Magnus, the Bandai kits seems to be the same class as the Fine Molds. I received the X-wing and Tie Advanced yesterday and had to do a quick comparison.. HavenĀ“t built them yet, so the fit is unknown. They do have the same crisp details and in some ways more details than the FM kits. But foremost, they are available..

I of course plan to build all my SW kits eventually.. preferably before I die..

I must sat that i didn't like the Look of the Bandai kits very much. maybe they will be looking better built and available for a direct comparison.

But even if they are as good, the ebay prices of the Fine Mould kits have rocketed in the last 6 months. Especially for the Millenium Falcon. At this moment, it would probably sell at 2 or 3 times what I paid for it. That would get me between 4 and 6 Tarangus Viggen kits. Is it worth putting the modelling knife into such a cash cow?

I must sat that i didn't like the Look of the Bandai kits very much. maybe they will be looking better built and available for a direct comparison.

But even if they are as good, the ebay prices of the Fine Mould kits have rocketed in the last 6 months. Especially for the Millenium Falcon. At this moment, it would probably sell at 2 or 3 times what I paid for it. That would get me between 4 and 6 Tarangus Viggen kits. Is it worth putting the modelling knife into such a cash cow?

Depends on if you want to build a falcon or not..... I'll build mine no matter how much it costs on evil bay. Don't let greed ruin a modelling experience extraordinaire :)/>

Cultman still have decent prices on fm stuff... no falcon left tho.

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Fine-Molds_bymfg_27-4-1.html

PS.

Guys. .youre getting a tad off topic,........just saying ;)

Edited by Aigore

Yeah, blame us.. itĀ“s YOU who havenĀ“t added anything new to this thread for a while now.. Last time I checked there were plenty of detail painting left to do on the Viggen Cockpit, so why do you hang around on the internet for? Get back to work!

Yeah, blame us.. itĀ“s YOU who havenĀ“t added anything new to this thread for a while now.. Last time I checked there were plenty of detail painting left to do on the Viggen Cockpit, so why do you hang around on the internet for? Get back to work!

Now now, one update a week is just a fine pace :D

Now now, one update a week is just a fine pace :D/>

Janne,

Certainly for most of us it is, but your pace on the F-111 and F-15C builds spoiled us. Still it's nice to know that you have a life outside of modeling when not at work.

Joel

Janne,

Certainly for most of us it is, but your pace on the F-111 and F-15C builds spoiled us. Still it's nice to know that you have a life outside of modeling when not at work.

Joel

:P

Shouldn't have spoilt you rotten with updates almost everyday...

Ah....time for an update :D

IĀ“ve been busy for a change and IĀ“m hoping to get loads of modelling time coming weeks since IĀ“m on a two week christmas leave :D

Not going anywhere just going to be at home with the kids and the GF......and my hobby room to recharge my batteries :D

I have so much for you itĀ“s going to be a two parter even :D

First out is a bit of washing....my usual oil wash is applied to the pit and office chair.

IMG_1826_zps9b5cbf40.jpg

IMG_1827_zps355ea38e.jpg

Next I gave the inlet trunks a thought and came up with the idea of using very thing plasticard (0.10") to cover the seams...I bhet this has been done before and IĀ“ve just rediscovered it...but itĀ“s nice anyways and fast!

I just cut a wide strip and inserted it and glued it into place....

IMG_1828_zpsf0c5e171.jpg

Cut off the protruding card and smoothed things over a bit..

IMG_1829_zps12bdedb6.jpg

Glued on the fuselage extesion. (for those interested: they added another fan stage on the RM8 engine for the JA, thus making it more powerful than the AJ....however they put in a stop so you couldnĀ“t go to full military power, so the AJ was still the fastest :P )

IMG_1830_zps31138844.jpg

The nose wheel well...a bit bare but IĀ“ll leave it as it is.

IMG_1831_zps60a1fce5.jpg

Glued into the lower fuselage section.

IMG_1832_zps9ed1c7de.jpg

A quick dry fit of the trunking.

IMG_1833_zps61d1e0e6.jpg

Heh, this was smart... As previously mentioned I glued on a fuselage extentsion....and one of my first thoughts were about the spine and how it would be extended for the JA. As it is it IS extended and you will hav e to cut off a bit to make it fit a AJ!

IMG_1834_zps495bf6e7.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

The IP...

IMG_1836_zpsef384944.jpg

The bang seat, just needs the saftey bar to the headrest.

IMG_1837_zpsf6cf14d7.jpg

The pit....

IMG_1838_zpsb419d9d8.jpg

The pit glued into place.

IMG_1839_zps3d2cf16b.jpg

I put in the seat as well.

IMG_1840_zps9563b573.jpg

HereĀ“s the fan front.....painted and washed....but why bother?

IMG_1841_zps3aec4ad5.jpg

It doesnĀ“t show :P you have to stick you head in mighty deep to see the fanfront....same on the real deal as well.

IMG_1842_zps592c7969.jpg

OK, the trunking glued into the lower fuselage half.

IMG_1843_zps267e0b91.jpg

The extenstion fits snuggly to the fuselage...

IMG_1844_zps053132d3.jpg

And the front fuselage glued together!

IMG_1846_zps659d5e68.jpg

Yep, things are moving along as they should....the fit is darn good but thereĀ“s still a a little gap to fill :)

Cheers!

Janne,

WTG. Excellent progress on the pit. Seat really looks good too.

Interesting that you decided rather then to use the Latex paint method for the intake trumpets to go with .040 sheet plastic. The issue I have with that is that you end up with 4 smaller seams that you now have to deal with. I used the Latex method on the F-15C, and while it worked, it's extremely messy, as well as time consuming. The next time I have to deal with intake seams I'm going to try Vallejo White Acrylic putty. As long as I can get the 1st few inches to look good, I'm home free.

Two weeks home, you should really make some real progress on the JA37 Viggen.

Joel

Janne,

WTG. Excellent progress on the pit. Seat really looks good too.

Interesting that you decided rather then to use the Latex paint method for the intake trumpets to go with .040 sheet plastic. The issue I have with that is that you end up with 4 smaller seams that you now have to deal with. I used the Latex method on the F-15C, and while it worked, it's extremely messy, as well as time consuming. The next time I have to deal with intake seams I'm going to try Vallejo White Acrylic putty. As long as I can get the 1st few inches to look good, I'm home free.

Two weeks home, you should really make some real progress on the JA37 Viggen.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Well one reason to not go all out on the intakes is that very little will show and the intakes are pretty small.

SantaĀ“s been here and left...the kiddies have been wading through gifts and are now finallly put to bed. (Yup, here in scandinavia we give gifts during the the X-mas eve and not on X-mas day)

I`m digesting all the culinaries of the X-mas dinner and feeling pretty content :D

A bit of time to myself finally and I have something to show.

I have puttied up the front fuselage.

IMG_1847_zpsfb1575af.jpg

Shifting focus to the rear.... and thereĀ“s much to do!

HereĀ“s the reverse thrust paddles....Nice detail on the out side but nasty ejection marks on the inside...needs some putty there.

IMG_1848_zpse9373ddf.jpg

These details are on both sides of the rear cone and they are wrong, there are no dimple on the crear cone and the hatch doesnĀ“t protrude like that...so putty and sanding here too

IMG_1849_zps7c225c1a.jpg

Here another thing to improve... The turkey feathers are separate from the outer ring...and the details looks fuzzy :/

IMG_1850_zps008a097a.jpg

BTW, just to show what kind of beast the RM8 engine is... The RM8 and the TF-30 are both derivates of the civilian Pratt & Whitney JT8D-1 engine but they are not the same engine! Here you see the size difference between the TF-30 open exhaust and the RM8.... ItĀ“s a massive engine!

IMG_1852_zpsf6e41f10.jpg

OK, now IĀ“ve gone potty in the head......I made a template and used it to mark pretty little triangles on a strip of plasti card.

IMG_1854_zps7fa9352e.jpg

Then I cut them out.....all 24 of them....but thereĀ“s more....

IMG_1856_zps1d9f2dc4.jpg

Much more! IĀ“ll build the turkey feathers of the RM8 exhaust, they are internal pretty much like the TF-30 in F-111.

IMG_1858_zps4b3a8d01.jpg

First I glued in the hinges....

IMG_1859_zpsb66c604c.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

Then the first layer of the feathers...

IMG_1860_zpsf8cfe9f4.jpg

and finished! Looks pretty darn good compared to what was there from the beginning :D

IMG_1861_zps08de9128.jpg

Next the small thingies on the outside of the exhaust that shows through the reversal slits in the sides of the airframe.

IMG_1866_zps2bddc617.jpg

A little test fit with the base of the reversal paddles.... here you see the slits.

IMG_1867_zpsb769b56c.jpg

A quick visit to the front end... filled the nose cone with clay as ballast...donĀ“t want a tailsitter.

IMG_1869_zps7f9c70a6.jpg

Now, the tail cone needed a bit of attention.....I puttied up and sanded the dimples...added plasticard strips to the base of the tailfin. ItĀ“s really a separate part thatĀ“s just attached to the rear exhaust cylinder. The tape marks where additional cooling airintakes will be added for the exhaust.

IMG_1872_zps5b87318d.jpg

There...marked and drilled. They were added to cool the rear exhaust......in full military power in zone 3 the rear cone would actually melt, guess they cooling vents delayed that for a while :P

IMG_1873_zps030bef18.jpg

And the fron fuselage sanded and rescribed :D

IMG_1874_zpsb5ab2feb.jpg

On with the nose cone....

IMG_1875_zpsef6d72ca.jpg

And lastly the rear parts got primed in Alcald grey primer and then coated with honey primer to give a gloss canvas for the metal coats. :D

IMG_1876_zpsa9dfb767.jpg

Merry X-mas folks :D

Janne,

Absolutely a fantastic effort of scratch building. The added details of the turkey feathers and rear cone will really stand out on the finished model. I personally enjoy detailing whenever possible to just substituting AM resin. Well done, and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Joel