I know that feeling of putting time into a tiny piece only to drop and lose it 😢

Amazing work 👍

Thanx for the sympathy, nimrod :D

I did actually not utter well chosen words. ..I would have liked to but my girls in hvd next room had finally fallen asleep :P

Janne,

You're a model building machine. The Canard flaps look perfect, and I see no reason that the flaps won't turn out equally as well, especially since you've already done the hard part with the sheet hinges.

As for the HUD and the anti glare shield, both clearly show your excellent scratch building skills. Donating small parts to the trash bin, or in my case the carpet monster, happens on a regular basis. Sad, but so true.

Joel

Janne,

You're a model building machine. The Canard flaps look perfect, and I see no reason that the flaps won't turn out equally as well, especially since you've already done the hard part with the sheet hinges.

As for the HUD and the anti glare shield, both clearly show your excellent scratch building skills. Donating small parts to the trash bin, or in my case the carpet monster, happens on a regular basis. Sad, but so true.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Hehe, I don't know about excellent....passable is more like it :P

At least I'm not afraid of carving plastic :)

Think ya can handle another update?

Here it comes anyways :P

Glued in the HUD frame and trimmed some tape....

IMG_1993_zps5d5ae4b1.jpg

HAd to sand a bit on the center bit to make the windscreen fit.

IMG_1994_zps3ae30ba8.jpg

A bit of paint...

IMG_1996_zps34c5b9a3.jpg

Checked if the flaps hinges fit....they did

IMG_1998_zpsf87fb15b.jpg

Drilled a series of 7 lightening holes on each side from 1mm to 0.6mm

IMG_1999_zpsd0f50f0d.jpg

Fit the flaps into place and glued them...

IMG_2001_zps55466410.jpg

A little overview...

IMG_2002_zpsea2de9e4.jpg

Back to the pit... drybrushed the glare shield.

IMG_2004_zps77278559.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

drew the shapes of the HUD glass on to tape and taped it onto actetate and cut along the lines :P

IMG_2006_zpsa1b1c6f1.jpg

And the HUD glass in place...

IMG_2007_zpsdb2f8327.jpg

glued on a strip of plasticard to the rear of the windscreen...the canopy rest onto that.

IMG_2009_zpsa39b23da.jpg

MAsked the windscreen and glued into place.

IMG_2011_zpsf3e20666.jpg

MOre masking....made sausages out of tac-it and put it down alonf the rim of the cockpit and then taped over it. Plastic foam into the intakes.

IMG_2014_zpsecc4d7c6.jpg

taped the reverser slits...

IMG_2016_zps47c85a4b.jpg

And went ahead and primed it all in Alclad grey primer :D

IMG_2021_zpscaaff19f.jpg

IMG_2022_zpsa96d3069.jpg

Moving along nicely this :D

Cheers!

Janne,

Moving along at warp speed is more like it. The flaps really look quite nice. Your HUD also turned out quite well.

While I prime with lacquer, I use either Tamiya Gray Surface Primer or Mr. Surfacer Primer 1,000. I've never used the Alcad gray primer even when I will be air brushing Alcad's. Do you find much of a difference between it and the other lacquer primers?

Joel

Janne,

Moving along at warp speed is more like it. The flaps really look quite nice. Your HUD also turned out quite well.

While I prime with lacquer, I use either Tamiya Gray Surface Primer or Mr. Surfacer Primer 1,000. I've never used the Alcad gray primer even when I will be air brushing Alcad's. Do you find much of a difference between it and the other lacquer primers?

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

It´s the only primer I´ve ever used....so I can´t really comment on that, I´m happy with it and it smells wonderously :P

Looking good

Thanx a4s4eva :D

Janne,

Speaking of paint smells, I've just about finished the camo paint scheme on the F-15C using Model Master enamels. And the smell is worse then lacquers. Outside of priming and matt finishes I'm going back to acrylics. Can't really use my homemade paint booth which fits directly in a window, as we're in the middle of a blast of Artic air, so there is no way I'm opening a window. Temps yesterday were in the low 20sF, and last night at work it dropped down to 8F. This morning when I was heading home, it was 5F degrees. It never gets that cold here on Long Island.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Almost there...she looks great!!!

Thanx coneheadff :D

Moving along at a nice pace now

Janne,

Speaking of paint smells, I've just about finished the camo paint scheme on the F-15C using Model Master enamels. And the smell is worse then lacquers. Outside of priming and matt finishes I'm going back to acrylics. Can't really use my homemade paint booth which fits directly in a window, as we're in the middle of a blast of Artic air, so there is no way I'm opening a window. Temps yesterday were in the low 20sF, and last night at work it dropped down to 8F. This morning when I was heading home, it was 5F degrees. It never gets that cold here on Long Island.

Joel

Brrrr..that's cold :/

It rarely gets that cold here in Gothenburg, we benefit from the Gulf stream.....So winters tend to be rainy, humid, raw and stormy affairs. Needs to be really cold siberian winds to bring a white winter here :P

Thanx coneheadff :D/>

Moving along at a nice pace now

Brrrr..that's cold :/

It rarely gets that cold here in Gothenburg, we benefit from the Gulf stream.....So winters tend to be rainy, humid, raw and stormy affairs. Needs to be really cold siberian winds to bring a white winter here :P/>

Janne,

And I had the exact opposite idea of your winters. We usually stay in the low to mid 30s, but we do get our share of snow. Sometimes way too much like 2-3 ft. And we're not equipped to handle that.

Joel

Janne,

And I had the exact opposite idea of your winters. We usually stay in the low to mid 30s, but we do get our share of snow. Sometimes way too much like 2-3 ft. And we're not equipped to handle that.

Joel

Hehe, many do.....

Sweden is a very elongated in the southern/northern direction and while the northernmost parts are above the Arctic circle, the southernmost parts have mild and humid winters as do the costal regions. When the Bothnian bay is frozen over and the Arctic winds blow we can get decent winters. It's not that usual that the entire country is snow covered.... we usually get a bit of snow in January but it rarely stays more than a couple of weeks.

Janne,

FANTASTIC build of the Viggen! I really admire your attention to detail, and desire to try and get the model as close to accurate as possible. Your scratch building is fairly impressive as well. Thank you for the detailed posts of how you achieve your results, and the little tips specific to this aircraft (like the canard flaps pointing to the leading edge of the main wing) are really going to help those who build this aircraft model.

Cheers,

Mark.

Janne,

FANTASTIC build of the Viggen! I really admire your attention to detail, and desire to try and get the model as close to accurate as possible. Your scratch building is fairly impressive as well. Thank you for the detailed posts of how you achieve your results, and the little tips specific to this aircraft (like the canard flaps pointing to the leading edge of the main wing) are really going to help those who build this aircraft model.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanx Mark :D

I try to show how make it as accurate as possible as simply as possibly :) No doubt there'll be a plethora of corrective resin for the kit but since it's an expensive kit to begin with, adding resin is a cost you want to avoid.

The small peculiarities of the fighter viggen are good to know, makes it easier to differentiate from the ground pounder viggen and to give it that "viggen-ness" that makes it look right :)

It's all in the details...

Impressive as always!, very inspirational

After I finish my KH foxbat (which I love and decided not to fix almost nothing), I think I'm going to revive my Viggen (again), using your work as reference to do some corrections and maybe consulting you as well :sunrevolves:/>/>.

When I look at kits today and I see a lot of work, except for Skyhawks (my Viggens), I really don't care much about it unless it's awful obvious, like 99% of +30 guys around the globe, nowadays having so little time to work in the models, with so many models in the stash (and I just got 8 new Kinetic's Mirage IIIE :yahoo:/>/>) that I cant even think on spending endless hours researching and fixing an knob or a panel line.

Having said that, is so cool to see you spend "endless" hours fixing a profile, a hinge or the position of a pitot tube.

Thanks mate for sharing, I promess I will get back to show what I do as I once did many many moons ago.

Reading you talk about the cold winter, in the other half of the globe we're in the middle of summer, in Buenos Aires temperatures get close to 32C (90F) with 70-85% humidity. I'm thinking to move south closer the Patagonia's end, where in the most southern city in the world (also the closest to the Antartida: Ushuahia) now in the middle of summer temp is only 6C... heaven!.

Cheers!

Edited by Der Grüne Punkt

Impressive as always!, very inspirational

After I finish my KH foxbat (which I love and decided not to fix almost nothing), I think I'm going to revive my Viggen (again), using your work as reference to do some corrections and maybe consulting you as well :sunrevolves:/>/>/>.

When I look at kits today and I see a lot of work, except for Skyhawks (my Viggens), I really don't care much about it unless it's awful obvious, like 99% of +30 guys around the globe, nowadays having so little time to work in the models, with so many models in the stash (and I just got 8 new Kinetic's Mirage IIIE :yahoo:/>/>/>) that I cant even think on spending endless hours researching and fixing an knob or a panel line.

Having said that, is so cool to see you spend "endless" hours fixing a profile, a hinge or the position of a pitot tube.

Thanks mate for sharing, I promess I will get back to show what I do as I once did many many moons ago.

Reading you talk about the cold winter, in the other half of the globe we're in the middle of summer, in Buenos Aires temperatures get close to 32C (90F) with 70-85% humidity. I'm thinking to move south closer the Patagonia's end, where in the most southern city in the world (also the closest to the Antartida: Ushuahia) now in the middle of summer temp is only 6C... heaven!.

Cheers!

Thanx Der Grüne Punkt :D

We all have our favourite subjects, the ones we are prepared to that extra distance. I usually don't go potty over all the details in a build.....this build warranted it tho :) Resin is a time saver but it costs....

The next build will be far simpler!

:jaw-dropping:/>/> no johan on. Hienoa tekemistä taas.

Great progress...

edit. my 100. post :D/>

Thanx Mikkod :D

Hehe only 100 posts? you don´t say much do you.... Laconic Finn :P

Guess I´ve been in sweden too long and become a talkative one :P

Been doing boring stuff :P

Puttied up some places...made my liquid putty mix with tamyia putty and thinner.

IMG_2023_zps0f85c9cf.jpg

Sanded and sanded...

IMG_2029_zps7ee7b8a7.jpg

scribed lost lines and reprimed....still some stuff to do before paint but it´s looking up :D

IMG_2030_zps90f16a30.jpg

IMG_2031_zps6893653c.jpg

IMG_2032_zps9a00db4c.jpg

Soooon preshade and paint :D

Cheers!