New 1/72 DC-4/C-54 from Revell

Both 1/72 scale modelers had a meeting and decided "if Don leaves us, we will release this kit"

the last 1/72 guy will get both an FJ-3 Fury and an F9F-6 Cougar right after I leave the scale

(Homer Simpson voice) "Mmmm. Furyyyy!"

Yeah, I could use a -6 Cougar, too.

So, it's just you and me now, Rex? :rolleyes:

Kind of off-topic, I guess, but back around 1979 or so, when we first started getting (what would now be called desk top) computers in our Tactical Support Centers, I was learning how to use the system and I made a database of the top 100 kits I'd like to see in mainstream injection molded plastic (not vacuform, thank you, and resin parts were still way over the horizon). I think out of those 100 that I listed over 90 of them have been done in mainstream models. Heck a lot have even been done in 1/48!

haha, Paul

I was sort of making a joke about the declining numbers in our scale, but, as you know, you have your Yahoo group, and I am a member of a dedicated 1/72 scale site, with 800+ members.

Things like this C-54 kit, the PBM kit, and Fundekals and Caracal, etc (just a few examples of many, many companies) show that 1/72 is more alive than many believe.

We do tend to run to being in "sub-groups" though, your Yahoo group is a small portion of what is on topic for 1/72ScaleAircraft, and my "on topic" is a small sub-set of your group.

Hi Rex

Both 1/72 scale modelers had a meeting and decided "if Don leaves us, we will release this kit"

the last 1/72 guy will get both an FJ-3 Fury and an F9F-6 Cougar right after I leave the scale

Then, would you please leave 1/72nd scale modeling now? ;)/>

Cheers

Eric B.

PS : This being said, DC-4 is good news..

Rex did not read the posts above, still you're right : 1/72 is well and alive yet there are some great airplanes that might still need a good 1/72 model (P-47N, F4U-4, F-84F, FJ-3, FJ-4 to list a few)

Cheers

EB.

Edited by Eric B.
  • 4 weeks later...

On 20 Oct, Rex said:...

...the last 1/72 guy will get both an FJ-3 Fury and an F9F-6 Cougar right after I leave the scale

And then Eric said

Then, would you please leave 1/72nd scale modeling now? ;)/>/>/>/>/>

Yes, if that's what it takes, you go Rex!!!

Gene K

I'm not aware of any specific external difference between a garden variety C-54 and a C-54M.

Nose profile is different due to the radar nose.Besides the nose and a few antennas,all other differences were internal

C-54 built as a C-54E 44-9093

An_USAF_C-54_Skymaster_zps0k0rghjv.jpg

Same C-54 re-built as a C-54M

scan0038.jpg

I noticed some earlier none re-built models were fitted with nose radars as well,one radar was close in profile to the metal nose and the other is different in profile

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Funny man, that Gene.

If you got your wish, you would find a biggggg box of 1/72 Phantoms on your doorstep, instantly making you 98 unbuilt models farther behind on your building.

:dontknow: Isn't a C-54M nothing more than a C-54E with the interior stripped out to haul coal during the Berlin Airlift? My source sez there were thirty eight E models done that way.

Other than the radome on the nose that Gene noted, I can't see much difference in any of the C-54s. Of course that excludes the Merlin powered and the weird Carvairs.

The photos posted with the Revell release info. show The unique window setup VC-54D for the Sacred Cow Roosevelt/Truman bird. That would make it more like a commercial DC-4 as it did not have the big cargo doors. I guess that would have some interest for some of us, but it is about as plain a C-54 as you could find. If that is really what the kit is, then the 1/72nd commercial guys (all 10 of them!! &^))should be really happy as they will get pretty much a usable DC-4.

A DC-4 just might sell pretty well, and coupled with a good C-54 would get us all!!

:dontknow: Isn't a C-54M nothing more than a C-54E with the interior stripped out to haul coal during the Berlin Airlift? My source sez there were thirty eight E models done that way.

Other than the radome on the nose that Gene noted, I can't see much difference in any of the C-54s. Of course that excludes the Merlin powered and the weird Carvairs.

The photos posted with the Revell release info. show The unique window setup VC-54D for the Sacred Cow Roosevelt/Truman bird. That would make it more like a commercial DC-4 as it did not have the big cargo doors. I guess that would have some interest for some of us, but it is about as plain a C-54 as you could find. If that is really what the kit is, then the 1/72nd commercial guys (all 10 of them!! &^))should be really happy as they will get pretty much a usable DC-4.

A DC-4 just might sell pretty well, and coupled with a good C-54 would get us all!!

:dontknow:/>/> Isn't a C-54M nothing more than a C-54E with the interior stripped out to haul coal during the Berlin Airlift? My source sez there were thirty eight E models done that way.

Most G's and M's were fitted with a standard passenger or VIP interior fitting and used for base flights or unit transports starting in the 50's.Without the later radar nose,as well the different window set up if true,I can ditch the idea of doing a C-54G or M in Air National Guard markings.Back in 1969 during a unit open house they gave family members 20-25 minute flights around the area,it was the first and only time I flew in an aircraft my dad crewed,wanting to model one is purely for sentimental reasons.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Actually there's a lot of potential for variation if the kit has a standard window arrangement.

Lots of C-54s were modified for unique missions, including by the Navy, plus small numbers of USAF examples for missions needing small numbers of planes, like rescue.

Sacred Cow stayed in the AF and got normal paint schemes so it doesn't have to be all natural metal.

The markings variations offer a lot of potential too.

Note the airways evaluation planes of the 50s with multi-color finishes, the 509th C-54s supporting the A-bomb B-29s at Tinian, etc.

There's lots of potential out there (and don't forget the Buffalo Airways C-54 simulating the Dam Busters raid).

Is there potential for this kit to attract a decal option for a Navy R5D? I'd be keen to do one in the finish that Minicraft have their 1/144 Operation Deep Freeze R5D in. I recall that plane or one very similar visiting our local airport around 1960 +/-, possibly the first 4 engined aircraft to land there. I recall going to the airport with my folks & being able to walk all around it. My, how times have changed.

Steve.

• 2 months later...