I didn't have the fit problems you have encountered. The fit was very good on my kit, and I only used a very small amount of Tamiya Surface Primer to fill minor gaps and scratches. This is indeed a fine kit.

Jens

Ok, you've sold me on that tool..... gonna ask santa for one :D

Uh-huh-huuuuuh, Jay... eusa_naughty.gif Me thinks Santa ain't allowed to come to Japan anymore. :P

Edith Piaf:

And it looks like a great scriber

Which shop sells them?

It's HobbyLink Japan, but first ya've got to wrestle a Sumo fighter, or that's whut I heard... :rolleyes:

Edited by Uncle Uncool

I didn't have the fit problems you have encountered. The fit was very good on my kit, and I only used a very small amount of Tamiya Surface Primer to fill minor gaps and scratches. This is indeed a fine kit.

Jens

That is great to hear - what about the mould line issues and the poor moulding on the aileron's where a couple of "dimples" needed filling? Maybe I just had a bad kit.

That is great to hear - what about the mould line issues and the poor moulding on the aileron's where a couple of "dimples" needed filling? Maybe I just had a bad kit.

The mould line were there, but there were no "dimples" on the ailerons. It did have some strange small black spots - like tiny pieces of charcoal - a couple of places on the fuselage. No biggie though as they can't be seen after a coat of paint. This is what mine looks like now:

F-106A_5850.jpg

Jens

• 1 month later...

A most impressive build to date. Your cockpit detail painting is really quite well done, especially the ejection seat. You really got the colors of the harness and seatbelts dead on. And your IP really looks outstanding. I've never had the internal fortitude to dunk any parts into nearly boiling water out of fear of turning them in a useless plastic glob. But your fix of the intakes has really opened my eyes to that technique. They came out looking great. Much closer to the real deal then what you had to start with.

Just one question, rather then using the Monogram intake plates, why didn't you just trace the one you had on a piece of sheet plastic?

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your comments. I really wish I had thought of your idea as it would have made my life a lot easier!

A most impressive build to date. Your cockpit detail painting is really quite well done, especially the ejection seat. You really got the colors of the harness and seatbelts dead on. And your IP really looks outstanding. I've never had the internal fortitude to dunk any parts into nearly boiling water out of fear of turning them in a useless plastic glob. But your fix of the intakes has really opened my eyes to that technique. They came out looking great. Much closer to the real deal then what you had to start with.

Just one question, rather then using the Monogram intake plates, why didn't you just trace the one you had on a piece of sheet plastic?

Joel

A few more updates. Finally gotten to the point where I am hopefully done with filling, sanding and scribing!

I have now shot a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 (thinned) over the complete airframe

This shows the wing joint filling, sanding and scribing. All nice now.

IMG_5427_zps0397c9d4.jpg

Same for the tail fin

IMG_5428_zps22543a4e.jpg

And now onto masking

IMG_5425_zpsdeccc2cf.jpg

IMG_5422_zpsde52fe34.jpg

Getting there slowly

Masking shouldn't be that difficult as the one side looks really good. What happened to the windscreen. I thought it was masked and glued in place?

Joel

The windscreen s masked and painted - just not glued to the model yet. Hopefully will be soon. You are right about masking - this is much easier being single colour.

The windscreen s masked and painted - just not glued to the model yet. Hopefully will be soon. You are right about masking - this is much easier being single colour.

I'm just use to gluing on the windscreen, and blending in as necessary before painting.

Joel

Some more progress. Base Gunze Sangyo paint on. Now masking for the gloss black for the metallic areas and nose.

IMG_5429_zps3fb833df.jpg

IMG_5430_zps64beb993.jpg

And now ready for the green panels on the underside

IMG_5431_zpsa8de76c8.jpg

IMG_5432_zpsff7b72ab.jpg

IMG_5434_zpsebacdd83.jpg

I am going to try the new "True Metal" metallic waxes on the gloss black areas.

Edited by crobinsonh

Some more updates...

Sprayed the green panels. Looking at a number of photographs this seemed to vary.

IMG_5441_zps6fa750ed.jpg

First attempt with "True Metal"

IMG_5444_zps1070c4b5.jpg

IMG_5445_zpse338c15d.jpg

All looks good. However the wax did not seem to hold onto the gloss black surface and when "buffed" with a soft cloth did come off completely. For the areas that buffed well it looked fantastic. This may be a case of "operator error" so I need to experiment more.

Poor shot but gives and example of what I mean.

IMG_5455_zps2b059928.jpg

Resprayed with Gunze Sangyo superfine metallics

IMG_5463_zps65c11559.jpg

IMG_5465_zps4598bdd1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the problems with the windscreen came back to haunt me. First the Trumpy parts did not fit. I had "Futured them" and when they did not fit I decided to use some hot water to try and splay the parts. This worked, however they ended up very"foggy". I then decided to use the Monogram part that also needs splaying but was a lot closer fit to start with. None of the parts fitted well at the front where the blend to the fuselage and left some nasty gaps. I have to say at this point the model was going in the bin but my Wife literally shouted "stop" before I did that. In hindsight, I think I am happy with that.

IMG_5609%202_zpsmoot8ir5.jpg

IMG_5608%202_zpsoanifdvp.jpg

To rebuild the gap and shape of the joint between the windscreen and the fuselage I though I would give the Tamiya Polyester filler. I have to say this is great stuff IMO.

IMG_5612%202_zpsv7javkqm.jpg

IMG_5611%202_zpszgltuctl.jpg

After remaking and spraying again the filler has clearly worked.

IMG_5630%202_zpsrpaydlus.jpg

IMG_5631%202_zpscyztmtaq.jpg

There is still some final painting to be completed on the windscreen details.

I also fitted all of the flying surfaces - all where drilled and superglued with copper wire.

IMG_5634%202_zpszbdggdwm.jpg

IMG_5633%202_zpsdvmacema.jpg

The slow march to finish continues...