Outer space, UFO's and Space Travel

Last night as I sat outside gazing at the night sky as I often do; looking up at the lights in the night sky; I recalled hearing on one of the PBS shows how the light we see at night left the stars, planets, and other objects beyond our solar system more than a million years ago; with that thought in mind I wondered about UFO's and their origins. If they are from the Milky Way, or someplace farther out; do they possess the technology to have spacecraft that travel at a speed the equivalent of Warp speed, the imagined capability of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek space ships. If they do where are they coming from?. As a believer in creation; often at times I'm thrown in a quandary by what some members of the scientific community have found, shown, and proven, and what they theorize. Not having inside info to the creators plans or operations it gives me pause, and cause to believe that it's all possible, and still hold on to my beliefs and faith; yet I'm still caught up in the thought how far must these supposed beings must have traveled to get here, and how long it took. Even in Star Trek TNG the "Enterprise" was only a Galaxy class craft, in that line of thinking space travel is simply "Awe inspiring", add to that intergalactic travel is more than "mind boggling" it's mind warping. It really freaks me out when I have think the stars I see are within the Milky Way, no where close to Andromeda; which is ever further still. The thought of how many lifetimes Terrans would need to make it to the closest star kind of puts a damper on going way way out there. If the theory of curved space is proven all this may change, and those UFO's may just be able to come from a long way out there. I won't go into inter-dimensional travel my circuit breakers are not equipped to handle a load like that, though some; again theorize that UFO's have their origin in that realm. Have I seen one, I can't say that I have, if I did I wasn't aware of what it was.

The real burr in my saddle, tack in my shoe is; what are UFO's?, and how far have they come; are they ships akin to a frigate operating on its own, or like a hornet on a Carrier, even still a probe (a higher classed drone)?. It cannot be argued that they exists, reports have been going on since way farther back than 1947, by Native Americans in the 17th,18th centuries, even from Columbus on one of his voyages to what we now know as the Americas. The hieroglyphs of the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas lend credence to these reports not to mention the "Plains of Nazca" and what they represent. Ancient architecture plays into the discussion also, with how similar structures exist all over the globe, constructed in a time in history; when it was thought no intercontinental communication existed. Do UFO's exist, yes millions of people have seen or thought they have seen them, who or what they are is open to conjecture, theory and downright SWAG.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Well, the first thing I would say is that there's a confusion between the terminology of 'Unidentified Flying Object' (UFO) with 'Alien Spacecraft'. 95% of 'UFO's' are terrestrial objects that you just don't know what they are. That makes them (possible) objects, that are (possibly) flying, that are unidentified (by you). An Alien spacecraft is something all together completely different.

Most 'scientists' will argue that it's impossible for aliens to travel the distances that are involved. They base that, near religious, belief on the current understanding of human science thought up by humans. "If we can't do it, then nobody can." attitude. Most discount the possibility that a civilization more advanced, is going to know more stuff. In the 1800's 'Scientists' claimed that passenger travel by train would be impossible because humans couldn't travel faster than 21 miles an hour or they'd be injured. But, in less than 100 years, humans manged to to go from horse drawn wagons, to trains, to automobiles, to heavier than air travel, to breaking the sound barrier, to landing a man on the moon. So with that, imagine what a civilization with 1000 or 100,000 years head start on us could accomplish.

But then again, "most" scientists don't bother to even look at the evidence that is available. Why? Because there's such a stigma around the subject that if they did look in to it, they'd lose their grants or not be allowed to publish any more papers. There exists reams of RADAR data of objects circling airliners, chasing air force interceptors, heck even being shot at. Yet 'scientists' will tell you that none of that data exits, or if it does, it's just a radar reflection off a seagull flying over swamp gas.

There are a lot of theories and supposed evidence and such that I put zero stock in. Roswell for example, I believe is a moot point. Something crashed but it wasn't an alien space craft. Shagg Harbour on the other hand, now that is a very interesting case that you never hear much about. There is a small bit of evidence out there, ancient artwork being some of it, that does make me sort of go; 'Hummmmmmm... that's very interesting'

Edited by RiderFan

Most 'scientists' will argue that it's impossible for aliens to travel the distances that are involved. They base that, near religious, belief on the current understanding of human science thought up by humans. "If we can't do it, then nobody can." attitude.

Well, the universe looks like it works the same as far out as we can see it, and if we discover something about the universe here it makes sense that it would apply out there too.

Most discount the possibility that a civilization more advanced, is going to know more stuff. In less than 100 years humans manged to to go from horse drawn wagons to landing a man on the moon. Imagine what a civilization with 1000 or 100,000 years head start on us could accomplish.

Because technology doesn't go in straight lines - it goes fast at first when extremely inefficient technology is made more efficient, and slows down when it reaches physical limits. We aren't driving any faster than we did 50 years ago. Our fighters aren't flying faster than ones built in the 1970's. Chip makers are spending more effort on multiple cores and multiple pipelines and better caches than they are in faster clock speeds. Advancements in speeds slows down and eventually stops. And the top speed of the universe is of great concern to scientists now - even if they aren't trying to build a FTL spaceship, they are certainly trying to send information around the world as quickly as possible. They see what those physical limits are, and we're not getting past them.

But then again, "most" scientists don't bother to even look at the evidence that is available. Why? Because there's such a stigma around the subject that if they did look in to it, they'd lose their grants or not be allowed to publish any more papers.

You don't know scientists very well. They would love to prove something weird is going on. That's the real road to scientific glory, and more than that, that's why they went into science in the first place. The big disappointment of the Large Hadron Collider is that they found what they were looking for right where they expected it. It might be evidence for the Standard Model, but it hardly advances science to find out what you knew yesterday is the same thing you know today. The problem is the proof. All those thing you listed aren't. They almost always turn out to be something mundane when examined. And even if they end up being a mystery, that's all it is - a mystery. Not being able to explain x doesn't mean x is evidence in your favor.

If aliens are here, WHY are they here? We have nothing to offer them beyond CHON. Is that enough? It surely isn't for our science.

I see two possibilities regarding UFOs -- we're being scouted as resource or our concept of science is correct and there are no aliens. Space is BIG.

If aliens are here, WHY are they here? We have nothing to offer them beyond CHON. Is that enough? It surely isn't for our science.

I see two possibilities regarding UFOs -- we're being scouted as resource or our concept of science is correct and there are no aliens. Space is BIG.

Being an Archaeologist I can kind of see them being Anthropologists in a way. You know studying the less evolved species in a way. I truly do believe that they exist. The universe is just to big of a place for us to be the only planet with life on it.

Well, the universe looks like it works the same as far out as we can see it, and if we discover something about the universe here it makes sense that it would apply out there too.

500 years ago, everyone knew the universe revolved around a flat earth, so it must have been the same everywhere right? I would hazzard a guess that those beings that are 1000, 10000, 100000 years ahead of us probably knew that wasn't the case 500 years ago. So no, what we see is probably not even close to correct.

Because technology doesn't go in straight lines - it goes fast at first when extremely inefficient technology is made more efficient, and slows down when it reaches physical limits. We aren't driving any faster than we did 50 years ago. Our fighters aren't flying faster than ones built in the 1970's. Chip makers are spending more effort on multiple cores and multiple pipelines and better caches than they are in faster clock speeds. Advancements in speeds slows down and eventually stops. And the top speed of the universe is of great concern to scientists now - even if they aren't trying to build a FTL spaceship, they are certainly trying to send information around the world as quickly as possible. They see what those physical limits are, and we're not getting past them.

That is simply not true. 50 years ago we did not have cars that could do 435kmh. In the 1970's we didn't have scram jets pushing aircraft at mach 6. Unmanned aircraft at that. Who would have even considered that in the 70s?? In the 40's we saw the speed of sound as a physical limit. We were sure that you would implode if you went that fast. So those physical limits may not be so limiting.

A Canadian company is now selling, commercially, quantum computers for the home. So no, not all chip manufactures are trying to simply stuff in more transistors. Quantum Computers have completely revolutionized computing. That PC/Mac sitting on your desk will be as obsolete as the VCR in about 5 years.

You don't know scientists very well. They would love to prove something weird is going on. That's the real road to scientific glory, and more than that, that's why they went into science in the first place. The big disappointment of the Large Hadron Collider is that they found what they were looking for right where they expected it. It might be evidence for the Standard Model, but it hardly advances science to find out what you knew yesterday is the same thing you know today. The problem is the proof. All those thing you listed aren't. They almost always turn out to be something mundane when examined. And even if they end up being a mystery, that's all it is - a mystery. Not being able to explain x doesn't mean x is evidence in your favor.

Well, unfortunately I do know them well. Science is the new religion. Do you know there are still 'scientists' that refuse to visit Gobekli Tepe because there's no way human's were organized well enough 14,000 years ago to build it? Yes, those PHD's are on record as saying that. Why? Because if that's the case then everything they've been teaching is wrong, and their jobs are on the line now.

And by the way, those things that I mentioned, the reason I mentioned them is because, after extremely careful examination, by multiple disciplines and various air forces, they've still not proven then were anything 'mundane'. Do some research into the subject. I mean REAL research, don't just listen to the debunkers that only tell you half the information, or omit the parts they don't have an answer for.

Edited by RiderFan

Aliens and UFO's

There are many ideas and theories on such including having Earth been visited by such. Some people explain vast space travel via worm holes etc. The idea that the universe is like the surface of an expanding balloon with all the galaxies on said surface. To travel from one to the other looks to require much like riding our Earthly oceans riding the surface till we get to the next place. But worm holes are like burrowing through holes on a straight line meaning distance be traveled may be shorter.

An interesting experiment on the topic of distance that one can try with others is to take a piece of paper and make TWO points. Ask another person to take a pen or pencil and draw the shortest line between two points. To which most will just do that, draw a straight line to the two points. Ask them if they agree that this is the shortest distance between the two points. Most if not all will say "yes". Then you take the paper and tell them that you can produce a shorter distance between both points. You then simply fold the paper to where the two points touch each other and note that this is the actual shortest distance. It kinda makes clear how a worm hole may work.

As to other thoughts about aliens and UFO's, some feel that they are NOT from our universe but may be transiting through another universe/dimension in some form of time alignment with ours. Another dimension so to speak. Where in reality each dimension is in its each own universe and not in contact with any other dimension, but for some reason maybe these two dimensions touch causing life forms and objects to be viewable among each universe or dimension. Some theoretical physicists feel that we may have endless "verses" all as dimensional bubbles each unto themselves and maybe these bubbles touch at times to intersect and maybe as UFOs and aliens etc.

I also can see this as ghosts many talk about. Many say that when they see ghosts they see forms of life usually dressed in clothes and often maybe faded or dreamy etc. But if a ghost is the spirit of a dead person here, I can accept the idea that these may be balls of energy, light and such but it cannot explain why people see these ghosts dressed in clothes. Clothing has no life nor spirit so if a passed away human can be ghostly they surely would be without clothes, BUT! if the ghosts many say they see are maybe living beings from anther dimension including a time dimension that for some reason can be seen in ours for a period of time then there is no reason to not see them dressed in clothing of whatever time or period.

Anyways its all theoretical and can be very interesting. B)

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

No true scientist would be threatened by or refuse to visit Gobekli Tepe.

If you believe in life elsewhere in the Universe you're probably right

If you believe that aliens are visiting Earth and abducting people , are the actual builders of Stone Henge and the Pyramids, the Gods of ancient stories

then you probably watch Bigfoot Hunters wondering if this is the episode where they finally catch one, or at least attain physical evidence.

Electronic emissions from earth have only been travelling the cosmos for 100 years or so and scientists today have been scanning the skies for planets that may be able to hold life. None are within 100 light years ( I don't believe without actually referencing) And even when they find them the general population should not be excited about travelling there as it is not possible and if it where the humans that got there would be vastly different than the ones that left.

Putting science fiction aside for science fact there is no physical evidence that anything has been anywhere on Earth from an alien civilization. Science is not a new religion, science is based on evidence, religion is based on faith. Many today who want to believe (Mulder) often confuse the two accepting evidence with little validity and hold that the inability to disprove is proof in and of itself.

I think Venus is the most reported UFO. The physical problems with space travel are vast. Just because there "could be" a civilization somewhere in the infinity of space that has travelled through interstellar space does not indicate that there is. It's as likely as a 3 legged snail. may be possible, likely not until proven otherwise.

Everyone gets excited by the fantastic possibility. Some through the suspension of disbelief, others through ignorance.

I too have spent many a night watching the skies, counting satellites, meteor showers, looking through my telescope at Nebulae and clusters.

Having said all this, after 2005 I've never looked at the nights sky the same. That night my wife and I were sitting outside when a large black triangle flew slowly and silently over our heads.

Aliens, why? Simplest explanation is usually the best it's the government.

I always look up (all around because if by chance we were looking southeast we would never have been aware it was there.) at the night sky and wonder if I'll get the chance to see it again. And next time will be different-I'll report it to the police and jump in my car, grab my DSLR and chase!

HockingHillsShawnee2014038b_zps70febfa0.jpg

Hypothetically speaking, looking at this from the other angle or side. Suppose you are an benevolent ET intelligence and you have been observing planet Earth for a number of years; say around 2-300 would you?

1. Keep observing and maybe discerning if it's inhabitants will change from their violent nature

2. Stop with the mindset they are incapable or worthy of contact due to their traits and characteristics

3. Make contact with them, on the chance they will prove to be intelligent enough to accept such contact without being reactionary (defensively)

4. Leave a sign that will show them you are there or have been there without their knowing

5. Contact them thru a communications medium and offer a first contact meeting

6. Make it known you are far more advanced and they have nothing to fear, as you have been among them for X amount of time and remained benevolent.

7. Provide proof of your advancement with non military technology exhibition beneficial to the entire planet.

They want our precious bodily fluids...

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

500 years ago, everyone knew the universe revolved around a flat earth, so it must have been the same everywhere right? I would hazzard a guess that those beings that are 1000, 10000, 100000 years ahead of us probably knew that wasn't the case 500 years ago. So no, what we see is probably not even close to correct.

Aristarchus

2300 years ago he knew it was round and where it, the moon and sun were in relation to one another...

Regarding your religious beliefs Greywolf

Science will never be able to identify the origin of the universe or why random molecules came alive-why does anything have to eat, breath and procreate? sSeems to me the Universe was going along just fine without life-scientifically speaking that is.

]

They want our precious bodily fluids...

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

From The Twilight Zone episode, To Serve Man.

The day arrives for Chambers's excursion to the Kanamits' planet. Just as he mounts the spaceship's boarding stairs, his staffer Patty appears. He waves, smiling, but she runs toward him in great agitation. While being held back by a Kanamit guard, Patty cries: "Mr. Chambers, don't get on that ship! The rest of the book To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!" Chambers tries to run back down the spaceship's stairs, but a Kanamit blocks him, the stairs retract, and the ship immediately lifts off. :lol:/>/>

One of the many very good Twilight Zone episodes.

BTW. the recently passed Richard Keil (Jaws in James Bond) was the Kanamit character in the scene.

As to alien motives if such have and are appearing and or monitoring Earth, I doubt they'd have any harmful motives. To be so advanced as they'd have to be shows me that they'd have little need to hurt or otherwise conquer us on a fly speck planet in the Milky Way Galaxy.

But it all make good and terrifying Sci-Fi. B)/>

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

Funny how everyone stopped seeing UFO's (as in Alien Spaceships, not simply an object in the sky that they could not identify) right about the same time everyone started constantly carrying phones with cameras inside them...

Vince

Edited by vince14

1. Keep observing and maybe discerning if it's inhabitants will change from their violent nature

Just to point out, a HUGE majority of humans are not violent. I'd say the fact that people even notice violence is indicative of the fact that it is not of our nature. Just sayin'

Bill

We are the subject of a intergalactic comedy show. Kinda like "The Kardashians", it's called "The Humans".

During my last procedure, the master Grey told me it's a huge hit.

Southpark Episode 97 "cancelled" :

Najix then explains he and the other aliens make a reality show called Earth, and all of Earth's species, such as Asians, bears, ducks, Jews, deer, and Hispanics, are taken from their respective home planets for the purposes of the show, and everyone around the world is unknowingly being filmed and watched.

The scientist discovers this at the same time on Earth by translating the binary code that resulted from reversing the polarity of the message he proceeds to tell everyone, which leads the alien network heads to cancel the show and prepare to destroy the Earth. The scientist concludes that the show is cancelled thanks to associating the term "chaos theory" up to "cancelled", then uses his word association skills with the word "jackets" to come up with a plan to send the ship a computer virus to disable their computers. Chef responds, "That doesn't make any goddamned sense!" When word spreads to the rest of the planet that Earth is one big reality show, humans become elated that they're famous.

In outer space, Najix is informed that Earth is being cancelled, because humans' knowledge that they are a reality television show has ruined the program's quality.

Funny how everyone stopped seeing UFO's (as in Alien Spaceships, not simply an object in the sky that they could not identify) right about the same time everyone started constantly carrying phones with cameras inside them...

Vince

You still get some. It's become far too easy to hoax on a cell phone so most of those videos are being dismissed anyway. There's actually an app that will insert a UFO into any photo you want, right on the phone. That said, there's some really compelling video taken with cell phones from Mexico and the middle east.

Edited by RiderFan

The biggest conceptual leap we seem to make is assuming that aliens (even hyper-advanced ones) would think like us and have similar motives. It seems to me that a lifeform that evolved (or was created) as part of a completely different environment from earth would be so different that we would have trouble even recognizing each other as "life," let alone be able to communicate. There's also the fact that in addition to vast distances, there is also the time scale to consider. Going strictly by the accepted scientific measure, life on earth has only existed for a billion or two years..and sentient life for an infinitesimally small fraction of that. The likelihood that two species similar enough to be recognizable to one another and able to communicate existing at the same time is vanishingly small. That's not to say it COULDN'T happen, but it's not very likely. That said, in a universe as big as ours I can't imagine that our planet is the only one that has ever supported life.

I regard the present day stories of alien abductions and visitations just a modern spin on the old stories of people being abducted, possessed or tormented by demons and witches and such. We've largely abandoned the old supernatural beliefs, but there's still some psychological need there so we've substituted a "science based" mythology. It's interesting that the modern alien abduction mythos has been adapted to our modern frame of reference..including taking biological samples and "tagging" specimens before releasing them back "into the wild." While I personally don't give the alien abduction stories and credence, I realize that there are honest people who sincerely believe it has happened to them. I don't personally have any particular religious beliefs, but I know plenty of people who are convinced that they have experienced a divine presence. It's not for me to say they're right or wrong, after all "faith" is defined as a belief in something that cannot be scientifically proven or disproven.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Back in 1972 I took my starlight scope and pointed it straight up for a couple minutes instead of at the river cutting the base in half or at the jungle outside the perimeter fence. You would be amazed at how many stars it picked up. More than I ever saw before or after that.

As far as U.F.O.s go, after our base had a widely witnessed light hovering the bomber pads and bomb dump, we went about our business of the war and eventually forgot about it, for the most part. Or at least many never talked about it again. I can still remember most of what happened but who knows about the hundreds of others that night. Either way, what can you do? You just get on with things, who'll believe you anyway?

Hmmmm, I'm not a scientist but and engineer, but I do have a PhD and I have worked with many scientists in research organisations over the years. My field is aerospace (applied aerodynamics and then, in the last decade or so, flight dynamics and flying qualities). So I really cannot speak for people who have PhD's in paleontology and anthropology, but it is very difficult to believe that any of them, except maybe the most superstitious of individuals, would discard properly verified information. However, most of their work do revolve in separating rumour from actual verifyable evidence, and that might be why they sometimes seem slow to bite on some of the more outlandish theories. Also, I think most of us do hope we do find verifyable evidence of alien life, and in particular alien life capable of interstellar travel, because it would clearly demonstrate that the percieved physical limitations of long-distance space travel can be overcome. Us engineers are also rather dependend on scientists, because as soon as they get their ducks in a row as far as a particular theory goes, it is our turn to see how we can harness it.

Just a few points that I picked up though:

500 years ago, everyone knew the universe revolved around a flat earth, so it must have been the same everywhere right?

Actually, we just didn't know. At that point, scientists hadn't properly sat down to analyse the evidence, so everyone just defaulted to the common understanding of the day, namely that the earth was flat. As soon as the scientists started putting all the evidence together, it was rather obvious that it wasn't flat.

I would hazzard a guess that those beings that are 1000, 10000, 100000 years ahead of us probably knew that wasn't the case 500 years ago. So no, what we see is probably not even close to correct.

I disagree with the last part of your conclusion - what they "saw" 500 years ago was pretty much correct (referring here to the obvervations of the stars, night and day, etc). It was just not properly analysed and interpreted. The more modern process of scientific theory should have shown them that the earlier postulate, namely that the earth is flat, is not supported by the observations, and that a new hypothesis is needed that fits better with the information available. The one of a "spherical earth" (well, more-or-less) would have fit the data the best and that is what should have become the accepted theory. Just, at the time, no-one did this and the "flat earth theory" was perpetuated. In fact, people just "believed it", despite all the evidence to the contrary.

That is simply not true. 50 years ago we did not have cars that could do 435kmh. In the 1970's we didn't have scram jets pushing aircraft at mach 6. Unmanned aircraft at that. Who would have even considered that in the 70s??

Again, I disagree. The original poster was quite correct that after the initial leaps and bounds, certain aspects of atmospheric flight have slowed down significantly in their development. The improvements now come in other ways - flight safety, better use of information technology, continued improvements in flight efficiency (lighter structures, improved aerodynamics, etc) and my favourite considering what I work with, handling and flying qualities. However, it is a while since we saw the huge leaps in speed for example that we saw during- and just post WWII. About the 1970's - the X-15 already set the Mach 6.7 speed record in 1967. Scramjet development already started in the 1950's and ramjets were of course used quite extensively by the 1970's. Unmanned aircraft go back to WWI. So, I really don't understand why you would think that these things, or putting it all together to create unmanned scramjets flying at Mach 6 would not have been considered in the 70s. Proper use of scramjets is one of those things that require very good prediction and analysis capability, which is why it took longer to develop than other areas, but the concept and its feasibility was definitely already under consideration by then.

In the 40's we saw the speed of sound as a physical limit. We were sure that you would implode if you went that fast. So those physical limits may not be so limiting.

Now this is simply not true. There were superstitions around flying at the speed of sound, most of them possibly originating around pilots who experienced phenomena such as Mach tuck at high subsonic Mach numbers, but I think you would have serious difficulty finding an aerodynamicist or scientist working in the field who would either see the speed of sound as a physical limit or that anything would implode when you went that fast. There were serious challenges in regard to drag, thrust, stability and control that had to be overcome, but these were simply solved one by one like engineers and scientists tend to do. There was no real question about feasibility - we knew of many objects flying faster than the speed of sound by the 40's: Bullets, larger projectiles, rockets, etc. We even knew that it was possible to control things at that speed (see the V-2 for example). It was just a matter of time before getting a manned aircraft to fly at that speed.

Well, unfortunately I do know them well. Science is the new religion. Do you know there are still 'scientists' that refuse to visit Gobekli Tepe because there's no way human's were organized well enough 14,000 years ago to build it? Yes, those PHD's are on record as saying that. Why? Because if that's the case then everything they've been teaching is wrong, and their jobs are on the line now.

Well, I am glad you realised you needed to put the 'scientists' in quotation marks... I honestly think you are completely off the mark by labeling science a religion. The central component of religion is belief without questioning. Science is the exact opposite. Show me a scientist who would not love to conclusively prove some theory of one of his buddies wrong. In fact, a scientist can build his fame entirely on that - proving some fundamental theory wrong. It is just not that easy to do though, because a hypothesis needs a huge amount of substantiation before it becomes a scientific theory, so by its very nature it is pretty difficult to disprove. If science is a "religion" as you state, science must be the only religion that is built on the very foundation that you have to continually question and try to disprove every single fundamental "belief" that it is built on.

Back to UFO's though: I still hope they find conclusive proof of their existence. Even better, I hope one day we can actually make "contact" and communicate with space-faring aliens - just imagine what we can learn from them and the possibilities it would hold for mankind. Unfortunately, I am quite sceptical about the so-called evidence we have seen to date. None of it is conclusive... yet...