NOAA Announces Discovery of U576 and Tanker "Bluefields"

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but NOAA announced yesterday the discovery of the German World War II Submarine U576 along with the wreck of tanker "Bluefields" approximately 30 miles off the coast of North Carolina in an area dubbed "The Graveyard of the Atlantic":

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2014/20141021_ww11_vessels.html

I know there are other ARC'ers like myself who enjoy reading about military archeology and discoveries of wrecks and other pieces of human military conflict. So I thought that I would pass this on in case some folks missed it.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Don.

Thanks for the link. Glad that the ships are out that far so that they (hopefully) won't be pillaged by divers.

The U-boat looks to be in very good condition, you can easily make out the conning tower and deck gun from the sonar imagery.

Glad you guys enjoyed the article. I am always on the lookout for stories and articles dealing with recent discoveries of war relics, wrecks of aircraft, ships, tanks/vehicles, weapons, and other equipment. There is so much material and equipment to be be discovered around the globe and each piece tells its own story and the story of those who last used it.

Regards,

Don.

My parents grew on on/around MCAS Cherry Point during WWII. They recount being out on the beach fishing and seeing and hearing gunfire (and presumably depth charges) and seeing ships burning. They learned to know the Coasties who patrolled the beaches on horseback.

Edited by Jennings