Microscale decal setting solutions

I was asked by another modeler to repost this here. It originally appeared in the "jet modeling" forum as a reply to his problem with decals wrinkling after using the Microscale system. here it is:

Hi,

The Microscale decal setting solutions (Set & Sol) should always be used together for the best outcome. I found that out after a few attempts where the decal silvered even over a gloss coated model surface. As is, out of the bottle, Micro-set will form droplets on a gloss coat. That is really not acceptable for the purpose of creating a liquid surface free of air bubbles for the decal to bed down on. What I always do with a fresh bottle of Micro-Set solution is add 2 drops of liquid dish-washing soap to relax the surface tension of the liquid. Don't shake the bottle, just a stir. You will now see that wherever you have brushed the setting solution will be a puddle of liquid exactly on the area that your brush contacted the model surface. This is much better than chasing little droplets and hoping some of them will be under your decal. My results have been outstanding with this very simple answer to an aggravating problem. When the decal has nearly dried and the setting-solution has evaporated, place one drop of micro-sol over the decal and leave it alone. Some deep panel lines may require a sharp hobby knife run along the line before the Micro-sol to melt the edges down into the seam. When the decal is dried, overcoat with clear acrylic like Johnson's Future to effect the painted-on look.

Hope this may help you.

Brgds,

ED Okun

I've been using Micro Set & Sol since the seventies, and never had a problem with the Set not spreading out until I bought a fresh bottle about 2 years ago. The new one would not flow out & cover the area at all. I assumed they had changed the formula a little, but evidently not. I appreciate your tip about the dishwashing liquid and will give it a try, as the 20 year old bottle I'm using is about gone.

Thanks.

BW

BW, I totally concur. I've noticed the same thing with the bottle I bought a couple of years ago. Rather than spreading nicely, the solution ended up forming into little droplets on the decal. I figured it was supposed to be like that but then when I returned to the model the next day, I'd see that the decal was marred or stained in the spots where the droplets had settled.

Ed, thank you for posting the info. I've often wondered if a drop of soap in the setting solution would help it out. I'm going to do that tonight when I'm down at my work bench.

Eric

I've used microscale setting a softening solutions with success in past years of late I've been using solv-aset with success, however I find it a hotter formula than the Microscale offering and somewhat more difficult to use and not ruin the decals. It takes longer in some situations; which involves more patience, but the end result is very satisfying in regards to how it really flattens (pulls the decal right down to the model surface) the decal to the point of looking very much like it's painted on; which in turn also aids to eliminate silvering which is a big PITA to anyone who has ever built and painted a plastic model in any genre with a matte/flat finish. Gloss coating is added insurance against this malady to all modelers.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Frogman13,

Thanks for the tip. While I haven't had any issues with the Micro system, it sure doesn't hurt to add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to be on the safe side. I already use it in the water to loosen the decals from its carrier paper.

Joel