Any video tutorials for streaking oil??

G'day,

I'm wondering if there are any video tutorials out there for streaking oil on aircraft. Seeing planes like the A-1 Skyraider at Oshkosh this year really brought home to me that there is a technique I want to learn and use. I've seen soem great examples on peoples models, but not been able to master it myself.

Thanks,

Matthew

G'day Matt, my mate! :wave:

I'm sure I've learnt 'bout this bloke who posted one tip on YouTube; quite a clever one, by the way - the fella would set a very tiny drop of some black wash on the surface, to then blow it in the direction of the airflow with compressed gas.

It works like a charm. Will see whether I find the tutorial for ye

Cheers,

UncĀ²

Hi Matt,

Its been my experience that if you are using oils over a fully cured coat of future that they can be very forgiving you have plenty of time to play around with it to get it just right, and a paper towel or cotton bud dampened with some mineral spirits usaually can remove any mistakes.

Here is one video I'm not sure if this is what your looing for.

Edited by jfmajor60
  • 3 weeks later...

...the fella would set a very tiny drop of some black wash on the surface, to then blow it in the direction of the airflow with compressed gas.

It works like a charm.

It does indeed. I used this technique on my Tamiya A-1J. I put drips 'n drabs of thinned Burnt Umber oil paint on the centerline drop tank and belly and blew them back with

my airbrush.

A-1_1_zps8fd1598b.jpg

This was done over a cured coat of Future, so mistakes were easy to cleanup.