Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18 F VFA-102 50th Anniv.

This one is a funny story... I was just looking for some tools in my modeling closet and this box with Hasegawa Super Hornet just falls down in my hands saying "Hey, why won't You build me, I'm cool and I'm Your last Hasegawa F without the bard stacks".

DSCN3533.JPG

I replied that I don't have a scheme for another early block Super Hornet. However, the Kit just would not take no for an answer. It suddenly put those VFA-102 50th anniversary decals in my hand. Part of VFA-102 History Combo that I've had for some time.

DSCN3535.JPG

Few moments later I was sitting at the table cutting flaps and wing tips and puttying them up.

DSCN3534.JPG

Like through a fog I remember assembling the fuselage, intakes and partially cockpit.

DSCN3538.JPG

When I've finally came to my senses the wings were glued, awaiting for putty to be applied.

DSCN3539.JPG

And the Kit was purring happily.

I've came forward with this one, but my camera batteries have died on me and I have to get some more :doh:

Still, it's just more sanding and puttying. However during sanding I've had an idea. I might build this jet confgured in a 4 wet configuration with a buddy pod. I'm having a hard time finding a pic of this jet configured as a tanker. Can anyone help me?

From what I understand 165882 carried 50th anniversary markings for quite some time, so it would be possible that it flew as a tanker. Though I would like to know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've came forward with this one. Leading edge flaps are attached, seams are filled in all places but one. Canopy seam has been sanded and polished and I just realised I'm out of red paint :D I'll have to get some more. Along with 36375 and 36320 just to be safe.

DSCN3549.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

And so this wonderfull project is DONE! Yeeeey! :yahoo:/>

I've applied some grey paint, then some more gray paint and then some red ;)/> I did funk-up the front section of the red stripe... it went too long but some minor carefull touchups solved the problem. You know how they say: "don't measure even once, cut gazilion times" ;)

DSCN3550.JPG

Man, I could swear I've heard my model purrring like a cat when I've applied decals ;) I was so excited I forgot to take pics!

Whatever the case, another Hornet hits my shelf. As usual, covers for the intakes were done with kitchen aluminum foil, seat belts with masking tape, and I've added canopy breakers to the seats, not my best ones, but this way they look better (imho). Model was painted exclusively with Pactra acrylics.

DSCN3573.JPG

There seems to be a lot of silvered decals on this one... don't really know why. I've thoroghly gloss coated the model prior to their application, used Micro Sol and Set, and only after matt coat they started to silver... Though it doen't show on the pictures - lucky me for having an old camera ;)

So this is it, thanks for watching guys!

Edited by Thadeus