Chris Hadfield's new book

I just got my autographed copy of Chris's new book: You are here.

P1220184_zps24f75be3.jpg

P1220185_zps022903c9.jpg

During the 2 Degrees of Separation (NASA) Group Build, I built a T-38 with the new Fundekals NASA scheme. The build thread is here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=276571

At the end of the build, I contacted Chris Hadfield (I have known him for many years), and offered to send him the model. He was quite happy with the idea, and asked what he could do in return. At first I hesitated, not having done it with any reward in mind, but I had recently heard of his new book with a bunch of fantastic photos he took from space... so I asked if he could send me a copy. It arrived yesterday in the mail.

What was a nicer surprise, a few weeks ago, was the snazzy card he sent me in thanks for the model. How cool is it to have your own cards! The guy is a true gentleman.

P1220186_zps1726c663.jpg

P1220187_zps0fab2430.jpg

For anyone sitting on the fence about this book, I highly recommend getting it. It is of very high quality, glossy paper, not too large (slightly larger than a novel, not a huge coffee-table book that takes up lots of space), and full of amazing photos and anecdotes.

I know many ARCers give their models away to deserving folks, like veterans or beloved family members. This is the third time I do something like this; it is a great feeling to know that they appreciated the model and the work that went into it.

So often we observe celebrities from afar; we don't really know them, and it is hard to judge what they are really like. Chris Hadfield falls into the genuinely nice and humbly talented category; if you or your kids admire him, you have picked a great example.

The timing of this thread is fortuitous; we are coming up on Remembrance Day next week. I have met some fantastic people who are veterans of World War II, and Korea. I sent a model of a bomber to one guy, who passed away last year (a couple years after he got my model). He thanked me with a nice little card, and a die-cast biplane, dedicated to a "fellow aviator."

I guess I am just waxing in a reflective mood this week. Not all veterans are very visible or prominent. Few of them will make a big deal about the way they selflessly served their country. They deserve some sort of recognition; it can be as simple as a nod and a smile at a Remembrance Day ceremony, it can be through initiating a supportive and interested conversation, or other gesture they will appreciate. I already have plans to clear out some shelf space by giving away some models to some Cold Warriors (my Uncle, and another pilot I know well); SWMBO will be very happy to hear about that (less clutter in the house).

Sorry - my thoughts and words are all over the place this evening. The main message is that as we approach the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, I can think of no more supportive and engaged community than the one here at ARC. Keep it up, guys!

ALF

Great story :thumbsup: ! Thanks for posting this. I am a huge book worm...constantly reading...and being old fashion in that I prefer paper over electronic I will have to grab a copy of this book. Early Christmas present to myself :rolleyes: .

Btw, there is a book thread here somewhere in the General Discussion where a bunch of us post what we've recently read. Perhaps a quick post there might bring additional attention to what looks to be a potential great addition to people's libraries.

Thanks again!

Don.

Great story :thumbsup:/> ! Thanks for posting this. I am a huge book worm...constantly reading...and being old fashion in that I prefer paper over electronic I will have to grab a copy of this book. Early Christmas present to myself :rolleyes:/> .

Btw, there is a book thread here somewhere in the General Discussion where a bunch of us post what we've recently read. Perhaps a quick post there might bring additional attention to what looks to be a potential great addition to people's libraries.

Thanks again!

Don.

I'll look for that thread. Thanks for the tip.

Is he selling books direct? I'd be interested in getting a signed copy possibly.

Not sure... Here is his web site: http://chrishadfield.ca/

There is a link to the book under "books", and under the "products" area you can find a link to Amazon.com (US) where it's for sale, but I haven't seen anything about it being signed. Perhaps if you sent a query to the contact e-mail address on the site, they may have a means of doing that.

Alf

Thanks for the story - I'll add that book to my Christmas list !

Cheers,

David

You won't be disappointed, David.

ALF

Great story Alf!! I figured you and the Col. were old friends, in some regard. And yeah, the joy of another person receiving a model - with little reward in return - is awesome!! I used to know that feeling well. :)/>

Edited by Tilt

Great story Alf!! I figured you and the Col. were old friends, in some regard. And yeah, the joy of another person receiving a model - with little reward in return - is awesome!! I used to know that feeling well. :)/>/>

Definitely in your case, Tilt!

You also inspired me to get back into the hobby, with your superb renditions built for guys in Cool Pool.

ALF

Cool story Alf, I didn't serve with Chris although I have met him several times through people he did serve with. I thought you had to have served with him.

My children were very excited to meet him and Julie Payette in Cold Lake several years ago. He flew up in a NASA T-38, I have pictures of that jet in our hanger. I plan on building it with Fundekals.

I have his first book, my wife got me a signed copy for Xmas. Recently on a trip to Grande Praire I noticed a lot of people on the flight were hand carrying his book on that flight. I later found out he had a speaking engagement that night in GP.

I built a Spitfire for Stocky Edwards and presented it to him at a mess dinner. He really appreciated it. At the same mess dinner I presented a Hornet model to Gizmo Williams of the jet he flew in formation with Stocky. Gizmo was in 940, Stocky was in 916. I have digital images of these presentations somewhere in the house.

Nice to see Tilt posting too! I was just thinking of him a week or so ago!

Hey Scoob!! I'm still kick'n around here and there. Not a lot of model production these days - but life is keeping me busy!! Maybe someday I'll have a space to build again.

Great photo Alf!! The Col. looks pretty happy with his Jet. Scooby mentioned the time Col. Hadfield was in Cold Lake with Julie Payette. That was the one and only time I got to meet him as well. He's certainly become quite the Canadian Icon!! Great role model.

When you said on the NASA GB that you were gonna send your T-38 to him, I thought, " ... what a great idea, but Chris probably gets this kind of unsolicited offer all ... the ... time ...! ... Hey ... Maybe I should send him something too! :whistle: "

But now realizing you know him personally, I just envy you-u-u!

I've been interested in the US Space Program since the mid 60's ... and my only contact with an Astronaut was speaking to Jim Lovell on a Discovery Channel call-in show on an anniversary of Apollo 13.

But seeing the response you got from Colonel Hadfield ... all I can say is, thanx so much for posting this! :thumbsup:

He sure does seem to be exactly as we see him in public ... but I know you know him better than that! :woot.gif:

Pete

Nice work on the model and the sentiment of sending it to him pal. As you, I, Scooby, Tilt and many others on the board have done, it is very rewarding when you present a model to the man who has "Been there. Done that." The look of recollections of bygone days, gratitude and all the other emotions makes the gesture that much more special.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hadfield, along with 'Rose' Kissman (thanks for the backstory on that moniker!), a few years back at the Vintage Wings of Canada's 'Sabre Ground School'. Mr. Hadfield addressed the 40 or so people attending the session and spoke of his time in the air force, as a NASA test pilot, the astronaut training program and his being named mission commander to the ISS. Not once during his discussion was there an air of superiority or an I'm better than you attitude. He was the complete opposite of the line in the Rush song 'Limelight' when Geddy Lee sings, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend." He immediately made us feel at ease and was truly humble and very down to earth (no pun intended). He answered every question asked of him and he also made time to speak to folks after his presentation and back at the VWoC hangar. He was a true ambassador for VWoC, NASA, the R.C.A.F. and the space program.

Thanks for sharing your story, mon ami.

Mike

When you said on the NASA GB that you were gonna send your T-38 to him, I thought, " ... what a great idea, but Chris probably gets this kind of unsolicited offer all ... the ... time ...! ... Hey ... Maybe I should send him something too! :whistle:/> "

But now realizing you know him personally, I just envy you-u-u!

I've been interested in the US Space Program since the mid 60's ... and my only contact with an Astronaut was speaking to Jim Lovell on a Discovery Channel call-in show on an anniversary of Apollo 13.

But seeing the response you got from Colonel Hadfield ... all I can say is, thanx so much for posting this! :thumbsup:/>

He sure does seem to be exactly as we see him in public ... but I know you know him better than that! :woot.gif:/>

Pete

Pete

When I instructed in Moose Jaw, on the Tutor in the early 80s, one of Chris's best friends was my student (first name Malcolm). One day I was leading Malcolm on a solo formation trip, and Second Lieutenant Chris Hadfield asked if he could come along with me; I said sure. I let Chris fly half the trip, even though his buddy was on his first solo in close formation, because I had heard Chris was doing quite well from his instructor, and I knew the experience would be a confidence-builder for him. He did a great job. Later on in the course, I flew with Chris a couple times, teaching him Navigation and IFR flying.

Years later, he ended up in Bagotville on the Hornet, and I showed up on the other squadron at the same base, about 6 months before he was posted out, so I got to renew our acquaintance. I wouldn't consider him a really close friend, but we did cross paths and work together several times, and we share several mutual friends. In fact, the way I got in contact with him this time (having lost track of his address) was to send a Facebook message to a mutual friend, who got us in contact.

The world of military Fighter aviation in Canada is very small; we either know each other, or have heard of one another through friends. I am long since retired, but still cherish the people I met through that.

And yes, he is a very decent guy. Polite, humble, and unassuming. A true gentleman. When he talks in his first book about aiming to be a "zero" (meaning don't be a negative influence), he is not just blowing smoke; he is describing the philosophy that he has followed very well for many years. I've met many very aggressive and ambitious people in the Fighter world; there are very many type-A personalities that are very annoying. This dude does not fit that mould, which is a very good thing. I have met several other Canadian astronauts once or twice (I flew a CF-18 dual to North Bay once so Roberta Bondar could go flying with another pilot from Fighter Group HeadQuarters). She was really nice, as was Julie Payette (I met her at an airshow in the Montreal area about 20 years ago). It's nice to see that these people are just like the rest of us, with the minor difference that they have pursued their goals and been rewarded for their hard work and personal qualities.

ALF