1/48th MiG-29 Fulcrum 'C' 9-13

I just finished my second GWH MiG-29, its really a well made kit and if you're thinking about doing a MiG-29 I highly recommend their kits. I did this one completely OOB aside from Begemot MiG-29 decals, as I wanted a break from all the resin I had previously been working with. I found some photos of this particularly weathered line jet "Red 31" and wanted to try and recreate it in 1/48th scale. Check out the photos of the real thing on Airliners.net, just type in Mig-29 Red 31 in the search. For painting, I used Mr. Color and Alclad, and freehanded the camo. I didn't use one particular color but rather about a dozen different shades of green and several grays layered and blended to achieve the faded and tatty look of the paint. I used an enamel wash and then Promodeller washes. For the decals I used a new technique I read about and sanded the decals while they were still on the sheet to create the subtle effect of the markings and stencils fading, the results came out decent enough. The one thing that drove me nuts about this build was the horizontal stabilizers as they break off very easily combined with one or two accidental drops of the model made for some repairs and the resulting missing static dischargers. I hope everyone enjoys checking it out!

IMG_1952_zpseefe1f7b.jpg

IMG_1953_zpsa3b83df5.jpg

IMG_1945_zps3e2cd1aa.jpg

IMG_1944_zpse78114eb.jpg

IMG_1941_zps64f8be6c.jpg

IMG_1939_zps0151fcb8.jpg

IMG_1938_zps5018fb98.jpg

IMG_1936_zpsfe7ae759.jpg

IMG_1931_zps89e28685.jpg

IMG_1929_zps229e96be.jpg

AS for sanding the decals, use a moderate grit sand paper, but go slow and lightly. I found that if you use something to high in grit like 2000, that it smears the ink on the carrier film and creates an unsightly mess. Also, make sure you have a good light source and frequently check how much surrounding carrier film you have so you dont sand through it and disintegrate the decal. Lastly, take a picture of the decal sheet before you start that way you can still read what decal number it is (I found the little black numbers almost completely get sanded away which can make identifying small stencils VERY difficult.

I often find using a variety of colors, mists, and filters gives a better look to Russian aircraft, mostly because since they're exposed to harsh climates and winters, the original paint job wears away quite quickly, it also makes less of a headache of trying to mix the right color, as you blend as you go.