I'm pondering building this aircraft, and I'm looking for a little info on it. I'll shortly have the Hasegawa F-16F kit, and I was hoping to use it as a starting point for the build. How different is the Vista plane from the basic F-16D. I know it has the spine which wouldn't be an issue since the kit has that, but is there a lot more to it than that? I appreciate any info.

Thanks habu, I had read over those already and they certainly have some good info. I was hoping some of our members might have a little more in depth info. It looks to my eye like its basically an F-16D with a spine and some cockpit modifications like the dual control sticks in the front office.

If it helps, TwoBob's made a decal sheet for the Vista F-16s.

Yup, thats where I got the idea. I was perusing decal selections that would work for my kit and foung TwoBob's Vista. I like building schemes that aren't seen a lot and that one really jumped out at me. I'll probably get them and just figure it out as I go.

Yup, thats where I got the idea. I was perusing decal selections that would work for my kit and foung TwoBob's Vista. I like building schemes that aren't seen a lot and that one really jumped out at me. I'll probably get them and just figure it out as I go.

Now that you bring it up , I might look in to building one, IF I can find my left over decals.

Looks like you can easily build one from a Hasegawa F-16I if the spines are the same. just add another stick in the cockpit. You'll have to scratch build the spin chute, but that shouldn't be too hard. As for the fuel tank. maybe you can put a modified A-4 refueling probe on it and call it a day.

Edited by Vince Maddux

Vince I think your absolutely correct. The F-16F kit I have arriving soon seems to have all the parts for a D, I, and F and should have everything I need to build this. I have a spare refueling probe from my F-14 I can make to work for this build as well. I guess its time to order the decals. I don't think I'll add the spin chute because it isn't used at the test pilot school from the pictures I've seen. Then again, it is a neat addition, so I might.

For what it's worth, the Two-Bob's instructions mention a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D and either a Cutting Edge "Peace Marble" spine or a Wolfpack IDF Barak conversion kit. I have no idea if the spine is like the one that comes in the Hasegawa F-16I kit or not.

The basic spine shape as I recall is very similar to what the IAF D models used, but it doesn't have the chaff/flare dispensers and I don't exactly know if it has any of the avionics cooling scoops either. An F-16F or F-16I spine would probably work if you shave off most of the lumps and bumps.

My kit arrived today and I immediately dug into it. After a quick fitting, the spine looks to be correct, minus the lumps and bumps, if you have the spin chute installed. Without the spin chute the spine is a bit longer than the one provided. I'm assuming they added something to the real aircraft after removing the spin chute. With that, I guess I'll be building a spin chute.

After doing some digging, I believe the extension to the spine of the Vista was the addition of a drag chute housing. I'm not entirely certain that's what it is but it sure looks like one to me. So, that should be a relatively easy addition. Hopefully I can get started on the build soon!

After doing some digging, I believe the extension to the spine of the Vista was the addition of a drag chute housing. I'm not entirely certain that's what it is but it sure looks like one to me.

You need to nail down the configuration and time frame you are building. When VISTA had a spin chute installed (during MATV) it had the standard (non-drag chute) tail base. Later when it went to USAF TPS the spin chute was removed and the drag chute extension was installed on the tail.

Also note VISTA had different engines iinstalled at differrent times - for example during MATV it had a GE engine and while with TPS it had a P&W engine (see below)

F-16-VISTA.jpg

030210-F-0000G-004.jpg

Edited by habu2

Habu thanks for the info! I'll be building it as operated by the TPS, and you've clarified my confusion. Hopefully that'll be a fairly easy correction, and I might even be able to use the Wolfpack conversion drag chute. Thankfully the kit has both engines so that wont be an issue.

Edited by falcon20driver
  • 5 years later...

Resurrecting a old thread,  does anybody have photos of the rear cockpit of the VISTA?  Is just a standard rear cockpit of an two seat F-16?  I read that it does have a side stick controller added to the rear.  I have the two bobs decals and the Hasegawa Block 52 F-16D kit ready to go. 

Thanks,

Brent

5 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Resurrecting a old thread,  does anybody have photos of the rear cockpit of the VISTA?  Is just a standard rear cockpit of an two seat F-16?  I read that it does have a side stick controller added to the rear.

Not sure I understand, all B & D models have side stick controllers in the aft cockpit.

If you meant the center stick, that was only added to the front cockpit.  Note the right MFD was removed to accommodate the ADI & VVI displaced from the center stack by the center stick installation.

vista1.jpg

vista2.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the rear pit, and I believe this is the VISTA simulator, not the actual VISTA aircraft.

vistasim2.jpg

Edited by habu2