Really an excellent "save" on the windscreen. This is why I always glue the windscreen on before painting, because 9 out of 10 do end up needing some type of work, and it's just so much easier to do it before painting.

Your flying surfaces really look quite nice pinned in place. I've gone to pinning rather then the more traditional gluing. It's cleaner and a lot neater.

BTW, your wife was right.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Really an excellent "save" on the windscreen. This is why I always glue the windscreen on before painting, because 9 out of 10 do end up needing some type of work, and it's just so much easier to do it before painting.

Your flying surfaces really look quite nice pinned in place. I've gone to pinning rather then the more traditional gluing. It's cleaner and a lot neater.

BTW, your wife was right.

Joel

Thanks Joel - I tried to cheat with the Windscreen as I needed to get on with painting rather than filling and sanding but that came back to haunt me as you mentioned it might do.

Some more progress. Managed to get all of the decals on (from Fox One) using Gunze Mr Setter - first time for me for both. Decals are superb.

IMG_5715_zpsg1ihzbad.jpg

IMG_5716_zpsprfxvpsu.jpg

IMG_5723_zpsf29db8hh.jpg

IMG_5724_zps4mmzzdij.jpg

Need to mask off and re=spray with Klear Semi-matt for a scale finish and then get to work on glueing sub assemblies etc. I am hoping that by the end of March this is complete and I can then move on to finish the 1/32nd Hornet that has now been on the go for around 7 years!

Edited by crobinsonh
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update. If I have not told you before I will say this again - I have hated this build it has been nothing but frustration and I am not impressed with Trumpeter either for the poor instructions, poor design (as shown brilliantly in the missile bay) or poor fit. I am not afraid of modelling having built resin kits previously (MDC Typhoon, Fisher Sea Fury etc) but this build has drained all the fun. I was adamant I was going to finish this so I have persevered and it is now close to the finish line. My strong recommendation (particularly if you want the missile bay open) is to build the Monogram kit.

IMG_0038_zpslnkgn5ts.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsn8lajbda.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsinob7kj8.jpg

I go away on Tuesday morning on holiday and I really want to finish this before then.

Crosinsonh,

Believe me, when I say I feel your pain. I've had more then my fair share of crappy kits that I just had to build for one reason or another that fought me tooth and nail down to the wire. Honestly, I'm about 50/50 in the win/loss columns. There are manufactures I just won't touch a model from, and Trumpeter is right near the top of the list.

You're almost at the finish line, and you've done a spectacular job of getting to this point. The F-106 looks damn good. Ok better then good.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

For what it's worth, it looks absolutely fab. You'll come back from the holiday refreshed and look at it again and be pleased :thumbsup:/>/>

I have to echo this comment, it may have been a tough build but it looks absolutely fabulous, what a shame it has been a tough build.

I long ago purged my stash of any Trumpeter kits.

Edited by Scooby

Beautiful Six! I'm glad you stuck with it, I also really like your choice of markings. Glad you opted to make it pristine, very, very few of these aircraft ever looked weathered. They were well cared for.

Congrats on a great job,

John

My strong recommendation (particularly if you want the missile bay open) is to build the Monogram kit.

Great job on yet another Trumpet Boss hack job of a kit! Your comment reflects what I saw when I looked into the box. The Six is my favorite fighter of all time, and over the past 33 years since it's been out (!!!) I've probably bought and built at least ten Monogram kits and several Hasegawa kits. But I closed the box and put the Trumpeter kit back on the shelf.

I was really happy to come across your WIP, and to echo what so many before me have said..... the results are simply excellent. Sorry to hear of all the headaches with the kit. It's really tough to find enthusiasm when you run into problems like you have but, your skills and patience have helped you so much to fix those tough problems. It is very inspiring to see you work through those problems as my current build gives me some headaches too.

Just found this thread and I'm amazed at the quality of work you've put into this build, it looks phenomenal. Good on you for persevering, your efforts truly show in the almost-end result.

Absolutely stunning!!!!!

Great job!

Simply brilliant. You certainly tamed the beast. Outstanding is just putting it mildly.

Joel

Wow , what an awesome build ! Simply beautiful .

Cheers, Christian

That's a brilliant build! Nicely done.

That is an awesome build!

Thanks for your kind comments - it makes all the frustration worthwhile