1/48 KITTY HAWK MARINE F-35B Lightning II

Having built one of these myself, you have my respect. I know the beast that is putting one of them together, which isn't nearly as bad as masking off all that RAM coating for paint, which was almost more painful than the build process. While I love what you did, the fact that this plane doesn't sit like this traditionally (or ever really) is one of the biggest draw backs of the kit. Granted, kit manufacturers sometimes take a back seat to realism for something that looks cool, despite if it "really happens in the real world". The only real authenticity critique I would have to offer is that the position lights on the wing tips should be frosted with Tamiya smoke, as the actual lens covers on the real deal are roughly that dark translucent color as well. Outside of that, well done. Definitely one to be proud of.

Nice work!But the horizontal and flaps should be drooping~ :woot.gif:/>

Having built one of these myself, you have my respect. I know the beast that is putting one of them together, which isn't nearly as bad as masking off all that RAM coating for paint, which was almost more painful than the build process. While I love what you did, the fact that this plane doesn't sit like this traditionally (or ever really) is one of the biggest draw backs of the kit. Granted, kit manufacturers sometimes take a back seat to realism for something that looks cool, despite if it "really happens in the real world". The only real authenticity critique I would have to offer is that the position lights on the wing tips should be frosted with Tamiya smoke, as the actual lens covers on the real deal are roughly that dark translucent color as well. Outside of that, well done. Definitely one to be proud of.

thanks for the suggestion,its helpful and I will attention it next time

While I agree with the flaps drooping I do not agree with the horizontal drooping. I work around these every day and have not seen more than a few yet where the horizontal stabs droop or are out of line with the rest of the wing. You did a wonderful job on the kit its just too bad Kittyhawk went out and got in a hurry to introduce this kit because the RAM panels are way too thick. It is the only thing I see wrong with your master piece besides the weathering to my eye being a bit too much.

These planes are kept pretty clean and aside from the hard water stains from water running down the sides of the aircraft and drying about the only place you see weathering on these things is the belly and the landing gear and doors. I also don't agree with the part about the marker lights as on USMC aircraft they are crystal clear and not a smoke color from what I have seen and I look at them every day.

Over all I think you did a fantastic job on the paint. It is very hard to mask all the lines you did and the colors match near spot on. The only problem with modeling these aircraft is the paint they have on them almost blend into one color at a certain angle. Which for all of us modelers is almost impossible to replicate.

Here's a pic to help with what I am talking about.

15522955588_6be9722758_b.jpgf35b_flyby_bottom2_20120226 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

Edited by Devilleader501
  • 1 month later...

While I agree with the flaps drooping I do not agree with the horizontal drooping. I work around these every day and have not seen more than a few yet where the horizontal stabs droop or are out of line with the rest of the wing. You did a wonderful job on the kit its just too bad Kittyhawk went out and got in a hurry to introduce this kit because the RAM panels are way too thick. It is the only thing I see wrong with your master piece besides the weathering to my eye being a bit too much.

These planes are kept pretty clean and aside from the hard water stains from water running down the sides of the aircraft and drying about the only place you see weathering on these things is the belly and the landing gear and doors. I also don't agree with the part about the marker lights as on USMC aircraft they are crystal clear and not a smoke color from what I have seen and I look at them every day.

Over all I think you did a fantastic job on the paint. It is very hard to mask all the lines you did and the colors match near spot on. The only problem with modeling these aircraft is the paint they have on them almost blend into one color at a certain angle. Which for all of us modelers is almost impossible to replicate.

Here's a pic to help with what I am talking about.

15522955588_6be9722758_b.jpgf35b_flyby_bottom2_20120226 by Devilleader501, on Flickr

very clear~~thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

It realy looks a great built. I did like most the "weathering" on the top surfaces. Soon I am starting my C-variant and I am wondering what "paints" did you use and how you achieved the "weathered look"... pleeeeaaaase tell me...!!!...thanks!

• 4 weeks later...