Looking nice. Good to see that my greasy fingers didn't leave any lasting marks on the finish :-)

If you´re going for that tired "noughties" look, you still have some way to go however. But it looks great for a used but not worn out look from the late 80's or 90's.

Looking nice. Good to see that my greasy fingers didn't leave any lasting marks on the finish :-)

If you´re going for that tired "noughties" look, you still have some way to go however. But it looks great for a used but not worn out look from the late 80's or 90's.

Thanx Erik :D

Oh I've just begun dirtying it up :D

Thanks for sharing the "squiggles" technique, it's a reasonable representation of accumulated grime. To date, I've not been a fan of pre-shading techniques because they often produce an extremely uniform pattern of grubbiness around panel lines that I find generally inconsistent with the weathering on the subject aircraft. However, I think judicious use of the pre-shading technique and more extensive use of the squiggles technique goes a long way to representing the inconsistent colouring and grime accumulation on operational military aircraft. Your Viggen is an excellent example of what can be achieved, I like it.

Thanks for sharing the "squiggles" technique, it's a reasonable representation of accumulated grime. To date, I've not been a fan of pre-shading techniques because they often produce an extremely uniform pattern of grubbiness around panel lines that I find generally inconsistent with the weathering on the subject aircraft. However, I think judicious use of the pre-shading technique and more extensive use of the squiggles technique goes a long way to representing the inconsistent colouring and grime accumulation on operational military aircraft. Your Viggen is an excellent example of what can be achieved, I like it.

Thanx Rob :D

Like every other techniques... preshade isn't THE technique, it's just another tool in the box. The point is to use every tool to their ability without overdoing it and not to rely on only one tool.

That's one of the reasons I hate the debates of one technique vs another...they all can be made to serve a purpose and bring something to the whole :D

No big fan av preshading but your method works great! :thumbsup:/>

Looking forward to more. :)/>

Thanx Anders :D

Go ahead and play around with it, Anders....you´ll be making some intresting effects.

I want your skills, Janne. Are they for sale..? ;)/>

Looking forward to see you build a splinter-camo 37 after this one...

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:/>

Thanx Jörgen :D

LOL didn´t I just do a splinter AJ last year? There´s no pleasing you is there :P

I like painting and there is no short Cuts, you want to be a good painter you have to paint lots.....practise makes skill :P

The painting continues :D

Time for a new color...

The 37398 has better painting done here and there, specially where the day glo markings will go both on the fin and the wings.

I use fs 35237 for this, this color pretty much looks like the fresh darker gray paint and if you´re doing a freshly painted gray JA then this is the paint to use.

IMG_2054_zps5e4c0de1.jpg

I went over with FS 35237 and made some post shading and some postshading and detail paint with FS 35475.

IMG_2055_zps0961c863.jpg

You see how the dark grey on top has been further bleached with FS 36475.

IMG_2056_zpse57aed14.jpg

Next was the nose cone, I painted it with Alclad gloss black, the grey was painted over the black radomes and they didn´t stick very well, this is the base for some fancy chipping later :D

IMG_2057_zps1cf02969.jpg

Looks kinda cool with a black nose cone don´t ya think :D

IMG_2058_zpsf0823915.jpg

More painting tomorrow

Cheers!

LOL didn´t I just do a splinter AJ last year? There´s no pleasing you is there :P

You know I'm on to your scheme... You don't actually build models, but steal real aircraft and shrink them! ;)

Think of it this way... To really compare old vs. new, you need to make a Tarangus copy of your ESCI/Airfix/TwoMikes Viggen...

You owe it to your fans..! :)

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

You know I'm on to your scheme... You don't actually build models, but steal real aircraft and shrink them! ;)/>

Think of it this way... To really compare old vs. new, you need to make a Tarangus copy of your ESCI/Airfix/TwoMikes Viggen...

You owe it to your fans..! :)/>

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:/>

LOL

Thanx ......I think :P

Well I still have the SH, SF and SK to do :D

The painting continues....

Masked off the wing probes and first shot some Alaclad white aluminium....

IMG_2060_zpsjvk2irmu.jpg

Masked and painted the fin tip white...

IMG_2061_zps2ceuomro.jpg

MAsked some more on the wingprobes and then shot alclad gloss black on top and then removed the masks.

IMG_2062_zpsiiro1uy6.jpg

Next up was the nose cone....it´s going to get the vaseline treatment....

IMG_2063_zps5nncijb6.jpg

Like so...

IMG_2064_zpssgrjuerx.jpg

MAsked off the tip with a roll of tape...

IMG_2066_zpsnlv1tedd.jpg

And primed with white and then shot FS 36495 on it.

IMG_2068_zpsnv5zcluo.jpg

Off with the mask and rubbed off the vaseline.

IMG_2069_zpsyq1mtzk9.jpg

Starting to look like the good old 37398 :D

IMG_2070_zpskkycqjz9.jpg

IMG_2073_zpssa6or3ov.jpg

Next is a clear coat and then decals :D

Cheers!

Janne,

This is the 1st time I've ever heard or saw the Vaseline method. Looks very similar to the salt method, but you end up with much smaller patches. Seems also that it's much easier to control.

Joel

Janne,

This is the 1st time I've ever heard or saw the Vaseline method. Looks very similar to the salt method, but you end up with much smaller patches. Seems also that it's much easier to control.

Joel

yeah, it's really good for those small chips :D

Vaseline treatment.. I knew you were a pervert, Janne, but there must be a limit to the perversions!

:-D

Takes one to know one ;)

Took a little break from the on going torture of putting on decals :P

Had a bit of issues with the dayglo decals from Eurodecal, they started getting all bubbly underneath and generally misbehvaing.

I´ve popped bubbles and brushed on microsol in 4 sessions now and they still doesn´t look good. Considering cutting my losses and leave them be.

And YES I´ve polished the surface and it´s gloss coated!!! :P

IMG_2077_zpsdg38cvmm.jpg

IMG_2078_zpsbhnffdgf.jpg

IMG_2079_zpsyybqghm3.jpg

This is where I´m at right now...still havee a ton of stencils to put on :/

IMG_2080_zpsfxtpqvk6.jpg

IMG_2081_zpslsdbmgg9.jpg

There...back to torturing myself,

Cheers!

Janne,

Sure looks like all those orange decals from Eurodecal didn't react with the Micro system as intended. They started to wrinkle up, but by the looks of them they never shrunk and tightened up in a uniform manner. Same for the bubbles, there are just too many bubbles to be just trapped air. Seems more like the end result of a chemical reaction. Since the Swedish emblems look perfect, I can't see how the smoothness of the surface would have contributed to this. Have you used this brand of decal before with the Micro system?

I've modified my decal procedures after watching Paul Budzik's decaling video and started using Solvaset as the final setting solution. While the decaling process now takes much longer, the results are truly outstanding and very consistent.

Joel

Janne,

Sure looks like all those orange decals from Eurodecal didn't react with the Micro system as intended. They started to wrinkle up, but by the looks of them they never shrunk and tightened up in a uniform manner. Same for the bubbles, there are just too many bubbles to be just trapped air. Seems more like the end result of a chemical reaction. Since the Swedish emblems look perfect, I can't see how the smoothness of the surface would have contributed to this. Have you used this brand of decal before with the Micro system?

I've modified my decal procedures after watching Paul Budzik's decaling video and started using Solvaset as the final setting solution. While the decaling process now takes much longer, the results are truly outstanding and very consistent.

Joel

Yeah, I was thinking some kind of reaction was going down as well... The close ups of the dayglo show them kind of still wet. Microsol wrinkles decals but the wrinkles disapears when it dries.

The Eurodecals are poo....I'll strip and paint instead I think.

Yeah, I was thinking some kind of reaction was going down as well... The close ups of the dayglo show them kind of still wet. Microsol wrinkles decals but the wrinkles disapears when it dries.

The Eurodecals are poo....I'll strip and paint instead I think.

Janne,

Certainly a lot more unexpected work, but after all the time and effort you've put into the Viggen build, I really think it's the right decision, and certainly time well spent.

BTW, we're expecting a major blizzard snow storm of historic proportions starting Monday night. Gotta love 3 ft or moreof snow. Looks like I won't be going to work on Tuesday (off Monday), But I'll be snow blowing and shoveling snow most of the day rather then modeling. I just can't catch a break.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Janne,

Certainly a lot more unexpected work, but after all the time and effort you've put into the Viggen build, I really think it's the right decision, and certainly time well spent.

BTW, we're expecting a major blizzard snow storm of historic proportions starting Monday night. Gotta love 3 ft or moreof snow. Looks like I won't be going to work on Tuesday (off Monday), But I'll be snow blowing and shoveling snow most of the day rather then modeling. I just can't catch a break.

Joel

Neato...we got some snow too...half an inch and it´ll be gone by the middle of the week :P

Hmmm...I think the issue with the Erodecals are athat they are very thin and dayglo decals are simply too "see through"

Had they been printed ontop of white first they should have been fine.

Here are the big numerals cured....the bubbles and wrinkles are gone but there are dark patches all over and lots of small holes from me poking bubbles :P

IMG_2082_zpsapugzjtu.jpg

IMG_2083_zpszbj7ijpb.jpg

I think I have a cunning plan......

Let´s see how this pans out...

Here´s a fin wiht the dodgy dayglo decals.....Looks nasty, right?

IMG_2084_zpsluqu5s4g.jpg

Good thin the Tarangus decals are very thin as well...since then I can do this!

I put the Tarangus triangle decals on top...right now it looks thick and flabby but with a bit of microsol it didn´t look half bad actually.

IMG_2085_zpsvvcriimd.jpg

And there was a couple eights as well....

IMG_2086_zpsnjvpsav6.jpg

NOw there wasn´t any zeroes....so I ha ve to make them :P

I used a couple of nines and and fours and started cutting things up.

IMG_2087_zpsajeir1sc.jpg

and lastly a piece of four...

IMG_2088_zpsnaxmrkgo.jpg

I call that a save :D

Cheers!