ACADEMY 1/48 F-4J PHANTOM II VF-84 JOLLY ROGERS

A new tool F-4J .. a subject ripe for a fresh kit. There are very good existing kits already, but a more modern kit will certainly be a hit. With all the great markings worn by these in service with the Navy and Marine Corps, and even the RAF/RN This will be a gold mine for our favorite decal artists, and resin casters.

I am more of a fan of long nose Phantoms, but with the variety of great markings the J was flown in, I am in for at least 2 kits.

$75 MSRP sounds about right, didn't the B and C/D LIST at $75, but the street price was between $50-65

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I bought this at the hobby shop this afternoon, thought I'd share a couple of pics.

The kit is basically a combination of sprues from both the F-4B and F-4C kit. The multi-color plastic is still there. Paid US$32 for it.

You get a Cartograf sheet for two lovely VF-84 schemes, one with a white radome and the other with a tan radome.

P10008551024x555_zps03033273.jpg

P10008581024x576_zps0bfa39f3.jpg

I don't mind the black plastic much, it's the white parts that annoy me.

"Aaah have a DREAM...that aaaall the little models of the woooorld...will one day be judged NOT by the color of their moooooolds...but on the content of their character...."

(apologies to MLK Jr)

When the sprue shots hit we'll know if they paid any attention and 'got the message' about the colored styrene. That black styrene has to go.

I don't mind the black plastic much, it's the white parts that annoy me.

Primer?

Primer?

That's what I did on mine, yes. But with a grey plastic it's easier to spot imperfections than with white plastic. I'm not saying it's the end of the world and an unbuildable kit (it comes with crew figures, after all), it's just something I'm not a fan of.

Ok: Have they fixed the sink marks and surface problems on the larger white parts (lower wing, vertical stabiliser, inner pylons)?

I'll pass on this and stick with Hasegawa for all but the B and C models, but I'd like to know anyway.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Ok: Have they fixed the sink marks and surface problems on the larger white parts (lower wing, vertical stabiliser, inner pylons)?

I'll pass on this and stick with Hasegawa for all but the B and C models, but I'd like to know anyway.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Both of my F-4B's do not have that issue. I believe it was related only to the F-4C/D's.

No 'sink marks' here, just lovely styrene (though mis-colored). Since no one asked, here's my 'official' (TIC) pecking order of 48th Rhinos: Academy for B/N (and in all likelihood soon -J), and the C/D. Hasegawa for the gun-noses -E/-F + Wild Weasel/Recce. The -S would be Hase also, for now. No other kits need apply, thank you for your service but you may go now (looking at you R/M, Esci, Fujimi, etc...). :deadhorse1:/>/>

Edited by metroman