1/35 Academy - Merkava IV LIC

Hi all,

I decided to build 1/35 Merkava IV before I continue with my F-14D 1/32. I started this project about two months ago.

For this build I decided to use some aftermarket items. Here is the list of the ones I used:

- Fruilmodel metal tracks for Merkava IV

- Voyager antenna set

- DN Models chain and ball set

- Eduard BIG ED set (etching parts, armour shields, stowage basket)

- Eureka chain and rope

- BISON decals for Merkava IV Part II

- Legend IDF tank accessories

DSC_0336_zps053a6c0e.jpg

Fruild model metal tracks are beautiful.

20140822_153912000_iOS_zpsb0ac1726.jpg

20140820_171551133_iOS_zps0092aee8.jpg

20140823_114219944_iOS_zps70c54dda.jpg

For one track I used exactly 98 parts.

20140820_201452185_iOS_numbers_zpsd58b05be.jpg

Some extra detail:

121_zps67d9920b.jpg

For the anti-slip surface I have used embossing powder WOW applied with a hairspray:

20140814_212026595_iOS_zpse4ded195.jpg

20140814_212053392_iOS_zpsa1909617.jpg

302_zpsa9cb373e.jpg

Comparison with a real photo:

antislip_zpsaa15ef5b.png

Edited by tomfomes

Looks great so far!

I'm just getting started doing armor myself, and I've got a couple newbie questions for you. I've got the Meng kit with the minerollers, so I'll definately be watching you progress with your detailing and finishing techniques. I'm not familiar with the DN Models Ball and Chain set, do you have a closer picture you could share? I have the Legend set for the ball and chain, do you know how it compares? For the embossing powder, I'm guessing you sprayed the model with the hairspray and then sprinkled the powder over the top? Did you have to mask off the different areas you didn't want the embossing powder? The sand bags look great, how did you make them? Not familiar with the Eureka products, although they do look nice. Where did you get them from?

Sorry about all the questions!

-Dave

Looks great so far!

I'm just getting started doing armor myself, and I've got a couple newbie questions for you. I've got the Meng kit with the minerollers, so I'll definately be watching you progress with your detailing and finishing techniques. I'm not familiar with the DN Models Ball and Chain set, do you have a closer picture you could share? I have the Legend set for the ball and chain, do you know how it compares? For the embossing powder, I'm guessing you sprayed the model with the hairspray and then sprinkled the powder over the top? Did you have to mask off the different areas you didn't want the embossing powder? The sand bags look great, how did you make them? Not familiar with the Eureka products, although they do look nice. Where did you get them from?

Sorry about all the questions!

-Dave

Thank you Dave,

here you can find pictures and information about the DN model Ball and Chain set:

http://www.dnmodels.com/2014/01/ball-and-chain-set-for-merkava-1234.html

I don't know how it compares to the Legned set because I didn't see the Legend yet.

Regarding the anti-slip surface and use of embossing powder with hairspray: I did it panel after panel. I spreaded the hairspray with a brush on the panel and then sprinkled the powder using scalpel from height about 15cm (it looked like snowing ). This way I did the whole surface. It's "little" time consuming, but I think masking off all the areas you want anti-slip-free could take maybe even more time.

This is how I did the sand bags:

20140922_175820217_iOS_zps967b7951.jpg

This is the wepage for Heureka XXL:

http://www.eurekaxxl.com/

I got to it only accidentally. I think it was sent to me with some other order as a gift, but I don't remember which one. Probably with the Fruil metal tracks, but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Tomas

Thanks! Makes me want to break out my Merkava or my Achzarit to try out the anti skid technique. Brushing by hand makes more sense to me than spraying because you can make it look more natural and worn if you want. I think spraying it would make it too even.