I'm in, finally.

Let me introduce myself. My name is ALF, and I am a Group Build Junkie. I have an incurable urge to participate in any and all GBs. Yes, I know I have a problem. For this one, I even went out and ordered two 1/32 scale Italeri F-104 models, adding to the one I already had in my stash. I also have 4 (or 5, I've lost count) Hasegawa 1/48 kits of the 104.

With the two big 104s, I also ordered an Eduard MiG 21.

Step 1 of the program: admit you have a problem.

Step 2: shrug, and build models within a GB. :woot.gif:/>

The kit I will be using is an unknown boxing of the Hasegawa kit. The reason it's unknown, is that my good friend Neu sent me a box with 3 kits all mixed up. He was visiting Japan, and kindly offered to send me some of these, my favourite kit next to the 1/32 Academy Hornet. To save on shipping costs from Japan, Neu combined the 3 kits into one box. All arrived in great shape, but I have no idea which is which.

Here is one of the instruction sheets that was in the big box.

598d723c-96ac-492e-879d-f74b7f3137dc_zps90837eb6.jpg

I'll be using the DACO products improvement set. I have 3 sets of the wings sprue, and 1 full set. Did I tell you I have a problem already? Love the Starfighter! I still haven't decided on some details, but I will likely install underwing pylons, with maybe some stores as well... more on that.

P1220189_zpsfbd8e12e.jpg

For decals, I will be using some from my Belcher Bits collection. These are the best decals to do multiple Starfighters, including all the possible Tiger schemes. For my purposes, that makes them perfect. You see, in case you didn't know, my late father flew the 104 with 439 Squadron in Baden, Germany, in the 70s. That's why I have an incurable love for the aircraft, and for the Tiger Squadron in particular. I am hesitating, though, about maybe buying one of Canuck Models' new CF-104 sheets as well (the camouflaged one, not the natural metal sheet).

Note that the right side of the picture shows a printout from CF-104's (John's) thread in this GB; I will be using his suggested paint colours from Tamiya acryl, because those are the paints I have available at my LHS (toy store). I may also try to achieve some of the excellent weathering effects he has used on his similar paint scheme. Interestingly, John's Starfighter (tail number 756) was a 439 jet for years, and has worn Tiger colours at least once.

P1220191_zps0b7c36f1.jpg

I will set about the initial assembly soon.

ALF

Edited by ALF18

Step 1&2 is how you become a group buil moderator...

Get it on!!

True!

Maybe I'm not quite that far gone, though...

This one will be done when you come to visit, and hopefully my next build (1/32 Italeri) will be done or close to it as well.

ALF

ALF,

Because I truly care about your health and welfare, I will gladly take all your kits and supplies off your hands so that there is no temptation to relapse during your recovery. <_<

Looking forward to this one too, mon chum.

Good luck.

Mike

ALF,

Because I truly care about your health and welfare, I will gladly take all your kits and supplies off your hands so that there is no temptation to relapse during your recovery. <_</>

Looking forward to this one too, mon chum.

Good luck.

Mike

:rofl:

Very nice of you - you're a good man, Mike!

Unfortunately, you will have to pry my kits out of my cold, dead, hands...

:touche:

Unless, of course, I decide to send some to you out of altruism. After all, Christmas is coming!

ALF

Made some progress over the weekend. The cockpit is OOB. I assembled the seat in 2 parts (back and seat pan area), and dry fit them in place. A resin seat would make a difference, but I wanted to do an easy build this time. The rest of the cockpit is quite well detailed for its scale.

P1220192_zps5dd2dbde.jpg

Here are the kit decals. Note how yellowed they are; that's why I decided not to do this scheme. One day, I will have to try AX_365's tip of leaving the decal sheet in the sun to bleach out the yellow. Notice, however, how bad the Canadian flags are on the 1 CAG (1 Canadian Air Group, pronounced cag) and on the flag. The roundels are just as bad. It's unfortunate; I remember seeing these aircraft overall green with the ATAF (Allied Tactical Air Force) weapons meet markings on them. They looked very sharp.

The kit also comes with white metal RHAWR (Radar Homing and Warning Receiver) parts for the tail and nose (chin) area. Those are appropriate for the later era with the variegated camouflage scheme. I recall seeing these systems being installed in the mid 70s in Baden, and I remember my father (who flew over 1,200 hours in the CF-104 with 439 Squadron) complaining about how complicated it was to memorize all the indications for each threat. In the CF-18, a SAM 2 shows up as a "2" on the RWR display, at the proper azimuth. It will move from ring to ring depending on whether it is weak or strong (range), and will flash and beep at you when it launches. It also shows up in the HUD as a line with a 2 on it. In the 104's RHAWR, there was a series of tones that denoted frequency band and intensity, and some kind of cryptic analog lights on some fixed azimuth lines; each threat had its own unique signature that pilots had to commit to memory. Not exactly user-friendly!

I decided to use the instrument panel decals for this build. It looks pretty good (colourful and precise-looking), but of course the instrument cluster is not quite right for a Canadian 104. We won't tell anyone, will we? :rolleyes:

P1220194_zps54daee5e.jpg

Cockpit mostly painted. Wings being assembled. These are from the DACO improvement set.

P1220202_zps09abedee.jpg

Fuselage is together. The rudder is from the DACO set (no rivets, much more like the real thing).

P1220203_zps049496e7.jpg

The DACO wings, without rivets. Some scraping required; I managed to get some glue around the clamp.

Note the instruction sheet. Part U11 is the appropriate wheel (main) hub for the CF-104; the kit has two choices. Notice also that the tire and hub are moulded as separate pieces. I love that about this kit; it makes it possible for any modeler to have a sharp line between the wheel and the tire.

P1220204_zpscc0c451f.jpg

ALF

An overall look. I have left off the tail plane (stabilator) for now, for ease of painting.

P1220208_zps0971e47b.jpg

Notice how beautifully the DACO wings fit the fuselage. It is just as good as the kit parts.

P1220209_zps210e8a72.jpg

One of the minor problem areas of this kit is the angle of the fins on the tip tanks. They come with square pegs and holes; unfortunately, the angle is wrong. Assembled using the kit shapes leads to the fins being roughly parallel to the ground, but they should be parallel to the wings like this. I fixed the problem by scrubbing out the square shape on the rear of the tip tank with an exacto knife, then gluing the tail in place. I ensured I glued the longer (inboard) fin in place before doing this, because I wanted to better judge the angle using the fin and not just the locating hole on the rear tip-tank part.

P1220207_zps1964ae0c.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Back to work!

ALF

I mentioned that my father flew the CF-104. That's one of the reasons I absolutely love this aircraft, just as he did. It's also why I have built several models of it. I am somewhat saddened, however, by the fact that he died 12 years ago, before I got seriously back into the hobby, and I was never able to give him a model of his aircraft.

As I do with every CF-104 thread I post, I dedicate this one to his memory. Here he is standing proudly in the cockpit of a 439 Squadron CF-104, in the summer of 1972, when we got to Baden-Soellingen, West Germany. I will always remember him, as will all who knew him.

He is one of the people I think of during the 2 minutes of silence on Remembrance Day, November 11th.

DadCF-104heroshotscan001_zps74303283.jpg

ALF

One of the minor problem areas of this kit is the angle of the fins on the tip tanks. They come with square pegs and holes; unfortunately, the angle is wrong. Assembled using the kit shapes leads to the fins being roughly parallel to the ground, but they should be parallel to the wings like this. I fixed the problem by scrubbing out the square shape on the rear of the tip tank with an exacto knife, then gluing the tail in place. I ensured I glued the longer (inboard) fin in place before doing this, because I wanted to better judge the angle using the fin and not just the locating hole on the rear tip-tank part.

P1220207_zps1964ae0c.jpg

Hi ALF

My / the DACO F-104 Set contains also improved fins for the tip tanks (on the D-sprue), which will fit even easier on the Hasegawa tip tank than their own parts.

So if you still have the chance to remove the fins, than I would suggest to do so

Danny Coremans

DACO Products

Hi ALF

My / the DACO F-104 Set contains also improved fins for the tip tanks (on the D-sprue), which will fit even easier on the Hasegawa tip tank than their own parts.

So if you still have the chance to remove the fins, than I would suggest to do so

Danny Coremans

DACO Products

Thanks for the tip, Danny, but I realized I only have the A1 and A2 sprues (3 of each). I will be ordering the full set very soon, and I'll try your fins on my next 1/48 Starfighter.

ALF

Alf,

Coming along fine their sir. Your dad would be proud!

I was interested to note that you used instrument panel decals... I never use these (I always go the paint route) so would be interested in how this looked ... how about a close up?

If you don't mind I was also thinking of posting that picture of your dad beside my Hasegawa 1/48th kit, as it is in 439 Squadron markings and the helmet looks like it goes with the aircraft. :salute:/>

CF-104_Tiger_10_zps083b1607.jpg

Oh, yes and thanks for pointing out a few corrections that I should have incorporated with the CF-104 kit.... I'll be sure to apply them to the next one....

Cheers, (and happy Remembrance day) :salute:/>

David

Alf,

Coming along fine their sir. Your dad would be proud!

I was interested to note that you used instrument panel decals... I never use these (I always go the paint route) so would be interested in how this looked ... how about a close up?

If you don't mind I was also thinking of posting that picture of your dad beside my Hasegawa 1/48th kit, as it is in 439 Squadron markings and the helmet looks like it goes with the aircraft. :salute:/>/>

Oh, yes and thanks for pointing out a few corrections that I should have incorporated with the CF-104 kit.... I'll be sure to apply them to the next one....

Cheers, (and happy Remembrance day) :salute:/>/>

David

Nice job on the tiger bird, David! :thumbsup:

No problem if you want to post my father's photo beside that. I'd be honoured.

Here are some close-ups of the panels. I haven't quite finished with the cockpit painting, and it's missing the ejection handle, throttle, and headrest, but you can see how it looks. I like the short cut that decals provide, especially in this scale. I did a 1/32 CF-18 with PE panels for the cockpit; I like the way it turned out as well.

P1220224_zps8d35e7bb.jpg

P1220225_zps8c47e41a.jpg

P1220226_zpsee424499.jpg

I've attached the landing gear. Strangely, the gear on this kit is nicer than the 1/32 version done by the same company, while the canopies are the opposite story (the big Hasegawa kit has great canopy air piping, while the smaller one doesn't - that's where the DACO set really makes a difference as well).

P1220227_zpsd10ba9a7.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

ALF

Nice job ALF. I have a suggestion for your next CF-104 decal IP, if I may? Cut it in half horizontally between upper panel and lower panel. I just thought of this short cut when I was building my Checkerbird. It makes putting it on simpler and it makes lining up the decal with the raised surface on the IP a lot easier. I know many will say sand off the raised detail on the IP if you're using decals but I prefer to take the lazy man's way and just apply the decal onto the panel. If you take your time and add a little decal setting agent or Future, it looks pretty good.

Mike

Nice job ALF. I have a suggestion for your next CF-104 decal IP, if I may? Cut it in half horizontally between upper panel and lower panel. I just thought of this short cut when I was building my Checkerbird. It makes putting it on simpler and it makes lining up the decal with the raised surface on the IP a lot easier. I know many will say sand off the raised detail on the IP if you're using decals but I prefer to take the lazy man's way and just apply the decal onto the panel. If you take your time and add a little decal setting agent or Future, it looks pretty good.

Mike

Great suggestion Mike. So you noticed how the bottom right portion was a bit warped, eh? Your eyes are still too sharp. I actually thought about it - too late - as the decal was wet, soaking up water in the bowl... :bandhead2:

I used MicroSol to get it to soften up, then tamped it down with a piece of toilet paper. It clung rather nicely to the raised detail, but if I had been wise and done what you suggested, the two parts of the panel would have looked better.

ALF

Coming along great Alf, time to start my two seat version of what your doing.

Oh no!

I'd better hurry up and paint, then - or you'll catch me and pass me. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Progress made: taped up the cockpit for painting. Glued on the RHAWR blisters under the nose and tail areas. Still wondering why the white metal was moulded with little locator tabs, when there are no holes in the kit anywhere to fit them into. I chopped them off with a knife.

Painting soon!

ALF

Alf,

OK, now that I have your permission, I got a copy of the photo to put beside my 439 CF-104 TigerBird... now I know where the photo was taken and what plane (obviously)... all I need to complete the picture is the pilot's name.

Respect,

David

My father's name was Bill McWilliams.

ALF

Now for more progress. I've painted the wheel rims black, then used a silver sharpie to pick out the details. Super easy to do, and looks realistic.

P1220228_zps2e7ae7c4.jpg

For Neo, here's what the doors should fit like on the mains! :rolleyes:/>

P1220236_zps432693f0.jpg

P1220237_zpsae23a567.jpg

This is the medical tape I am using for camo demarcation. Bottom has been sprayed light grey Tamiya XF-19.

P1220238_zpsd3e9743b.jpg

You can see the length relative to the model. I have chopped the tape into about 5 longitudinal segments.

P1220239_zps91a62cbd.jpg

Tape applied to the bottom.

P1220240_zps115ac90a.jpg

Grey topside colour sprayed. I deliberately let it look a bit patchy with some lighter coverage.

P1220264_zps0f473c1c.jpg

Now masking for the green. You can see the colours I am using for topside. The "blue", believe it or not, makes the grey colour. I have added some masking tape just to remind myself which portions are to remain green, in case I get confused while I spray.

P1220265_zps30e0d7ec.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

ALF

Edited by ALF18

As I was taping for the camouflage patterns, I realized there is a huge problem with the instructions in the Belcher Bits decals. Look at the side view vs the top view. At first, things look OK, but look VERY carefully at the left wing. The portion with the roundel is grey (lighter colour) in the top view, but it is green (darker) in the side view!

As I was taping things up and adding bits of masking tape to remind myself which portion was to be left the grey colour, it dawned on me as I was having difficulty getting it correct between the top and side views. I then went through all my CF-104 images on my computer, and found that the side view is correct, while the top view has the patterns inversed. And guess which one I started with? :bandhead2:

So I peeled off a lot of the tape and redid it with the proper coloured areas... then I realized that I had skipped a step in my eagerness to paint. I forgot to add primer before painting with the Tamiya acrylics, and I noticed that the tape had lifted off some of the paint. :bandhead2::bandhead2::bandhead2:

Hoo boy...

Deep breath. Things will be OK. In any case, I plan for this to be a bit of a weathered camo pattern, so multiple touchups will be OK.

P1220266_zps518c5e5c.jpg

Here is the tail with no masking. Not a bad effect.

P1220267_zpsa7e09d91.jpg

Things are drying now. Later tonight or tomorrow afternoon I will peel off the tape and see how bad it is!

ALF

Except it is painted as per the top view, which you found was in error, no ??

Tony

Maybe... will have to check. :bandhead2:

Or maybe we can keep this as our secret... nobody ever saw the tops of these things anyway, unless they were in a hangar, or you were looking down from above in flight!

:rolleyes:

ALF

Maybe... will have to check. :bandhead2:/>/>

Or maybe we can keep this as our secret... nobody ever saw the tops of these things anyway, unless they were in a hangar, or you were looking down from above in flight!

:rolleyes:/>/>

ALF

notice the variations of even these examples;

1422398_10151789811347078_1840202339_n_zpsaaaa6b6d.jpg