Janne,

Absolutely a fantastic effort of scratch building. The added details of the turkey feathers and rear cone will really stand out on the finished model. I personally enjoy detailing whenever possible to just substituting AM resin. Well done, and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Yeah a bit of scratching on occasion is nice, even the best of kits can do with small improvements....

This honey primer, is it like a gloss coat?

Yep, it's laquer based like all Alclad and it cures fast and gives a hard, gloss surface. it has a yellowish tint that shows if you shoot it thickly.

Edited by Aigore

Too soon for a new update? Well here it is anyways :P

The airintakes looks really nice...just detailed them further with a bar from piano wire, crossing the notch in the bottom of the intakes.

IMG_1878_zps12177442.jpg

Then I painted the exhausts in Alclad steel....

IMG_1879_zps209714b5.jpg

And the insides of the intakes in Alclad white alumin ium.

IMG_1880_zpsb1162f19.jpg

Glued them into place...needs some putty and sanding but they look great :D

IMG_1881_zps67bc9ef7.jpg

The thrust vectoring paddles.... they look a bit bara on the inside...and the center paddle could do with some details on the outside :D

IMG_1882_zps736f8982.jpg

Made a hinge and a actuator for the center paddle.

IMG_1883_zpsf3dba448.jpg

And some rivets for the insides....they should really be protruding rivets but but hey they´ll be better than before at least :P

ANother thing is that the paddles in the real thing really looks like arrowheads, where I scribed is where they would really open.

IMG_1885_zps5c68fe1b.jpg

Some creativ masking....

IMG_1886_zpsc619cd39.jpg

Then some Alclad exhaust dusted here and there and I went over the exhausts parts with my makeup sets :P

IMG_1887_zps61449536.jpg

All the parts ready for assembly....

IMG_1889_zpse320689c.jpg

End of part 1

Part2

Put the can into the rear fuselage and closed the fuselage halfs...

IMG_1891_zps0ccbb320.jpg

In with the paddles into the exhaust cone...

IMG_1893_zps097c9b4f.jpg

And the assembly glued to the rear fuselage....a bit of puttying and sanding to do...

IMG_1894_zps4e0ffea6.jpg

A peek into the rear...

IMG_1895_zps68becdcd.jpg

Might as well put on the wings.....

IMG_1896_zps409ca837.jpg

And glue the fuselage sections together....starting to look familiar?

IMG_1897_zpseb26a95a.jpg

IMG_1898_zps4bedd4b5.jpg

There...a bit of boxingday fun :D

Cheers!

Janne,

Most impressive adding those little details that really make quite a difference in the over all look, especially the exhaust.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Yeah, good as it is it still benefits from some improvements.....There would be more to do but I had to draw the line somewhere :P

Yep..another update already :D

First I´d like to share a picture that´s very helpful when dealing with the JA37, it´s a profile shot and it´s perfect to compare with since every panel shows perfectly and it´s about as perfect a profile shot you can take of a real plane.

Just follow the link :D

http://www.hottail.nl/special/vintage/Museum/Linkoping-Malmen/images/PrototypeJA37.jpg

Anyways back to the putty...I mean the update...

First I masked the areas to be puttified...

IMG_1899_zpsca17e883.jpg

Here we are...

IMG_1900_zps6639b236.jpg

Might as well putty the smalll stuff while I´m at it...

IMG_1901_zps2861d0d6.jpg

Then we arrive at the fin debacle....there are a few things wrong with the vertical stab. I used the picture I linked to as a guide for the fin....and well the list is as follows:

The edge of the stab should be parallell not angled differently like on the kit fin.

The top of the fin should be a weeeee bit higher

the angle of the fintip should be a bit sharper.

The pitot tube sits to high up and the bulb it sits in is too big.

IMG_1902_zps0cea97cb.jpg

I enlarged the pic until the rudder matched and then I went from there...

IMG_1903_zpse2412c05.jpg

Here you see the issues with the leading edge...

IMG_1904_zps34b49bad.jpg

Well no way round it I got to get on with it...

first I slabbed on some plasticard at the rear and the top.

IMG_1905_zps5b83359a.jpg

Then I brought fourth The Dremel andcut off the top of the sawtooth...

IMG_1906_zps23439067.jpg

Put on more plasticard....

IMG_1907_zps1c5ac859.jpg

And finished it off wiht more putty!

IMG_1908_zps5c634264.jpg

Now it´ll sit until tomorrow when I´ll sand and make a new pitot tube pod.

Cheers!

Very instructive building thread!

Thank you Janne for showing us your knowledgeable and crafty build of the new Trangus kit.

I think many of us had really high hopes for this kit and now we see it's weak points it may be a bit discouraging, especially considering the price tag. (Just imagine the brutal bashing this kit would receive were it done and marketed by one of the younger chinese companies...) On the other hand YOU show us how satisfying and nice this model can be if built with some TLC. Tarangus should thank you for your efforts!

Right now I am not as sure as I was a few moths ago if I should buy this kit. But this project of yours will be helpful anyhow, even if I stay with my old ESCI Viggen.

I enjoy each new post in this thread. Keep up the good work!

Best regards from Germany,

Ian

PS: Happy new year to everybody out there!

Very instructive building thread!

Thank you Janne for showing us your knowledgeable and crafty build of the new Trangus kit.

I think many of us had really high hopes for this kit and now we see it's weak points it may be a bit discouraging, especially considering the price tag. (Just imagine the brutal bashing this kit would receive were it done and marketed by one of the younger chinese companies...) On the other hand YOU show us how satisfying and nice this model can be if built with some TLC. Tarangus should thank you for your efforts!

Right now I am not as sure as I was a few moths ago if I should buy this kit. But this project of yours will be helpful anyhow, even if I stay with my old ESCI Viggen.

I enjoy each new post in this thread. Keep up the good work!

Best regards from Germany,

Ian

PS: Happy new year to everybody out there!

Thanx Ian :D

The problem isn't really in the kit....it's workable and the measurements are all there. The problem is the price... you can't expect ppl to pay tamyia money for an airfix kit! it's that simple... you can't expect to return your investment in only a batch of 2000 kits. The market with the right price would probably be in the 50-60 000 kits world wide and that's just a cautious estimate on my part...

Otherwise you just leave room for the competition...and they WILL take it and run with it!

Hobby boss is about to release both J32 and J29 and they will sell by the tens of thousands. They will kill the Tarangus short runs no matter how inaccurate they might be.... and the company that will release a Viggen at about the same standard or better than the Tarangus at a better price will close down Tarangus...simply own the market.

See how much Hasegawa made by releasing the Draken...They probably sold over a 100000 kits, easy!I saw piles of them melt away in the matter of days at my local dealer!

So please Tarangus, get your act together or the Chinese will eat you alive!

End of todays rant :P

Thanx Ian :D/>/>

The problem isn't really in the kit... The problem is the price... you can't expect ppl to pay tamyia money for an airfix kit! it's that simple... you can't expect to return your investment in only a batch of 2000 kits. The market with the right price would probably be in the 50-60 000 kits world wide and that's just a cautious estimate on my part...

Otherwise you just leave room for the competition...and they WILL take it and run with it!

So please Tarangus, get your act together or the Chinese will eat you alive!

End of todays rant :P/>/>

Hi Janne!

You wrote it crystal clear! I am very happy if smaller kit producers leave the boring path and offer something really new. If they are successful, chances rise that other exotic aircraft types get "kitted" - good for all of us.

But the Viggen project seems like a misjudgement of market facts. At current prices, only afficionados and modelling nerds will buy Tarangus' viggen - even I am still really tempted... But with prices adjusted to the kit's quality, they could expect to "own" and saturate the Viggen market.

Ah, back to modelling...

Cheers

Ian

The work continues :D/>

Done sanding...not as bad as it looks :D/>

IMG_1909_zps9194cab2.jpg

The vertical stab is sanded too....

IMG_1911_zpsb6f11731.jpg

A little dry fit just to cheer the mood.

IMG_1913_zps94d1035d.jpg

More surgery to be donbe on the stab.... going to make room for the pitot tube and marked a few new panellines.

IMG_1914_zpsd8c7f08e.jpg

There...

IMG_1917_zps32c2d3aa.jpg

the pitot tube is from the MAster set and it´s incredebly thin!!! Needless to say it´s fragile too...glued into place in the little housing.

IMG_1918_zps5a451ed5.jpg

And glued into place and the new panellines are scribed.

IMG_1919_zpse348d27d.jpg

And glued into place and the new panellines are scribed.

IMG_1919_zpse348d27d.jpg

Talking of scribing...all lost panellines have been rescribed.

IMG_1920_zpse1b7736f.jpg

Glued on the canards...really nice fit here.

IMG_1921_zps64c8a0f2.jpg

End of part 1

Edited by Aigore

Part 2

on with the little supports for the intakes...

IMG_1922_zps680703a9.jpg

However they forgot the lower supports so I had to make them from plasticard :/

IMG_1924_zpsa046e6e9.jpg

Detailed the belly airscoop...unfortunaltely it´s upside down when I compared it to refs :P/> The triangular shape is right but the point should point downwards and there should be a little lip on it´s upper side.

IMG_1925_zps7f7a4270.jpg

Drilled out the gun barrel on the 30 mm Oerlikon KCA. Amazing gun the Oerlikon, fires the same 30 mm shell as the GAU-8, 30x173 mm, and with only one barrel its rate of fire is 1350 shells/min. I remember watching the fire excercises when I was in the service. The "brrrrrup" sound of it fireing sounded almost like a gatling.

The empty cases stood out from the belly of the Viggen like drain pipes on a house...a long, continious tube made of empty cases *shiver*

IMG_1927_zps4d2f20fa.jpg

Lastly I drille dout the holes in the belly airbrakes with The Dremel...took too long to drill them out by hand and I´m lazy :P/>

IMG_1929_zpsf2592d2e.jpg

A little dry fit with the fin in place... I´ll add the fin at the very end because I know I´d just knock off that pitot tube or damage it somehow.

IMG_1930_zps17b75716.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

Sigh.

This kit has me thoroughly torn.

On the one hand, I love the Viggen. A lot.

On the other hand, the kit has a lot of issues that really take off the lustre.

A lot of the problems could be easily corrected via aftermarket, but really, how many people are willing to throw $50 - $75 of resin at an $80 kit? And especially when it's corrections for stuff that Tarangus should have gotten right in the first place.

And if I'm looking at it as an aftermarket producer, in addition to that basic concern, I've also got to worry about whether Tarangus/Maestro are going to release their own aftermarket corrections/details for the kit? They've already got a bunch of stuff on the market for the Esci kit and even though it doesn't fit the Tarangus kit, that's already going to take a bite out of my potential sales (not to mention, stuff for the Tarangus kit won't fit Esci either, so sales are further limited). They've also have the massive advantage of having developed the kit, which will help in making resin bits that fit (plus all their existing references, plus knowing/working on corrections from before the kits release). And that's in addition to the usual worries that AiRes/Armory/CMK/Eduard/NeOmega/Quickboost will bring something out first.

Sigh.

I'm not averse to the high MSRP. I had an epiphany a few months ago when someone pointed out that kits like Kittyhawk's, or this Viggen, are just like the 'limited run' stuff from MPM or Classic Airframes back in the day. We *think* they're mainstream injection moulded kits because technology has largely bridged the gap: the plastic looks the same, they don't need resin, PE or vac canopies anymore... But there IS still a gap and they're still garage manufacturers cranking out niche projects on a shoestring budget that require shortcuts and close-but-not-quite-mainstream quality. Ten years ago, in a Classic Airframes box, nobody would bat an eye at an $80 price tag. Now, because it *looks* really close to a Revell kit, we expect Revell pricing.

Sigh...

And so I keep waffling: I should cancel my pre-order for the kit... but Viggens are sooo cool, maybe I should fire up the CAD software...

It's a hard choice, Mofo...

However there are a few points to consider.

The price...

I did the old Esci with all the bells and whistles and pretty much produced as an accurate AJ as can be made from the Esci...and I still don't know the total cost but it was in the ball park of the better part of $200!

The Tarangus kit is expensive, as disappointing as many things are with the kit the fact is that you need much less after market stuff to produce an accurate representation of a JA or an AJ. It could have been perfect but it ain't.

Looking at OOB the Esci kit is almost so fictitious as to just be a kit designed by hear say...sure it was cheaper but there are not one thing that is correct about it other than general appearance.

While the Tarangus has annoying issues it still builds up to a pretty accurate representation OOB.

And actually, if you look at my build I haven't used much aftermarket (well to tell the truth there isn't any aftermarket that fits other than the Master turned brass pitottubes) and the corrections I've made aren't that extensive nor particulary complicated to do....

I hope this brings things in perspective :D

Sigh.

This kit has me thoroughly torn.

On the one hand, I love the Viggen. A lot.

On the other hand, the kit has a lot of issues that really take off the lustre.

Yup, I'm in the same boat.

I'm not averse to the high MSRP. I had an epiphany a few months ago when someone pointed out that kits like Kittyhawk's, or this Viggen, are just like the 'limited run' stuff from MPM or Classic Airframes back in the day. We *think* they're mainstream injection moulded kits because technology has largely bridged the gap: the plastic looks the same, they don't need resin, PE or vac canopies anymore... But there IS still a gap and they're still garage manufacturers cranking out niche projects on a shoestring budget that require shortcuts and close-but-not-quite-mainstream quality. Ten years ago, in a Classic Airframes box, nobody would bat an eye at an $80 price tag.

Totally agree with you here. I think a lot of people haven't got that. But that's not to say we shouldn't point out errors/issues so people can make an informed decision as to whether they want to buy the kit in the first place.

Now, because it *looks* really close to a Revell kit, we expect Revell pricing.

The last Revell Kit that impressed me for quality/price was the F-15E (when did that come out?) . Most of their recent stuff is cheap because IMHO, the care taken on the F-15E hasn't been taken on these newer kits. But because they are cheap they get a pass as opposed to a higher priced kit that will get bagged (and I'm all for bagging kits that deserve it regardless of manufacturer).

I built the Eurofighter and Ventura and both suffered from soft detail, some accuracy/detail issues and fit on the Eurofighter in places was average.