Operation Bolo research

Gentlemen,

Pardon me if this has been discussed before but I'm hopeful that you guys can help me out. I'm in the process of researching Operation Bolo for a possible future project, and what I'm finding is that there is a dearth of good details. Unfortunately it appears that there wasn't a lot of photos taken on the day of the operation. I guess my OCD nature and my Modelers AMS syndrome is kicking in. For example, almost every profile or picture that shows the F-4s involved show them with standard noses with the IR probe but as Keith Ferris painting shows, it's apparent that several had the dorkless nose that a number of late block C models and early D models had. And a picture of Olds smoking a last cigarette in front of his plane clearly shows, 680 was dorkless. What I've gathered is that it was Block 21 F-4Cs that had the smooth nosecones. Were there other blocks that were dorkless? With a little cross checking and using Joe Baugher's site I can track down the block number of each plane.

For starters, I'm wondering if anyone can fill in the gaps of the line up of the 3 flights from the 8th TFW who actually got into the fight. Here's what I have:

Olds Flight – 555 TFS

F-4C 63-7680, Olds 01, COL Robin Olds, pilot/1LT Charles C. Clifton, PSO; AIM-9

F-4C 63-7589, Olds 02, 1LT Ralph F. Wetterhann, pilot/1LT Jerry K. Sharp, PSO; AIM-7

F-4C 63-7683, Olds 04, CAPT Walter S. Radecker, III, pilot/1LT James E. Murray, III, PSO; AIM-9

Ford flight – 555 TFS

F-4C 63-7710,-Ford 02, CAPT Everett T. Raspberry, Jr., pilot/1LT Robert W. Western, PSO; AIM-9

Rambler Flight – 433 TFS

F-4C 64-0720, Rambler 01, CAPT John B. Stone, pilot/1LT Clifton P. Dunnegan, Jr., PSO; AIM-7

F-4C 63-7652, Rambler 02, 1LT Lawrence J. Glynn, Jr., pilot/1LT Lawrence E. Cary, PSO; AIM-7

F-4C 64-0838, Rambler 04, MAJ Phillip P. Combies, pilot/1LT Lee R. Dutton, PSO; AIM-7

I know that Chappie James was leading Ford flight

My goal is to start by filling in the gaps and then trying to figure out which planes had which noses and then seeing if I can track down pictures of them taken as close to 2 January 1967 as I can. Obviously all the C models had standard noses placed in the spring or summer of 1967 as they went through phase inspection. Exactly when, I don't know.

Eventually I'd really like to get down to all the operational minutiae of the Operation. As a former Viper driver it's this stuff that interests me.

Hopefully somebody can help me out. Sorry for being a little long winded.

Dave

Edited by ViperDoc

Hi Dave,

Most interesting topic to me.

"Dorkless" mean lack of AAA-4 IR seeker, right?

I've not that much documentation regarding very specific things like serial of machines involved, but Osprey's CA 045 USAF MiG killers 1965/68 indicates that F-4C started coming off the line with F-4D style radome only from block 24, with retrofitting to earlier blocks (and showing indeed a picture from a block 20 aircraft, F-4C-20-MC 63-7641).

Also, Rambler 02 is said to be F-4C 63-7652.

Nothing more to add so far, I'm afraid...