the Air Force a list of aircraft in which it could be observed that the F-104 was not included. This was the airplane that the Spanish Air Force had set it sights on, because it was the one that was being incorporated in most of the Air Forces of Europe.

After negotiations with MAP, they agreed to supply 18 F-104G and 2 TF-104G. The Spanish air force bought a third TF-104G.

The arrival of the F-104s in Spain was on board of two American aircraft carriers of the CABOT Class at the Aero-Naval Base of Rota.

The delivery of the aircraft was done in three groups:

First Group: In January 15 1965, 7 planes were delivered, 5 single seated and two dual controls.

- Second group:

The 12 of June 1965, 13 single seated fighters were delivered, unloaded from the aircraft carrier CROATAN of the USNS en Rota,

- Third group:

On the 5 of January 1966, the dual control, the one bought by Spain, was delivered and flown to the Torrejon Air Base on January 26

Once the first 7 F-104s had arrived at Torrejon, the official presentation of the Squadron took place on the 5 of March 1965. On the 24 of September of 1965, the Unit was fully operational.

They replaced the F-86F Sabres of 61 Escuadron in Ala 6 at Torrejon. In Spanish service, they were designated C.8 (serials C.8-1 to C.8-18) and CE.8 (serials CE.8-1 to CE.8-3). The Ala 6 wing was later renumbered Ala 16 and the squadron 61 became 161 Esc and later 104 Esc.

This era lasted about 7 years, from 1965 to 1972 when the conversion to the F-4 started.

They were formally retired from EdA service in May of 1972, when they were replaced by the F-4C Phantom. All of the EdA Starfighters were returned to the USAF for transfer to Greece and Turkey.

The 21 of May 1972, 104 Squadron was disbanded with ended, the brief history of the F-104 with the Spanish Air Force.

The EdA Starfighters had the distinction of operating without a single accident during their seven years of service.

Source: http://www.karo-aviation.nl/favorite/pages/f104/f104spaf.htm

Edited by Pep

Thanks for the heads up Paolo,

I will go with aztec, i also have a set from model aliance just in case. but the Aztec set have the markings for Ala 12 which is the one i like.

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on this one yesterday.

I had knee surgery Tuesday and am home for the week!

This is my first hasegawa starfighter, I think I will keep it OOB but might add the PJ pilot.

Does anyone know what would be the correct tamiya color tu use on these Spanish f-104s?

DB3B9A61-1149-49D8-98B7-E5C93FB038C8_zpsshym65ac.jpg

9176CBCA-22F4-4C1B-BAA9-C1A260FF745E_zps7quo6qqx.jpg

I decided to paint the fuselage before going on to the wings.

I have been trying to find a good match for the anti corrosion grey the Spanish starfighters wore when I ran into a build post that suggested gunze's IJA grey.

Lucky me I had a bottle of this sitting around for the longest time so I dug it up.

I have never used gunze's aqueous before and boy am I impressed!!!

I wish this suff was more readily available around here.

thanks everyone.

I'm working on the tanks at the moment. I'm having difficulties with one of the because the gas caps wont fit at all!

This will take some more work since the tanks should be metal.

CHippy the color is H61 its an aqueous color.