If it weren't for the inaccurate canards and tail, the crappy wheels and maybe the RAT, I think it'd be an easy choice. But add Quickboost-style replacements for each and you're easily adding $30 to the sticker price. That's what makes it a tough call.

I can accept that it's a limited run kit that's going to cost $80. Like I said, if it were Classic Airframes and this was ten years ago, that's what we'd all expect, and once you realize this is today's equivalent, the MSRP makes sense. Plus, it's definitely a better starting point than the similarly priced KH Foxbat. :) BUT, adding $30 of resin, not to get any extra detail but simply to fix what shouldn't have been wrong in the first place? That's a much harder pill to swallow. So partly it's, 'what's the whole thing going to cost when all is said and done?' But just as importantly, it's 'how much time and I going to have to invest in it, when I've already got too many big projects on the go?'

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear about the good AND bad of the kit. I look at Janne's pictures and think "oooh, Viggen!", then I read the post and think "ewww, lots of work."

Sigh...

Janne,

Excellent progress on a most challenging build. Your correction to the overall shape of the vertical Stabilizer really came out quite well. Personally, I would have left off the pitot tube till the very end, but glued up the Vertical Stabilizer, since the fit looks good, but will need some work to blend in perfectly. Will you be scratching out a new "belly" air scoop since it's shaped upside down, or just leave it as is?

Joel

Janne,

Excellent progress on a most challenging build. Your correction to the overall shape of the vertical Stabilizer really came out quite well. Personally, I would have left off the pitot tube till the very end, but glued up the Vertical Stabilizer, since the fit looks good, but will need some work to blend in perfectly. Will you be scratching out a new "belly" air scoop since it's shaped upside down, or just leave it as is?

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Yeah, that would have been the proper way round it but I just got so excited I had to put it on :P

Nope, I'll leave the belly scoop as it is... too much work for too little return :D

Moving on...

Let´s putty up this baby :D/>

IMG_1931_zps61505f02.jpg

Like so...

IMG_1932_zps1c7404af.jpg

Filled in the belly positioning light and the altimeter radar, they are for the AJ version.

IMG_1934_zps4afb7197.jpg

On with the upside down airscoop

IMG_1935_zps47d2a75f.jpg

And the gun pack. It´s often wrongly assumed that the JA had an internal gun but it´s a pack attacked to the belly pretty much like on the Harrier.

IMG_1936_zps35aa1951.jpg

Here´s some resin for a change, it´s the BOY 401 chaff/flare dispenser.

IMG_1938_zps1ad64a6f.jpg

And it goes onto two un used weapon stations infront of the inner most actuators.....

IMG_1939_zpsdb7ecc8d.jpg

So they had to go :P/> Quick work with The Dremel...

IMG_1940_zps87c29040.jpg

But it needs some additional putty .

IMG_1941_zps743ce391.jpg

Sanded...

IMG_1944_zps232096a9.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

On with the BOY´s...

IMG_1945_zpsf40b966a.jpg

BTW here´s the fin all sanded,scribed and primed....of course I broke off the pitot tube so it´s now in a secure location and will be added in the end of the build :P

IMG_1942_zpsd0b339a7.jpg

With the pitot tube gone I might as well glue the fin into place....

IMG_1946_zpsaf0c6b86.jpg

Now for some work on the canards....I sanded a part of the canard at an angle and left the tips.

IMG_1948_zpse5e4629a.jpg

Made some hinges from plasticard...

IMG_1949_zpsa87f51c9.jpg

And glued them into place on the rear of the canards...they will be further shaped later.

IMG_1950_zpsf735dfd0.jpg

The canard flaps needed some repairs with plasticard at the tips...yeah I´ve been careless :P

IMG_1951_zpsef39ce62.jpg

There ya go :D

Cheers!

Janne,

That's some really nice progress. The tail looks fantastic. One would never know that you modified the kit part. And those BOYs fit like a glove once you modified the lower wings. I really have to start to use my Dremel more.

Joel

Janne,

That's some really nice progress. The tail looks fantastic. One would never know that you modified the kit part. And those BOYs fit like a glove once you modified the lower wings. I really have to start to use my Dremel more.

Joel

Thanx joel :D

Yes you should, it is very very useful tool and it saves time!

work on the canards continue....

I had a little rething about the canard flap hinges and decided to go with this instead:

First I marked the spots and made a few pulls with a razor saw to make notches.

IMG_1954_zps9cbfe718.jpg

And corresponding notches in the canards...

IMG_1955_zps0cd4dd94.jpg

Next I cut 4 squares out of thin plasticard...

IMG_1956_zps92bdb9fa.jpg

ANd glued them into the notches.

IMG_1957_zpsda3f2e11.jpg

Then 10 small pieces of plasticard strips was cut... they will represent small sparrs on the underside of the canard flaps, don´t really know about their function but they seem to push a plate in the canard inwards when the flaps are dropped.

IMG_1958_zps73ea1043.jpg

Glued them on like so, 5 on each flap...

IMG_1959_zps1733234f.jpg

Next the vortex generators are up..

I made template out of plasticard and then cut out small base plates for the vortex generators out of dymotape backing paper.

IMG_1962_zpsa0828a95.jpg

ANd super glued them in place...

IMG_1964_zpsae108703.jpg

Next the small triangular vortex generator were cut from plasticard strips and glued onto the base plates.

IMG_1966_zps8a9f17e4.jpg

A little dry fit to see that the hinges meet the notches in the canards.....

IMG_1967_zps7a059549.jpg

Tomorrow I´ll cut the hinges and sparrs to shape

Cheers!

Nice work, Janne. A lot of silly, unnecessary errors in the kit :-(

The lower supports for the intakes, aren't they JA-specific? I know there is something that differs the JA from the others with the regards to the intakes, and I believe those supports were it. Which could explain why these were missing, since the kit is designed more or less as an AJ with the JA-bits as extras.

The Oerlikon KCA gun of the Viggen (one of the most, if not THE most powerful gun ever installed on a fighter - the ammunition used is the same size as the ammo used by the GAU-8 of the A-10, but differs in one being electrically fired, the other uses a percussion cap) was, contrary to common belief NOT mounted in an external pack like the Harrier. The gun was firmly bolted on to the aircraft, and the fairing was not removable (other than for maintenance off course). So unlike the Harrier, there were never any JA´s flying around without it´s gun and associated fairing.

The gun was secured enough to the aircraft that SAAB added some automatic rudder inputs to the FCS when using the gun against ground tagets, in order to increase the spread some. Using the gun in a dogfight was according to pilots account both a delight and somewhat nauseating, since the aircraft had automatic aim assist that shook the aircraft around to increase the chance of hitting the target.

Thanx Erik :D/>

Great input on the gun :D/> so it's more of a external-internal gun since it's still mounted outside the skin of the aircraft :P/>

Having checked pics it seems like the lower intake support bracket is present on the AJ as well. It's mostly hidden behind the splitter plate.

Edited by Aigore

Well, yes.. or the skin of the aircraft has been bulged outwards to accommodate the gun. Anyway, the gun on the Harrier is removable and replaced with a strake, or even a pylon depending on version. The Viggen gun might look like the bolt on modification it is, but it is permanently bolted on.

But you´re right about the intake.. I was so sure there was a difference between the AJ and JA intake, but I can´t find anything..

DSC9970.jpg

Hi Janne! Nice to see how you are dealing with all the innacuracies of the kit! I have a head up for you about the underbelly airscoop, altough you are not taking any action about it. I think that you are wrong about it. The scoop on the kit is correct as you can see on this pic:

My link

The airscoop as you are describing it is present on the AJ, SF and SH versions, as you can see here:

My link

So that vertical plate that you have added on your kit is not present on the JA intake.

HTH

Keep that good work friend!

Juan

Hi Janne! Nice to see how you are dealing with all the innacuracies of the kit! I have a head up for you about the underbelly airscoop, altough you are not taking any action about it. I think that you are wrong about it. The scoop on the kit is correct as you can see on this pic:

My link

The airscoop as you are describing it is present on the AJ, SF and SH versions, as you can see here:

My link

So that vertical plate that you have added on your kit is not present on the JA intake.

HTH

Keep that good work friend!

Juan

Thanx Juan :D/>

Whaddya know! great that you're keeping tabs on me, mate :D/>

I'll just pop that bird slicer out of there!

PS.

Then you need a new scoop if you're doing an AJ :P

Edited by Aigore

Yep, I´m at it again :D

Work on the canards continue...

All the little plasticard bits are cut to shape...

IMG_1968_zps9c293798.jpg

And glued into place, remember that when on the ground and the engines off the canard flaps points to the main wing root.

IMG_1969_zpsaf6d05c6.jpg

Both in place...

IMG_1970_zps4bf30b30.jpg

A look from above...

IMG_1971_zpse0d8ce66.jpg

Time to do the same with the main wing flaps and ailerons, on the JA they move togehter and there´s an extra actuator.

IMG_1972_zps4096a1f7.jpg

Glued plasticard on the forward edge as to make a rounded shape.

IMG_1973_zpsf6bca94e.jpg

Sanded the plasticard smooth and round.

IMG_1987_zpsf9b0ab25.jpg

Then I sawed notches into the rear of the wing....

IMG_1988_zps6e308e76.jpg

And corresponding notches on the flaps.

IMG_1989_zpsc5a91845.jpg

Cut out some plasticard squares to make hinges of...

IMG_1990_zps4da1e223.jpg

End of part 1

part 2

And glued them into the flaps...

IMG_1991_zps528932ae.jpg

Now the wings will have to rest...going back to the front end and the glare shield.

Now this I really should have done before I put the front section together...oh well this works too :P

I begun the mods by cutting up a hole in the existing glare shield....

IMG_1974_zpsf70bfcbe.jpg

Made a IP shroud out of tape...

IMG_1977_zpsa48fa16f.jpg

Put in a piece of plasticard to cover the hole...

IMG_1979_zpsfc893eb5.jpg

Then I added a long piece of plasticard on top of the glare shield and made another piece to fit in the hole with a marked spot for a HUD lens.

IMG_1980_zps8d683114.jpg

A cover for the front end of the glare shiled was made from tape...

IMG_1981_zpsd6debbb7.jpg

Next I started putting together frames for the HUD glass.....I made two and of course I manafged to drop one in the waste basket under the table when I moved it for photography :P

IMG_1984_zps0dfcdc32.jpg

So I had to swing together a third frame.... Now I have a pair :/

IMG_1985_zps874fd793.jpg

There enough for today....more work on the flaps tomorrow :D

Cheers!