What do you modelers use for WWII Zinc chromate green on Aircraft inte

The colour varied with the aircraft, so any single shade may look nice, but can't be used for every type. OK, it can... I tend to use whatever is suitable from a wide range of Humbrol, but Xtracolour and (I believe) White Ensign both provide options.

in 1/72, I like Testors square bottle Flat OD Green if I need a ZC green, but I also use Interior Green from MM. I don't use the MM ZC green for interiors, but it works pretty well for green trim colors on the exterior - it's very close to pre-war Willow Green and looked just right for the green stripes on the VMFT-20 Corsair I built a while back.

I added a bit of the MM interior green to their zinc chromate green and it took

that "apple" color out of it. Looked better to my eye. I still have one bottle

of the old PACTRA chromate left.

Cheers,

JErry

When I read that they did it by adding black to yellow zinc chromate, I did exactly that. Took the little square Testors bottle of zinc chromate (yellow) and added some flat back to it, drop by drop, 'til it looked good. Best thing I've come up with, personally.

I added a bit of the MM interior green to their zinc chromate green and it took

that "apple" color out of it. Looked better to my eye. I still have one bottle

of the old PACTRA chromate left.

Cheers,

JErry

I found I have one bottle of the Pactra Chromate Green and was able to mix and will be able to airbrush it.

When I read that they did it by adding black to yellow zinc chromate, I did exactly that. Took the little square Testors bottle of zinc chromate (yellow) and added some flat back to it, drop by drop, 'til it looked good. Best thing I've come up with, personally.

I will have to give that a try.Thanks.

Now that you mention it I remember reading that somewhere too. I'll have to give that

a try the next time.

Cheers,

Jerry

I like the WEM versions: They have a yellow chromate, green chromate and interior green: All three colours look pretty close to what I would expect, and the paint itself is probably one of the best enamel paints I have had the pleasure of using.

This is what I do and works great. Also, as I may paint some parts at different times I get a nice variation of green amoong the parts. breaks up the monotony of it all.

Sean

I like the WEM versions: They have a yellow chromate, green chromate and interior green: All three colours look pretty close to what I would expect, and the paint itself is probably one of the best enamel paints I have had the pleasure of using.

Where do you purchase WEM paints in the US?

Where do you purchase WEM paints in the US?

I don't know for sure - I live in South Africa and bought mine direct from WEM and at the time they were able to ship to me directly. However, I believe the shipping regulations changed and except for the UK and a small number of European countries, you now have to buy from a local agent.

Their overseas distributors and stockists are listed here:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/page/Dealers+and+Distributors+Worldwide/22/#.VDaLgRYTV4w

Edited by Mfezi
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is what I did