Fuels tanks on Apaches

I have a AH-64 to build and I'm looking for what kind of ordnance I will use. I've seen some images of AH-64 with underwing fuel tanks and rocket pods or Hellfire supports. Were those tanks used with live ordnance in combat or just for extendind the range on non-combat flights ? I looking for a idea for a diorama in afhganistan.

Hi!

The tanks are used on combat missions as well. Most famous might be the "opener" of Desert Storm: Task Force Normandy's AH-64As punching holes in Iraq's air defence system. This was disussed on ARC's helicopter forum, Jonathan Bernstein was very helpful supplying further information: Mission Leader was Then-LTC D. Cody in AH-64A s/n 68977 "Rigor Mortis" with Eddy (of Iron Maiden fame) Tail art. The Apaches were loaded with one tank, 8 Hellfires and 19 Hydras (one pod) plus 30 mm rounds.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/task-force-normandy-fired-the-opening-shots-of-desert-storm/

I think I saw pictures on the WWW of AH-65Ds in OEF /OIF carrying at least one tank, a load of Hellfires and Hydra 2.75in. FFARs. Google is your friend for further inspiration. Usually the tank is on the port (left) inboard station (presumably because FFARs shot from there will foul the AT-rotor).

The tank is the same as used with the Sikorsky H-60 series. Thus you can use one from Italeri's kits.

HTH

Ian

Edited by PeepingBear

Hi!

The tanks are used on combat missions as well. Most famous might be the "opener" of Desert Storm: Task Force Normandy's AH-64As punching holes in Iraq's air defence system. This was disussed on ARC's helicopter forum, Jonathan Bernstein was very helpful supplying further information: Mission Leader was Then-LTC D. Cody in AH-64A s/n 68977 "Rigor Mortis" with Eddy (of Iron Maiden fame) Tail art. The Apaches were loaded with one tank, 8 Hellfires and 19 Hydras (one pod) plus 30 mm rounds.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/task-force-normandy-fired-the-opening-shots-of-desert-storm/

I think I saw pictures on the WWW of AH-65Ds in OEF /OIF carrying at least one tank, a load of Hellfires and Hydra 2.75in. FFARs. Google is your friend for further inspiration. Usually the tank is on the port (left) inboard station (presumably because FFARs shot from there will foul the AT-rotor).

The tank is the same as used with the Sikorsky H-60 series. Thus you can use one from Italeri's kits.

HTH

Ian

Great !

Thanks

Hi all!

I am pleased I could help. The WWW is really a boon for knowledge gathering if we combine our individual smaller contributions.

I would like to build "Rigor Mortis", but I have a set of TwoBobs decals for an AH-64A with a superb dragon mouth... Just cool. But TF Normandy was one great opening success of DS.

Here at our company we are looking at Therma for an ASE solution for our Border Patrol Aircraft. Here is an idea for your 64, ASE pods! AH-64-ASE

Ah, yes, these are the pods the Dutch use on their 64s. Hard to see, but the pic shows a RNAF (Netherlands) AH-64D. May I ask why your border patrol aircraft need ASE?

Best regards

Ian