1/48 Hasegawa F-4E TuAF SEA

So I lightened the sand color and reapplied it. It takes quite a while to paint each section as I am trying do this using a shading motion:

IMG_7495.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

Green colors are Gunze 309 and 303.

IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

I had added Tamiya gloss to the dark green so it looks shiny:

IMG_7499.JPG

Here is how slow it is going:

IMG_7500.JPG

I take off the diffuser of the airbrush when painting the border between the colors for more control and tighter spray. I still need quite a bit of time to finish the base paint and start weathering.

Here is a clip of me trying to demonstrate the painting process. Somewhat uninteresting and boring, but that is how it is.

Thanks Janissary. I thought this was how you did it. I do a similar thing. I got it by accident when I started painting with LifeColor paints. My AB kept clogging up and the amounts coming out were minuscule so I ended up doing what you were doing on your vid by accident just to get a decent coat on. The result was a weathered look almost instantaneously.

Many thanks for posting this. Very helpful! :cheers:

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Many thanks for posting this. Very helpful! :cheers:

I agree, it's very helpful to see how you achieve this finish. Thanks for taking the time to do that video! I think it's a little beyond my current skillset right now but, now I have a good idea of how to go about it. I have plenty of scrap kits to experiment on too. Thanks!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Great, I am glad you've found the video to be useful. SInce my last post, a few modelers on two Turkish forums warned me that the tan color might have been too yellowish. After taking another look at my model, I agreed so I changed the shade a little bit (arrows):

IMG_7502.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7504.JPG

Most Tuaf phantoms I have seen seem to have a lighter shade and even a pinkish hue compared to the USAF phantoms. We'll see how it turns out at the end.

Nice save with the tan color. It must have seemed disheartening at first since your process is tedious for the camo but, you managed to get it done so cleanly! Are you going to do some greater panel variations now that you have the base down? It looks great!

-Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, now I am thinking about how to weather it. I think I will apply lighter shades of each color to simulate fading, but I am not sure yet how exactly I want to do it. I am studying a few other builds to get some ideas but I have not decided what I will do. Here are a few links that I think are useful (feel free to share other links you think could be useful):

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/2662-tojo-eats-s-132-tamiya-f4u-1-corsair/

http://reddogmodels.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25254-rf-4e-phantom-ii/

Thanks Mark. Yes, now I am thinking about how to weather it. I think I will apply lighter shades of each color to simulate fading, but I am not sure yet how exactly I want to do it. I am studying a few other builds to get some ideas but I have not decided what I will do. Here are a few links that I think are useful (feel free to share other links you think could be useful):

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/2662-tojo-eats-s-132-tamiya-f4u-1-corsair/

http://reddogmodels.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25254-rf-4e-phantom-ii/

Hey Janissary! The Britmodeler Phantom build is great since he shows the "How To" on his shading. I am going to have to put that link in my favorites for my own reference! Thanks for posting those. They are all excellent builds and paint. With the skills that you have I have no doubt that yours will be excellent as well. Looking forward to reading/seeing which techniques you use so I can add your build to my "studies" for painting reference.

-Mark

Thank you very much all. I started the weathering process. First, I applied a lighter shade of each color in a shading motion. I used white to lighten the dark green and tan, and used a mix of white and yellow to lighten the medium green:

IMG_7518.JPG

IMG_7519.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7521.JPG

Now I am in the process of applying darker shades for the tan color. I used Tamiya flat earth mix with the base color and applied it in a shading motion. I then focused on the panel lines and rivets, and finally tried to blend everything with the base color. Finally, I applied this darker shade more broadly to take away the yellowish hue and make the whole tan color a little darker:

IMG_7522.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

I think it looks a little exaggerated at the moment, but hopefully the gloss coat and filters will eventually blend everything further. Next, I will try similar darker shades with the green colors.

Edited by Janissary
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't think it looks exaggerated at all J, at least not in your photos. Smashing job!

Thank you very much! Just a small update. I masked the wheels using parafilm. This has been the most effective way of masking wheels I have tried.

IMG_7529.JPG

Shading continues on the green colors. I think the effect looks a little overdone, but I'm banking on the gloss coat blending everything in.

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

I plan to do a little bit of chipping (already started on the central fuel tank) so the silver color. I originally used Alclad as the base metallic color but the most recent one is MM chrome solver (I love this particular paint). Next, I will try the hairspray technique. I did that before but I think I waited too long before the white paint so the hairspray became difficult to chip even with lots of water.

IMG_7535.JPG

One question for all of you. Would a blue training Mk.82 ever have a yellow nose band? I think the yellow band designates explosives, correct? I have not seen any practice bomb with a yellow band (which makes sense) so I assume my guess is correct. Can you confirm?

Thanks for your continued interest.

Edited by Janissary

Thank you very much Vincenzo. I have always been so impressed by your builds and techniques so it means a lot coming from you.

I am now dealing with a few small parts and I had a question. Would a blue training Mk.82 ever have a yellow nose band? I think the yellow band designates explosives, correct? I have not seen any practice bombs with a yellow band (which makes sense) so I assume my guess is correct. Can anyone confirm? TIA.

Janissary, I absolutely love how your camo has come out and especially the post shading. I think you can have a little "flex" to exaggerate that paint as at scale your post shading work really draws your eye to the panel line divisions. I just love it. As SERNAK said the traing bombs are just blue as below. Your blue is a little too dark for the training bomb color. You can see in this image:

Mk82_A.jpg

***the above image was taken from the net and considered public domain to my knowledge. Moderators please remove for any usage violations here.***

As you suspected, no yellow band, the yellow denotes an active warhead. Above you can see on one white stripe. These are Mk.82 practice bodies.

As SERNAK asked, what markings are you planning to use. I would like to know too! Beautiful work. Looking forward to your next update.

-Mark