A couple of 1/72 and 1/48 Hornets

That I do Sernak, and I happen to have an AWESOME decal sheet by Fightertown :) I just need to figure out a way to squeeze some more models in a place allowed.

Edited by Thadeus
  • 1 month later...

#58 Hasegawa 1/72 CF-188A 439th squadron, 1992. Built using Leading Edge decals, done for the Tiger Group build here on ARC!

I've used Aires intakes - as usual they are AWESOME! This time however, I've decided to build the cockpit using bits from my spares box - Fujimi IP, some spare cockpit parts from Academy, and stick from Hasegawa Super Hornet. I've even added a pilot :)

I've had minor issues lining up the decals to where I wanted them, but with plenty of water I've managed to avoid major problems ;) Plus, these decals were not designed to fit my drooped flaps ;) so there was some cutting required :) Big thanks to Leading Edge for adding square decal with dark gray :) It was quite usefull ;)

I've screwed up the walkway, it didn't line up :( I've mixed some paint and brushed it - should've been more carefull applying those decals.

All in all, very pleasant build. A unique bird which looks pretty nice among other Hornets :)

DSCN4000.JPG

DSCN4328.JPG

DSCN4329.JPG

DSCN4330.JPG

DSCN4331.JPG

DSCN4334.JPG

DSCN4337.JPG

DSCN4339.JPG

DSCN4342.JPG

Right now it's stored in a shoe box, but I see a place for it in my display case :) just have to find some time to rearrange things in there :)

Thanks for checking out my collection :)

Thadeus..... WOW, that is such an impressive collection. I have enjoyed seeing all the different marking you have on each one! I like so many that you have done. You must have quite a large display case!

-Mark

Thanks mate! This turns out to be quite challenging project. And pretty expansive. I do have two IKEA Detolf display cases. However a lot of my models sit in a box. I found out those large Hasegawa Boxes in which they give You 1/72 combo sets, or 1/48 models are pretty good for storage :)

It can carry up to 5 legacy Hornets with wings folded:

DSCN4345.JPG

Or four Super Hornets:

DSCN4356.JPG

Luckilly, I have some shelf space left:

DSCN4359.JPG

Somewhere in there I must fit my Su-34 that's about to be completed.

For some time now I've been thinking about abandoning 1/72 and moving up to 1/48. But when I think of all those Hornets I'd have to let go...

In 2 - 3 months I'll probably have to get rid of my other display case at my parents. That is going to be a problem ;)

• 4 years later...

#59 Academy 1/72 F/A-18A+, VMFA-232, Academy decals.

Hi Folks! Merry Christmas to all of You! I've not been around for sometime. But the project is still ongoing. Sort of. Back in 2017/2018 I've redone some of my Hornets, including this one.

It's posted as #6, but since I;ve redone it, stripped paint and such, I guess I'm giving it a new number 😉

Here's the previous one:

And here's how it looked before I begun:gE1NCjLoMfGUm97DehrARpSEq5aqtcGMmnliNliV

With paint stripped:

k0KYeT6OzDiyrP1yZTm_StN8yVqIvKVtMY5A4Cqu

I could not remove the second engine nozzle without damaging it, so I left it on.

ZZFNSqH0WLrdJSpNnm4yNyCwRunwf55SpTVMCOkX

Main gear were also glued a little too good. Took the idea from depot maintenance, as they seem to cover everything with some sort of foil.

Brand new red/white tails:

HiJOqo7w1j1tUGvm_3PuPew4hZH5gkLx7hO-ro9M

YFiDnBOJaw8chHRGQV58n9H1_xP6ZhJXsd9Ac82B

And Voila!

6hl9k27qK6goi5TbhTm5J5e3dy7lSFyWzHmWvSJ3

U71mhCdskfEem9CKcTa1xvs5ZW_23KZjwtGPdI3K

S6VtFH5GEKlEWa38pahh15njeq9Tkz7uUKtRalch

08O7uKuzWrcbDEsB4q7z2F4r6uNinKmjigpKO9jD

kykOo8O4Tg11d2zOvpuQNVjFafvBK6yda8sSsQNw

KECsHLQ6X8Jij2GJzBTlzOJkAorv3nbdznqntdVn

Not the best pictures. Unfortunatly, I will not be able to take any more. In march 2018 I've had a minor-ish accident where I lost close to 40 models. This one included. So most of my Hornets and other models are now gone, with just a few still standing. My biggest gripe is that it was my own fault.  Hey on the bright side, I have a lot of shelf space now.

#60 Academy F/A-18D VMFA(aw)-121

Another one already made. I refurbished it alongside the VMFA-232 one. Previously a #15 on the list.

A complimentary "before" shot.

Z59U5VvzRYQvjQrFGY0opNL7VV3sugjbOYy4L2CB

Didn't remove the paint, since I don't have spare decals. Filled a few gaps, made new airfoils between the wing and trailing edge flaps. So I just gave it a gloss coat, added wash, flat coated it, repainted canopy, not that much.

UrNSMzzP_jGwfi2GJ1jrzZ_h5COxenZNGZfkwIQa

Cm-NCzjpDZycMhA3LG42jJzpMZPeTvoIW9bqp705

NzotZ3XLnnaPCpmimS57q0FUHWN9zTgw-xUXUW81

VtrmZtOoS1NcDDGfK6kD76XVGc3fUKUHOn4g9wFl

uh8GkDqwmy1QQd3uOLQXd0WoshXa7Zj0Pkou23fQ

Shame it got destroyed too.Really liked that markings.

I have two more Hornets redone from earlier builds, but frankly didn't take any pics as of now. They were the only legacy Hornets damaged in the accident that I could rebuild, have one more that's still in the process. I'm gonna take some pics in the following days, and post them.

#60 Hasegawa F/A-18D VMFA(aw)-224, 2009, Hasegawa decals, done in 2017/2018.

Built for the USN Legacy Squadron GB in 2017.

Gotta say that is the most modded Hasegawa Hornet. It has the Rob Taurus windscreen (for Academy kit), Academy kit exhaust cans, Hasegawa Super Hornet aft IP cover. I also attemped to make intakes, which I'm really proud of. Actually, currently it's my last legacy Hornet in 1/72 scale.

AFPDdkF8xErckeCEMYjw4m8FkHplsgdmJTWHd9yA

1F9EMwlWMpNTDoIrbyllzk2_wHxZx59K211mO3T6

uakygYA31lmYpDTwZkxn7_n8N7UJEYKQYn-ZyQUe

VG8nusIydsBpQWYRFLAsNI72bg73iQZtmkYyhe3v

HMoAbxeh7x_X4WC2SWP_MimuncK-BEi5mEPCcvLz

FepYJp30yA9zg4kcHCMnMfgJQ6mXCzTMCxJOruMW

l4xXXOk5J74frQiZdiOrpK29WyhL-qI_DsxUaee0

oorhbWO-ybolKpo8oH-APBqswXIXB9goZWVsu9nH

IvzEBI_g2Q2fXWKwr5RbqexUqbQqdGv1MAU8Ko9U

oGwzdtEabfGMzR44ndkFvOuISE272f8tIQU4rqkO

Love that shot!

jMhEeKJmfitwNG82o3lsdy1sFp1a8PPwTQ_-v3Cy

I guess this raised the bar on my Hasegawa Hornets. Actually, nowadays I've rectified my take on Academy vs Hasegawa legacy bugs. Found some weird errors in Academy kit, such as the front landing gear that's put too far forward. Have no idea how to fix it, and since I've discovered it, it's so obvious I can't hide it.

#61 Hobby Boss. 1/48 F/A-18 C, VFA-81, 17 january 1991. CAM decals.

Again, done for the USN Legacy Squadron GB.

Really like this build. I've gotta say, I'm not too much convinced on the HB Hornet. I've built a Hasegawa one in distant past, got some spare parts left, such as the canopy, windscreen, intakes, landing gear, seat. Also I added some rudimentary intakes. The mk84's are actually 1/32 mk82's lengthed a bit. After a lot of deliberation I wouldn't buy another HB Hornet, unless I had at least a spare Hasegawa windscreen. On all of the completed Hobby Boss Hornets the windscreen/nose transition looks the worst. Intakes are not the best either, but they don't show all that much.

What I really liked, were the panel lines. Ok. Some are missing, such as horizontal panel line on the spine. Or some on the tails. But the ones that are actually there, are nice, crisp, and not as shallow as on the Hasegawa. And the price. I like they are much cheaper that Hasegawa or Kinetic.

Did I forget something? Oh, yes, pictures!

VbHOpmQXPibIzaC08KDd4CCxseCKy5XaF3f5JmwQ

I've not fitted the LEX fences, since I've read that this machine might  have them removed on the day of the engagement. Didn't see any photo evidence to prove it, but it made a nice story. Still have them in my spares box, just in case.

C5smKhAbozmxdAmgTIHaTpPKv-nX-HIS8hYG2MYGfawEJd9AOvxbfEeYa8Knj5vh27AOevV_B0YYxORB

EO8mavDRl1VpHmQjMpnNIk3ua-mj5XacL1GHndDL

ILSPSOT5bUVH4kH7nJOqNyJ0bRWzfZ0UdVqQhher

j2gSl7m2Z7VfcUfZ8c_O2cLb3Qvqf4pLSb9x2f64

hVIMeYHlOO4lD5X_09RQIz7FKLOKLqUEBZj7RFij

Ps_umttq51fGxGJg4reispcnAguZJGG5xna06vWk

sYkU5tb-9VhqHfcgmKW4LAlfdp9wit14uO6t53jX

GQBVJwMI_4wE3qFOsBZRiGBqhmND1CZ7AHNXfGR7

PpJfpzI_AgRHJYSm11eTAX5PXUuQeSetfHKXxY4n

I guess You just have to believe me, the intakes are actually there...

Rl7uP67ldzqIlS84JpisiQ6YYq-dxfZYUCz2a7xG

Tgu9kUGyrl2EphO0OQlBrYRua8co6E1Px4ZHSa-q

This was supposed to be one of my 3 Hornets in 1/48, but after the accident I'm considering building more. And actually got myself a few Hasegawas and Kinetics.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a nice day!