1/72nd F-89D/J decals

Hi Everyone,

I see Pavla has released some resin updates for the 1/72nd Revell F-89D/J. Are there any aftermarket decals for the Revell kit? I've got the first boxing of the kit ad I'm not too excited about the using the kit decals.

Thanks,

John

The latest issue of the Revell Germany kit has two interesting markings; a J from the 59th FIS at Goose Bay, and a D from the 61st at Ernest Harmon.

Skylancer also has a sheet of Js from the 54th, 58th, and 321st:

http://65.61.4.110/page2.htm

Skylancer appears to be in suspended animation. They're still around and Don Wood is as enthusiastic as ever. But "Future Releases" on their webpage list interesting items for release sometime in 2001.

Hi Everyone,

I see Pavla has released some resin updates for the 1/72nd Revell F-89D/J. Are there any aftermarket decals for the Revell kit? I've got the first boxing of the kit ad I'm not too excited about the using the kit decals.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Right now, the easiest choice is the Wolfpak sheet. It's been out for only a few months, so it should still be readily available.

The Skylancer sheet is long out of production. I spoke with Mr. Wood at the 2011 Nationals, and he had sold out of those sheets long ago. He currently sells aviation prints, but he has spoken about restarting Skylancer, but time will tell if he is successful.

I don't know if MicroScale/SuperScale ever came out with a Scorpion sheet, I don't remember seeing one, but they pumped out over 1000 1/72 decal sheets, so it is possible.

One other option would be if you can get the sheet from the Academy F-89J kit. It has the marking options for the 178th FIS, North Dakota ANG, in NMF, before they applied "The Happy Hooligans" on their aircraft. The other option is for the 124th FIS, Iowa ANG in ADC grey with a red and white tail.

Wish somebody had done this on a decal sheet, but I got tired of waiting. To me, this was the most attractive scheme applied to an ADC gray Scorp. This is the Revell 1/72 kit. The red, white, and blue were painted, the tiny stars on the tanks came from an ancient Microscale sheet for wargaming tanks, and the "MINNESOTA" on the tail is individual letters from a Microscale model railroad sheet. Top tip: Instead of trying to align the letters on the model (and that would be doubly awkward on this model), I applied them onto a narrow red stripe decal that matched the background red. The narrow strip provides a straight base line (the lines are our friends) for the letters. When dry, the strip was carefully cut to size and placed ON a drop of water, allowing the decal paper to soften and loosen the stripe without flooding the top of the decal and loosening the letters. The commanders stripes are also red decal strips on a wide white strip. All a careful operation.

Scorpionweb.jpg

Edited by Paul Boyer

I don't know if MicroScale/SuperScale ever came out with a Scorpion sheet, I don't remember seeing one, but they pumped out over 1000 1/72 decal sheets, so it is possible.

You're right. Superscale released a decal sheet for the F-89 (ref. number 72-640). There is a review here:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/72/ss72640.htm

Regards