CF-18 Hornet Dual Build for 410 "Cougar" Squadron.

Man, I finished these a while back, but never posted photos of the finished products! Back story here. About a year ago, I was contacted by the, then, Commanding Officer at 410 Squadron in Cold Lake. "Puffy" had been referred to me by a mutual friend. Puffy was looking for a couple of specific CF-18 models to be built for him. One would be "his" assigned jet, 188736. This model was to eventually be presented to the Squadron's outgoing Chief Warrant Officer (CWO). The other, 188928, would stay at 410 Sqn and be on permanent display. The kicker with 928 was it would wear brand new tail art (at that time), showcasing 30 Years of Hornet training in Canada. Cool, I was up to the task. The models needed to be done by June, where they would be presented at 410 Sqn's annual BBQ.

So, I had the models in the stash, which was great. I used Hasegawa 1/48th scale kits for both builds. I also added Wolfpack's resin CF-188 update set, as these aircraft were both upgraded jets. Decals for both came from Leading Edge Models, except for the tail art on 928. For that, I had to turn to Bill Burns and Canmilair Decals. At the time of the build, I was supplied with photos directly from 410 Sqn, on the premise that they were to be used for my reference only and not distributed to any decal companies. However, with permission, I was allowed to send the photo to Canmilair so that a set of custom decals could be made. I cannot say enough good things about the end product. Canmilair did a bang up job!

Both models were painted with Gunze acrylics. I pre-shaded both, prior to applying the base colours. The false canopies on both were painted using masks, also from Leading Edge. After painting, a coat of Tamiya Gloss clear was applied, and the decals were put onto both models. The decals from Canmilair were coated with Liquid Decal film prior to being applied. This just ensured that the decals would not smudge if they were handled to aggressively. Weathering was really done using the panel wash I applied. I used artists oils thinned with turpenoid. I also did some streaking with pastel chalks, before sealing everything in with a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear.

The models were attached to MDF bases that I had painted earlier. Piano wire was used for pins in both mail wheels and one nose wheel. Both models were attached using 5 minute epoxy.

Finally, I made the trek to Cold Lake in June to present the models to Puffy. His reaction, along with Jim Belliveau's, was fantastic. After enjoying lunch outside the hangar, the models were presented, and drew a lot of attention from the Squadron members that were present. After that, it was upstairs to the Cougar Den for a couple of drinks, then off to the Mess. Needless to say, it was a good night.

So, with that, here are the two Hornet models. Hope you enjoy!

188736_zpsce599a3b.jpg

188928_zps081d618e.jpg

Thanks guys. Actually, at the moment, I am working on three more jets. The former CO who asked me to build these two models wanted the same two for himself, while a tech at 410 also wanted a model of 928.

• 4 months later...

Very nice!Colin do,you have any photos of 188736? In particular the pilots name area and and any other markings unique to that airframe?I'm trying to settle on one airframe to model in the standard colors. I do like the cougar on the LEX fences too.Thanks kindly.Sean

Edited by strictlyscale

Nice work Colin, even if it is of fruity 410 jets.

Did you have pictures of these jets with the spot lights? Usually 410 jets have the banking plates in place. That doesn't imply they never have them installed.