F/A-18E in 1/72, Revell OOB

I like jets, as soon as you have done the cockpit you simply glue the whole thing together and that´s it... (nearly ;)/> ).

The instrument panel has some nice decals, but for some reason all MFDs are displayed in grey - I want to have my Hornet up and running, so I painted the MFDs with clear green.

IMG_5114_zps2cb2b6cf.jpg

I also did the jet intakes. Attaching these to the main body of the jet was a small challenge, I wonder if I did anything wrong? I had to use some force to get the intake tunnels into the jet...

IMG_5115_zps438f1c66.jpg

X-Wing!

IMG_5116_zps9c37d8b2.jpg

And the nose attached:

IMG_5117_zps09ab92f2.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

The Hornet sits on it´s own gears:

IMG_5118_zps0d43114d.jpg

IMG_5119_zps93d93dba.jpg

And the pylons are on. For the center pylon you usually need to drill some holes into the belly, but the instructions forgot to mention it...

IMG_5120_zps611c3500.jpg

I also added the missile rails for the AIM-120s under pylons 2 and 10. The connection layout of the parts can lead to a slight dis-alignment of the rails, so be aware!

Front canopy, antennas, gear doors and all other stuff except weapons, burner cans and main canopy have been attached. The Hornet is ready for painting!

IMG_5121_zps31ca779d.jpg

IMG_5122_zps58f13bce.jpg

HAJO

The build continued during the last days, at first two impressions of the bird after finishing the paint:

IMG_5126_zpsbc7b9c41.jpg

As you can see, the difference between the two colors is very subtle. I used Revells Acrylic 76 for the upper side, and a slightly lightened up version of 76 for the bottom.

IMG_5127_zps738af97e.jpg

I also finished decalling, but already discovered while doing so that the Grey 76 matches the colors of the stencil decals too closely. You can hadrly make out the stencils below the canopy, not even mentioning the dozend "No Step"-decals I applied...

IMG_5128_zps38fa9f41.jpg

Clearly visible is the AGM-84E from the Hasegawa Weapon Set that I´m going to use as "counterweight" for the fuel tank on the other side. Middle pylons will get GBU-31s and the outer pylons an AMRAAM each.

HAJO

That´s how the F/A-18E looked yesterday evening: Tanks and missiles are attached.

IMG_5132_zps3d4cbdbd.jpg

IMG_5133_zps71c03e29.jpg

And this evening I added the AGM-84E and two GBU-38s. Now it´s finished, and I hope I can take some pictures outside tomorrow!

IMG_5135_zps7ad59dc3.jpg

HAJO

• 3 weeks later...