Strenghening Land Gear

Hey Guys:

I am building my first 1/48 Monogram B-25, and man is it tail-heavy! I used so much nose weight (don't think it's too much) that I am concerned the front landing gear may bend or warp over time. The plane is nearly ready for paint so there is no going back and replacing the gear with white metal without tearing the kit apart. I really want the plane to stand on it's own gear without propping it up on anything. Does anyone have a suggestion for making the front gear stronger? Epoxy, wire, anything. Or, am I concerned for nothing?

Thanks,

Barry

Barry,

If you are concerned about bending, warping or breaking the kit supplied landing gears, Scale Aircraft Conversions (SAC) makes a white metal replacement landing gear for the Revell/Mongram B-25J. The part number for that is 48055. I have seen SAC products widely available on Ebay. Someone here may know where the best place other than Ebay would be for their products because they have an extensive line. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen

It's not the front LG you need to worry about, it's the main LG--they will bear most of the weight of the model.

The front LG will be lightly loaded at best. Think of it this way. If you have a tail sitter, the front LG have no load and the main LG bear the most of the load. If add just enough weight to bring the front LG down, that is, a good puff of air causes it to sit on the tail, you have a very tiny load on the front LG and the vast majority of the load on the main LG. Even if you add enough weight to bring it solidly on the front LG, it's still only a fraction of the load on the main LG.

You can easily prove this to yourself. Take any trike-gear plane you have. Compare the force you need to push the tail down to the weight of the model.

Edited by David N Lombard

Thanks guys for the tips. I was wondering if there was a need to worry. I may try the wire idea just in case. I would love to use the metal gear, but it would require me to tear open the fuselage..which I am not of fan of. Metal gear WILL be used on all B-25's going forward (have a few in the stash).

Barry