Where's the Hobbyboss early Corsairs?

There is nothing wrong with the Tamiya Corsair, HB should expend energy on something we need a new tooling of.

Maybe to some people there isn't anything wrong with it but maybe to other people they think there's areas the HB kit is better than the Tamiya kit and would like the early Corsairs done by them too. As I said they've tooled up parts for them already by the break down of the kit so it only makes sense for HB to make the most of their tooling.

You're entitled to your opinion - mine is that there isn't ANY area of a Hobbyboss Corsair that is superior to the Tamiya offering (setting aside the fact that there isn't a direct comparison between the 2 as they are significantly different versions). Hobbyboss comes out short, IMO, to the Hasegawa versions for the late-model Corsairs as well, although I will grant that the engine and cockpit on the -4 is better than the old Hasegawa version of that model - but Hasegawa beats Hobbyboss where it counts to me - the basic shape of the airplane and its components.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

The wing is fine on the Tamiya kit. There is no need for early Corsairs from HB.

Wing is fine folded not quite so fine extended.

I'm sure HB will do Dash-1's considering they have 1.4 Billion home made customers and Japanese kits are just as expensive in China as Chinese kits in Japan.

In short extremely expensive so a ready made market.

You're entitled to your opinion - mine is that there isn't ANY area of a Hobbyboss Corsair that is superior to the Tamiya offering (setting aside the fact that there isn't a direct comparison between the 2 as they are significantly different versions). Hobbyboss comes out short, IMO, to the Hasegawa versions for the late-model Corsairs as well, although I will grant that the engine and cockpit on the -4 is better than the old Hasegawa version of that model - but Hasegawa beats Hobbyboss where it counts to me - the basic shape of the airplane and its components.

The wing lights are better for a start as they're in transparent plastic (unlike the Tamiya ones)and maybe some of the other details are better too (the panel lines seem a bit finer than the Tamiya ones to me). Also even though it's a different version than the Tamiya kit it still shares quite a few common parts with the earlier versions and in the September 2012 issue (86) of Model Airplane International the reviewer describes it as "so far ahead of all the other 1/48 F4U-4 Corsairs out there that this is the only kit to go for.

If the earlier HB Corsairs are like the later ones by HB then I can't really see how the Tamiya kit is better.

... in the September 2012 issue (86) of Model Airplane International the reviewer describes it as "so far ahead of all the other 1/48 F4U-4 Corsairs out there that this is the only kit to go for.

If the earlier HB Corsairs are like the later ones by HB then I can't really see how the Tamiya kit is better.

The trouble with that reasoning is that the only 1/48 F4U-4 kits to compare to the HB offering are either old (Hasegawa), poor (Academy) or both (Monogram). While some may (and do) argue that the Hasegawa kit, even with its raised panel lines and detail deficiencies (cockpit, windscreen, wheels to name a few) is preferable because of its basic shape, a reviewer might validly choose the HB. However, none of those kits (leaving aside the HB) is anywhere near in the same league as the Tamiya F4U-1 series. Comparison of the Tamiya kits with HB is a very different proposition IMHO.

The trouble with that reasoning is that the only 1/48 F4U-4 kits to compare to the HB offering are either old (Hasegawa), poor (Academy) or both (Monogram). While some may (and do) argue that the Hasegawa kit, even with its raised panel lines and detail deficiencies (cockpit, windscreen, wheels to name a few) is preferable because of its basic shape, a reviewer might validly choose the HB. However, none of those kits (leaving aside the HB) is anywhere near in the same league as the Tamiya F4U-1 series. Comparison of the Tamiya kits with HB is a very different proposition IMHO.

And that the HB kit shares quite a few parts with the earlier versions. Maybe the earlier versions won't be very good but the HB kit looks like a pretty good attempt at the F4U-4 to me and I can't really see what's so bad about it. I was disappointed with the Tamiya kit when it came out and whilst I don't think it's a terrible kit or anything I don't think it's up to the standards of some of their other 1/48th kits like the Mosquito.

• 1 year later...

And that the HB kit shares quite a few parts with the earlier versions. Maybe the earlier versions won't be very good but the HB kit looks like a pretty good attempt at the F4U-4 to me and I can't really see what's so bad about it. I was disappointed with the Tamiya kit when it came out and whilst I don't think it's a terrible kit or anything I don't think it's up to the standards of some of their other 1/48th kits like the Mosquito.

The HB -4 has a number of shape issues from a muffed up cowl to bogus wheel wells, and one boxing (the first run of the 'early' boxing) came with fictional outer wings (some how they managed to include the outer wings for a Corsair II or IV in a kit for a -4). It's a passable -4 and arguably the best on the market, but it's inferior in basic accuracy to both the Tamiya -1's and the Hasegawa -4.

The only real advantage of a HB early Corsair is it will have the correct landing light configuration for a standard -1A or -1D, which the Tamiya does not (Tamiya boxes -1 outer wings in all their -1/-1A/-1D boxings, the big landing light was skinned over in early -1A production and eliminated later in the -1A run).