Why is the KC-46 so expensive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Omitted from the KC-46A design is the traditional 'boom pod' with its bay window and line-of-sight boom control station. Instead, the KC-46A will use a 3D video system fed to a refueling console for boom control.

Wow, that set-up will thin-out the members of the herd prone to visual disturbances motion sickness right-quick. Just the thought makes me queasy.

Wow, that set-up will thin-out the members of the herd prone to visual disturbances motion sickness right-quick. Just the thought makes me queasy.

Ah; Good point.

I wonder if it will cause some kind of unintended consequences.

What happens if that 3D video system goes down while flying to the refueling rendezvous point?

Video sighting systems for tankers have been working just fine for about 40 years or so. I don't think it's a big deal. The KC-135s and KC-10s the only tankers in the world currently flying that have a boomer in the belly instead of in front of a screen in the cockpit.

What happens if that 3D video system goes down while flying to the refueling rendezvous point?

Probably the same thing that would happen today if you had a boom malfunction - or any one of a hundred other malfunctions - on the way to the rendezvous.

Probably the same thing that would happen today if you had a boom malfunction - or any one of a hundred other malfunctions - on the way to the rendezvous.

Of course; You make good points.

However; It's yet a whole additional layer of something complicated that can go wrong vs an ultra K.I.S.S. boom window.

The boom can be working fine, but if the boom operator's 'eyes' go out; Now what?

They can probably still reel the refueling basket out and those a/c with refueling probes can still be serviced.

As pointed out, its not exactly new to do it this way.

Look at the F-35 with its large single touchscreen cockpit, what happens if that goes out?

-Gregg

Once again; Good point.

But we're talking about a tried and true, and most importantly, a K.I.S.S. set up for boom operators.

I'm not saying it's unwise or wrong. I'm just bringing up a possible future issue for academic purposes.

I did the same thing when I heard the new Ford class carrier will have electromagnetic catapults rather than the current steam-powered catapults.

There were/are very specific and beneficial reasons for going that route. It made much more sense once I read more and understood what the new catapult system will bring to the Fleet.

Look at the F-35 with its large single touchscreen cockpit, what happens if that goes out?

It's not a single screen, it is two screens side by side - for exactly that reason.

Been there touched that. :)

It's not a single screen, it is two screens side by side - for exactly that reason.

Been there touched that. :)/>

We'll be fine, as Jennings mentioned, this approach has been in use for decades and seems to work quite well. I'd argue that it's actually more involved to go with the old-style manned enclosure. That would require major structural modifications to the aircraft and is much more complex than going with the TV option.

Out of curiosity, is the video system TV-only or does it have a low-light level or FLIR option for night ops?

We'll be fine, as Jennings mentioned, this approach has been in use for decades and seems to work quite well. I'd argue that it's actually more involved to go with the old-style manned enclosure. That would require major structural modifications to the aircraft and is much more complex than going with the TV option.

Out of curiosity, is the video system TV-only or does it have a low-light level or FLIR option for night ops?

I thought about the structural aspect of putting in the boom operator's window.

Good point about what it might take to making it happen.

The new set up does looks like the boom operator is in a more comfortable position to work the boom.

Here Steve, I have the exact answer to your question right here, honestly...scroll on down to chapter II "Chickenhawk Economy".

There you will find the answer in plain English...key phrase, "Political Engineering"

(ignore all the F-35/A-10 talk...the meat of it is the procurement process...which takes years by design.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

Edited by 82Whitey51

Here Steve, I have the exact answer to your question right here, honestly...scroll on down to chapter II "Chickenhawk Economy".

There you will find the answer in plain English...key phrase, "Political Engineering"

(ignore all the F-35/A-10 talk...the meat of it is the procurement process...which takes years by design.

http://www.theatlant...ilitary/383516/

Overall; The article appears to be two-faced.

It makes some good honest points yet still has a defeatist/we suck tone to the article.

• 2 months later...

First flight of the full-spec KC-46 has been delayed from next month until "summer". Boeing's statement on this issue - “The first tanker will fly when it’s ready to fly.” Can't argue with that, I suppose....

Not good news but also not the end of the world, Boeing doesn't have a contractual deadline for this event. What they do have is a requirement to have delivered 18 operational tankers by August of 2017.

Given their progress so far, I'm not optimistic.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/kc-46-tanker-likely-will-miss-planned-april-first-flight-410378/

• 2 months later...