Modern Russian AF Paints

Finally got my Hasegawa Su-35S, and had a question about the colors. For the Dark Purplish-Gray over Light Blue scheme as worn by Red 07 at Paris last year, are the AKAN paints the best match? The Hasegawa instructions call for mixes of Gunze colors for the upper and lower colors. Are there any other readily available paints that are a close match to those colors? Does the new scheme seen on some of the T-50 prototypes (including the one that had the fire) utilize the same colors? They look very close the the same Gray and Light Blue from what I have seen online...

Speaking of AKAN paints, does anyone have experience using them? What paints are folks using for the Modern Russian AF subjects?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

Akan paints are some the best I've used, ever! You won't regret using them. As for them being a close match, I think they are. That's subjective, of course, as lots of variants come into play when we talk about paint.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

AKAN paints are very good and tough comparing to GUNZE. The colors are made from samples taken from real russian aircraft and are as close as possible. They have usually to tones for every color. One normal and one faded. I use them all the time and I am very happy. I buy them from http://www.hobbycolours.com/

I highly recomend them...

Nick

I should use them next week-end on my Zvezda Su-27SM. So more to follow.

Patrick

You are planning to use the eggplant color on Su-27SM? Why?

And only T-50-5 has/had the aubergine color. (b/n 55, not 05)

Edited by Berkut

You are planning to use the eggplant color on Su-27SM? Why?

And only T-50-5 has/had the aubergine color. (b/n 55, not 05)

I was speaking about the brand not the colors which are light and medium blue for #04.

Patrick

The Su-35S scheme about which you're inquiring is AKAN 73166 Eggplant over 73170 Light Blue. You can use 73166 for PAK-FA '05', but the lower surfaces are a lighter blue than 73170.

We are the North American distributor for AKAN. You can find these colors here:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

I am trying to replicate the colors listed on your Linden Hills Hind decals (48012), for the Mi-24RKh 'Red 41' of the 440th OBVP. The instructions list the colors as "Light Stone" (FS36415) and Green (FS34098) upper surfaces, with Blue/Grey (FS 36329) undersurfaces. I haven't found any other paint colors to match those color chips. It doesn't look like the paints in AKAN's Russian Helicopter set 47335 match either.

Larry

You want the earlier helicopter colors in 47303, not the modern ones in 47335. The following colors would be most appropriate for the Stendal-based Mi-24RKhR on our sheet LHD 48012:

6/73047 + 6/73048 upper surfaces

6/73049 undersides

The above colors starting with a 6 instead of 7 are acrylic lacquers. The 7 series paints are aqueous acrylics.

HTH

You want the earlier helicopter colors in 47303, not the modern ones in 47335. The following colors would be most appropriate for the Stendal-based Mi-24RKhR on our sheet LHD 48012:

6/73047 + 6/73048 upper surfaces

6/73049 undersides

The above colors starting with a 6 instead of 7 are acrylic lacquers. The 7 series paints are aqueous acrylics.

HTH

Thanks for that info.

I prefer to use enamels, but you don't carry them.

In the acrylic lacquers, you don't carry 63047 & 63048 separately, only in the 46303 6-pack of colors, of which I don't need 3 of the colors.

You do carry 73047, 73048 & 73049 separately, which I may wind up getting from you. I plan to check at next week's USS Alabama Modelfest, to see if anybody there has the AKAN colors I need.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • 9 months later...

Those colors are Su-33 specific and they don't look vivid enough to me to look like the modern Su-33 colors. They look closer to the soviet/90's Su-33 camo although the weathering might take away their color on the model.

Unless they've changed, it had been hard to tell which AKAN paints were "standard" and which were "faded" colors. I agree with what lots of others have said over the years - I much prefer to "fade" them myself, rather than relying on someone else's artistic judgement about what a faded color should look like. Plus you can't do a factory fresh paint job with the faded ones.

Thanks, what's a cheap place to get akan paints from? On ebay the shipping is expensive at per item rather than per shipment.

Linden Hill, if you are based in the US that is.

Just send them an email with your wishlist and address and they get you a quote within the day.

Never had an issue with the ordering process.

Thanks, what's a cheap place to get akan paints from? On ebay the shipping is expensive at per item rather than per shipment.

We distribute AKAN. Currently all colors listed are available to ship immediately:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

Jennings,

I thought we already had this conversation. As BtH poster mentions above, we clearly mark which AKAN colors are faded and which are standard. Nothing's changed since the last time you asked me.