Looking for 1/32 P-38L ideas, especially decals

Hi Guys,

Now that the A-10C Hog has been put to bed, it's time to research my next build, which will be the Trumpeter P-38L-5LO kit. I also have the following aftermarket stuff to throw into this project so far:

1. Cutting Edge cockpit (CEC32159),
  2. SAC metal landing gear,
  3. Masterdetails Supercharger resin,
  4. Grey Matters corrected props,
  5. GM wheels,
  6. Eduard Exterior PE
  7. Eduard undercarriage PE,
  8. and the Profinodeler brass gun set

For decals, I have the two sets of Bombshell "Wicked Women" decals (Part I and II), but I'm not all that thrilled with the 4 subjects.

I also have 4 books to help me with details:

1. D&S P-38 Lightning Part 1
  2. D&S P-38 Lightning Part 2
  3. Squadron P-38 Lightning in Action
  4. Squadron P-38 Walk Around

So here's my preliminary plan- and thus the questions. I think I want to build a "Restored Bird" that is very pristine and pretty, rather than heavily weathered during wartime. From what I've seen of other Warbirds of WW-II that are restored, they are very often copies of other serial numbers, so perfect accuracy to any particular subject isn't all that necessary. I want to add tons of detail as usual, but if a switch, probe or plate is wrong, I'm not going to worry about it. I would like this build to have a very highly polished NMF rather than being mostly painted and I think a Pacific Theater subject is my preferred route, because I'm not a big fan of European invasion stripes. Whatever I pick, I'll need very good decals on the NMF, so that might influence my decision on which P-38 to build. I was thinking of maybe doing the Red Bull P-38, but I'd need to get custom decals, which are always a risk, and this aircraft doesn't have superchargers.

So now the questions:

1. Any suggestions on subject and where can I buy the decals for it?
  2. Are there any other after-market items I should buy?
  3. Do you have tips on this kit and/or can you refer me to other builds where I can pick them up?

Thanks guys for anything you can provide!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

I'd love to see you model the Red Bull -38, however there are a LOT of changes required.

Early type cooler openings, no blowers, scoops on the booms for cooling, no guns.

IIRC the Red Bull bird was Lefty Gardners 38, they restored it after its last unplanned landing/fire.

Chuck,

Looks like the Belt colours come down to the era you are building..... if it is a modern restoration it looks like the belts would be green. From what pictures I have seen while googling it looks like all three colours apply depending on the aircraft. I also noticed that there are variations in the control yoke..... not to add any frustration. LOL

:cheers:

Emil

Chuck,

I'd love to see you model the Red Bull -38, however there are a LOT of changes required.

Early type cooler openings, no blowers, scoops on the booms for cooling, no guns.

IIRC the Red Bull bird was Lefty Gardners 38, they restored it after its last unplanned landing/fire.

Yeah, I know. I saw it in person at Nellis AFB a few years ago before it flew to Europe and I took lots of pics of it. Beautiful! However, now that I'm doing research on P-38's, I find that there are so many changes required it wouldn't be worth it and I want to use the cool guns and superchargers I've already bought. Further, you better have a super thin and perfect decal if you're laying them down on a BMF. I can get a custom made decal made, but I don't think it will be good enough.

Chuck,

Looks like the Belt colours come down to the era you are building..... if it is a modern restoration it looks like the belts would be green. From what pictures I have seen while googling it looks like all three colours apply depending on the aircraft. I also noticed that there are variations in the control yoke..... not to add any frustration. LOL

:cheers:

Emil

Thanks Emil!

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

I'm presently building the Academy 1/48 scale P-38L, which will be finished in a operational NMF. I purchased the Kit World decals, and they do look rather nice. The 1/32 scale sheet is exactly the same.

Joel

You have a good collection of aftermarket. There are no wheels I really like. The best I've seen so far are the contact resin ones. Wish Eduard, Ultracast or Barracuda would put out some 1/32 wheels.

For decals/paint mask this 95th FS ship (red tail) is one of my favorites. Montex K32040.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/montex/mtxk32040.htm

http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=00868

http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=00632

http://www.ww2color.com/nennius/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=01514

Mike

Thanks a lot guys for all the help.

I ordered the Kagero Pacific Lightnings Part 1 and Part 2 decals and I already have the Bombshell decals "Wicked Women" Part 1 and Part 2 decals, so I'll have likely a dozen or so aircraft to choose from. It's hard to decide from small pics on the internet which is the best subject and I don't mind buying too many decals because they always go out of production eventually and then the price skyrockets, so I'm sure I'll get my money back (and then some) eventually! The Kagero Part 1 decals are already "Unavailable" from Kagero, so I picked up a set on ebay for less than retail.

Again, I don't care if this bird really exists today as a real survivor, because almost all the survivors are relabeled with different nose art etc. than when they flew in WW-II. I guess you could call it a "What-if", but at least it will be based on the real deal as it came out of the factory and the nose art was applied in the field.