I don't get to Hobby Lobby all that often, finally managing today to get there and pick up not only some Testor's FS paints (got some of what I need, missing a few yet, and then got some I came to find I "don't need"--yeah, right, like you can EVER have "too many" different shades to work with) and got an ok deal on the 1/48 Monogram F4C.

Why did I think the IAF used C's AND E's? All I can find reference to is the E's. Please tell me the difference is VERY minor and EASILY corrected, or that they DID use C's. I'd hate to have to take the thing back...

Please tell me the difference is VERY minor and EASILY corrected

You *could* convert a Spitfire into an F-4E if you were determined and talented enough, but why would you? The F-4C and F-4E are radically different airplanes.

The noses are so different that it doesn't matter whether you did an RF-4 or an F-4E.

The radome is smaller on an E than a C (and the RF- is different than both).

The big question of scratch building for me is always what I have to do with curves and that's what a radome is.

There are also wing and landing gear differences that increase the mod requirements.

Why not build the C as a C and get an E to put side-by-side?

I remember reading something online that claimed that during the YKW, losses were so high that some USN A-4's and F-4B's were flown direct from carriers in the Med to Israel, where they were then rapidly put into service with the IAF.

I could see USN A-4's possibly but F-4B's are a bit of a long shot. Sure would make for a nice What If project though.

Just Google images of F-4C and F-4E and see if the differences are worth your time and effort to fix. Because of the existence of multiple F-4E kits, I doubt anyone has bothered converting a C kit.

I converted a Monogram F-4J into an F-4E using the nose of the otherwise forgettable Italeri F-4E/F - in 1981 :)

IDF/AF operated for a short while a pair of RF-4C's on loan from USAFE up untill the first RF-4E's arrived.

THERE'S an interesting idea...now I just need to go searching for pics...from what I've been finding so far of nothing but E's, I have the feeling it's not going to be an easy search. Do you have any history on them? If they are what I THINK they might be, this could be the perfect lead-in for a diorama I've been considering.

An F4 in USAF livery with half the USAF markings painted over, and only one or two covered over with the Star of David, with a crew in process of painting the new livery on. A US air crew walking away, an Israeli air crew standing by, weapons being loaded out, and a title plate at the front of the base of the display titling the piece, "Hurry it up, will 'ya?"

The IDF flew a number of F-4Es in USAF SEA camo. They were delivered direct from the USAF in Europe during the 1973 war to make good on attrition. They flew for some time in SEA camo colors with IDF markings.

THERE'S an interesting idea...now I just need to go searching for pics...from what I've been finding so far of nothing but E's, I have the feeling it's not going to be an easy search. Do you have any history on them? If they are what I THINK they might be, this could be the perfect lead-in for a diorama I've been considering.

An F4 in USAF livery with half the USAF markings painted over, and only one or two covered over with the Star of David, with a crew in process of painting the new livery on. A US air crew walking away, an Israeli air crew standing by, weapons being loaded out, and a title plate at the front of the base of the display titling the piece, "Hurry it up, will 'ya?"

Hi

The planes served only for a few monthes before flown back to Europe.

There're only 3 known photos of them,all can be found in AirDoc's book on Israeli Phantoms (Double Ugly label).

Here are two of them:

http://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=3312738&postcount=82

The planes have been allocated the serials 150 and 151.

Possibly, but the RF-4C is at least as difficult a conversion as the F-4E would be. The shape of the F-4E's nose was derived from the RF-4 nose, which (apart from a few details) was the same for all three reconnaissance versions. And you'd have to add camera ports.

TaiidanTomcat has already given the second-best option, but for my money the best is a toss-up between taking back your F-4C and getting an F-4E, or keeping the F-4C and getting an F-4E to keep it company.

Possibly, but the RF-4C is at least as difficult a conversion as the F-4E would be. edit

TaiidanTomcat has already given the second-best option, but for my money the best is a toss-up between taking back your F-4C and getting an F-4E, or keeping the F-4C and getting an F-4E to keep it company.

:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it any better.

Curt

Hi

The planes served only for a few monthes before flown back to Europe.

There're only 3 known photos of them,all can be found in AirDoc's book on Israeli Phantoms (Double Ugly label).

Here are two of them:

http://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=3312738&postcount=82

The planes have been allocated the serials 150 and 151.

Wow--I had no idea they were painted in Israeli desert...sure looks like.

Cool pics by the way!! THANKS!!!

Thanks for the input everyone. I really want to do the Israeli jets, and have decided based on the great info everyone has given me here to take it back and order the "E" models.

Thanks everyone!! Some GREAT stuff, and you learn something new every day!!

Now to get the 1/48 goodies for a Kurnass conversion... :dontknow: