I see you are Ottawa, so this will be easy for you to find.

As scary as it seems,go to your local Canadian Tire store, and pick up a rattle can of Armor Coat aluminum rust paint (47006RP522)

I have used it on several models with great success.

It goes on thin, covers well, dries quick, and stands up to handling, including masking.

majortomski, I have used this before with mixed results,but I didn't gloss coat it. A friend also made the same suggestion.

ian_maw, do you use this straight from the can or can it be put through an airbrush?

Wayne

ian_maw, do you use this straight from the can or can it be put through an airbrush?

Wayne

Straight from the can.

The first time I used it was on the wings of a 1/32 sabre to replicate the dull interspar area. Since the nearest hobby shop is a three hour drive from here, I improvised with whatever I had lying around. When I first sprayed it on, I thought it looked kind of heavy, and I thought for sure my weekend would be all about solvents and sandpaper. Within minutes, it had dried to a very thin durable finish. It took masking so well that I now use it with confidence, and have since used it on two Tamiya Mustangs.

I still recommend that you spray either a scrap model, or the inside of a wing or something just to make sure your masking materials are as compatable as mine seem to be