New 1/72 DC-4/C-54 from Revell

The windows are properly elliptical. Can't figure out what the extra fuselage segments are for. They are only segments and they appear to have the same window and door layout. Hmm. All the control surfaces are separate, too. Yumm!

The windows are properly elliptical. Can't figure out what the extra fuselage segments are for. They are only segments and they appear to have the same window and door layout. Hmm. All the control surfaces are separate, too. Yumm!

Those segments will be for the interior - in recent years Revell has taken to providing interior skins that build up before being trapped between the fuselage halves.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks real nice. My only gripe would be that the prominent rudder trim wheel looks a little too far forward on the instrument dash...easy fix. I think they may have attached the cargo seat backs backwards as well.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmm..I wonder if it'll be available at the IPMS Nationals next week. The Revell folks should at least have some sprues to drool over. Although if the rather steep price tag holds true, I'll pass until I can find one on sale or second-hand in a few years. I've got countless kits that I grabbed at the first opportunity for full price because I just "had to have them RIGHT NOW," but have been gathering dust in The Stash for years.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Hope one of them is for "Sacred Cow." I fully expected Revell to include it as an option as it is relatively simple, but it's not on the decal sheet. "Sacred Cow" in wartime markings was unremarkable, and later as Truman used it would have had the post-war insignias and at some point a panel with the flags of the nations visited was added. Gonna need it for my "Air Force One" collection.

The problem with Sacred Cow would be the custom executive interior, and the wheelchair elevator (which I understand FDR never actually used.)

SN

Edited by Steve N

Won't be much interior visible no matter what they give you. I think there may have been a different window arrangement. Roosevelt used Sacred Cow only once, I believe, for the trip to Yalta. Not sure if they used the elevator or not. Truman used the C-54 until the switch to the C-118 "Independence." He signed the National Security Act that formally created the USAF in 1947 aboard Sacred Cow.

Edited by Paul Boyer

From the USAF Museum website:

"To an untrained eye, it looks like any other C-54, but the Sacred Cow is unique. Beginning with a C-54A fuselage and C-54B wings, Douglas made numerous modifications. For example, the ailerons are different from any B model. Furthermore, the Sacred Cow underwent extensive interior modifications. One special feature is an elevator behind the passenger cabin to lift the president in his wheelchair in and out of the plane -- an otherwise difficult procedure. The passenger compartment includes a conference room with a large desk and a bulletproof picture window."

SN

It's out! Aviation Megastore has it in stock since yesterday, for €49,95. linkie

And bought one from them yesterday. Box is massive. During the quick look I discovered what looked like different wheel options for the main legs. Cause there are more wheels then needed.

Now need to find some good references for the DC-4/C-54, especially interior of a DC-4. Cause I'm not decided whether it will be a Netherlands Air Force C-54 or a KLM DC-4.

Now need to find some good references for the DC-4/C-54, especially interior of a DC-4. Cause I'm not decided whether it will be a Netherlands Air Force C-54 or a KLM DC-4.

Does this help?:

Groeten,

Andre