First Line F-35C squadron of the USN...

last september I was attending the Tailhook Convention in Reno , just a few days ago I went through my goodies and folders and I read in one folder that the first VFA of the USN to be equipped with the F-35C will be VFA-86 .

Can some one confirm this ?? Thanks !!

Henk "OMAR"

Yes VFA-101 is a training squadron , I mean an actual fleet squadron........ I have to find the article , I guess....

Yes , I found the article , it's in the 2014 issue from VX-23 newsletter ( STRIKE TEST NEWs ) it stated ; that a certain LCDR has left VX-23 to lead the Sidewinders of VFA-86 (planned to be the first Navy squadron to transition to the F-35's)

????

Edited by sundowner

VFA-86 just transitioned to the SH. I would think they would transition a legacy Hornet squadron first. I would not read too much into the transfer of F-35 experienced pilots into fleet squadrons. The earliest IOC date for the F-35C that I have seen is 2018. I would think that the LCDR in question would be long gone from VFA-86.

VFA-146 had been scheduled to transition to Super Hornets early on, stuff happened and -147 got Rhinos instead.

My point? Schedules change.

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

VFA-101 is the RAG squadron, or training squadron for the type...not sure they use "RAG" anymore.

Whitey, you are going to have to go to sensitivity training. :fight: "RAG" was phased out awhile back and deemed politically incorrect. The idea of sending females to the RAG ruffled someone's feathers. So, now it's the fleet replacement squadron (FRS). In any case, it's good to see Grim Reaper colors again.

• 2 years later...

It may have been posted somewhere else, but I ran across a recent article where VFA-147 will be the first non-FRS squadron transitioning to the F-35C:

"The first operational Fleet unit will be VFA-147 'Argonauts', which will transition from the Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet in January 2018. "

http://www.janes.com/article/67250/usn-stands-up-f-35c-west-coast-fleet-replacement-squadron

I'm waiting to see the hi-viz CAG paint scheme....

I would doubt an Atlantic squadron would be first. US policy seems to have been Asia specific for threats for several years now. You would want the current tip of the spear squadrons to be equipped with the latest and greatest.

Which , if I am not mistaken is why no Pacific squadrons still fly legacy Hornets. Also why CVW-17 switched from Atlantic to Pacific a couple years back.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:34 PM, Hornet14 said:

I don't understand why you would transition a rhino squadron when the legacy squadrons are having so much trouble but then again there is a lot I don't get when squadrons transition.

Because there won't be any legacy Hornet squadrons by the time the F-35 hits the fleet;).::

On 2/13/2017 at 7:18 PM, tosouthern66 said:

I would have guessed that VFA-14, VFA-31 or VFA-103 would have been 1st. I have a feeling that the Hi Viz paint schemes may be a thing of the past when it comes to the F-35.

You might be right about the paint scheme, but who knows?  After the new wears off the CAG birds could add some color.