The panel in the britmodeller thread is the old JA panel with the small tactical indicator. It´s easy to spot the difference, the new Gripen style display totaly dominates the right side of the ip on the Di. The target indicator (radar display) in the middle has received an extra keybvoard on the Di. I presume they are the buttons that were previously located beneath the old tactical indicator, weapons selection if I am not wrong..

The panel in the britmodeller thread is the old JA panel with the small tactical indicator. It´s easy to spot the difference, the new Gripen style display totaly dominates the right side of the ip on the Di. The target indicator (radar display) in the middle has received an extra keybvoard on the Di. I presume they are the buttons that were previously located beneath the old tactical indicator, weapons selection if I am not wrong..

Yeah, I saw the differences..... more scratching for me :P

Presentation

You´ve seen the parts at other places and you´ve probably read the virdicts...but here´s mine!

I´ve shown you the box...now I´ll give my take on the contents and some stuff I thought might be good to spice things up with.

A bang seat for starters... there´are actually two in the box but they just don´t look right, so I got me a resin replacement...it´s for the Esci kit but how hard can it be to modify it?

IMG_1762_zps90fb33b8.jpg

Next some gorgeous turned brass pitot tubes and an alpha probe from Master...this is a must since they are simply exquisite!

IMG_1763_zpsc0755f8d.jpg

Resin wheels, since the ones in the kit looks either like dodo or not detailed at all, and a couple of BOY401 chaff/flare launchers

IMG_1764_zps6d14b7cc.jpg

And finally a RAT and some scrounged AMRAAM A´s and LAU-129/128 launchers.

IMG_1765_zpsd7202d60.jpg

Now for the actual sprues!

The box contains 9 sprues!...it´s packed!

IMG_1766_zps1f8ed260.jpg

IMG_1767_zpsa7c831a8.jpg

IMG_1768_zps0878e15f.jpg

IMG_1769_zpsbba55d11.jpg

After having thoroughly checked all the parts...there are a few improvents that needs to be done, but my general impression is that it´s well engineered and the parts feel really nice!

The things that are missed are the weapons, the launchers, antennas for all versions and a RAT....

This is a pretty expensive kit, at 695 Swedish krona...that´s $93! And I´m sorry, Tarangus, but I think it´s severly overpriced for what you get in the box.

The quality is good but not excellent, and there are lots of mistakes...let´s face it it´s not a Tamygawa, but it´s priced as such!

I do believe Tarangus wants to make up for their investment quickly...but this is not the way, a price closer to half of what´s asked is closer to what it´s worth, retail it at that price and

it would fly off the shelves! When Hasegawa started selling the 1/48th scale Draken it retailed at $60 here in Sweden...I bought 4 in one go! Not going to happen with the Tarangus kit unless they

lower their price tag.....severly!

Alright enuff Tarangus bashing...those poor guys done a good job and deserves creds for making this happen! Don´t get me wrong...it´s a lovely kit!

on wards to the interesting stuff... like building it!

The beginning

I started with the pit...

It looks kind of bare even tho the details that are there looks great. I miss a little something at the rear bulkhead...

IMG_1770_zpsf0a601c1.jpg

Next I tried the bang seat...and waddya know, it´s too big....I´m getting the feeling that the old ESCI kit was a wee bit fat!

IMG_1771_zps01b7d7b1.jpg

Some panels are glued to the sides of the well.....I really like the break up of the forward fuselage halfs.

IMG_1772_zps9df0d1a1.jpg

Since I´ll be making a Di I need to install a biiiig MFD to the right on the instrument panel....so I started with shaving off all the gauges and stuff there so I can scratch a MFD later :D

IMG_1774_zps281a696f.jpg

Witha wee bit of surgey I got the seat to fit.....that is shaving off a mill off the sides and 2 mills of the bottom to make the seat fit into the well....and not hit the canopy :P

IMG_1776_zps3d825f9a.jpg

Hmmmmm...another little misscalculation on my part, I thought the resin RAT would fit.....but it seems like there´s some size disparaty here, the ESCI kit must be really over sized?!

IMG_1779_zps32c63518.jpg

You see the space I have to work with when the airducts are in place!...noe way I´ll get that stuff to fit in there! More scratching to do then....'

IMG_1781_zpsd1054069.jpg

More to come in "Wings"

Wings

Here´s the main wing...I would realy have liked all the rudders separate from the wings, would have made my world easier. Feels odd not to start scribing here :P

IMG_1782_zps6ad548ac.jpg

Oki let´s cut out the rudders....easiest to do before you glue the wings together.

IMG_1783_zps58a90a36.jpg

IMG_1784_zps0a962197.jpg

Then I glued in the main wheel wells....neat details, too bad they won´t show :P

IMG_1785_zps20e34d74.jpg

Here comes the saddest part of the model, the canards....what went wrong? The canard flaps shouldn´t be straight and there should be two vortex generators on the JA. Even the Tarangus line drawings shows

them correct, why couldn´t they have been casted correctöy as well?

IMG_1786_zps6a63a325.jpg

So I did a bit of meassuring and calculation and came to the result that the inside of the canard flaps are 1.6cm, I then drew a new line for a little surgery....looks like the vortex generator has to go as well.

IMG_1787_zps15e69751.jpg

There, a nice cut... now I just need to fill the wrongly made lines.

IMG_1788_zpsbf509ca6.jpg

Now it´s officially started :D

Cheers!

Janne,

Well, you're off and running on your build. Going to be a fun one as your fix for the Canards has us down that path already.

As for the price of the kit, $93 USA is even high for all kits sold here. $70-$80 is the high range these days. Shopping at Sprue Brothers saves one even more.

Joel

I have to agree with you, Janne! (About the over price)

I have 2 Airfix Viggens and tons of AM for both in my stash... I think I will not take a chance to Tarangus and I will invest in the rest of the AM on the market for the Airfix kits... Even I have to scribe both.

However I will follow your thread. :beer4:/>

Edited by Motta

Considering the errors and the spartan details in places, I wholeheartedly agree with the price being far too high. Even though I got £10 off for buying a Safir kit at the same time:) Looking forward to following this thread.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

I have to agree with you, Janne! (About the over price)

I have 2 Airfix Viggens and tons of AM for both in my stash... I think I will not take a chance to Tarangus and I will invest in the rest of the AM on the market for the Airfix kits... Even I have to scribe both.

However I will follow your thread. :beer4:/>/>

Talking from experience, It's a female dog getting the old Esci together with all the AM...and you still won't end upnwith a correct Viggen....the Tarangus kit, tho expensive, however is light years ahead of the esci garbage.

Now sure ppl will say it only have to look Viggish......but then there is no point with AM stuff either.

Having dry fitted the Tarangus I have to tell the fit is amazing and building it will be a breeze.... if I had any old Esci left Ibwould burn them :P

Considering the errors and the spartan details in places, I wholeheartedly agree with the price. Even though I got £10 off for buying a Safir kit at the same time:) Looking forward to following this thread.

Jens

Great Jens :) hope you'll enjoy the ride ;)

Regarding the RAT and the intake canals.. I wonder if they really are separated so far back. We should take a trip to Aeroseum and bring a child to find out how the intakes look inside. (if we were to climb in to the intakes, even the large ones of the Viggen we´ll be like Winnie the Pooh after the visit in the Rabbits hole. I don´t think the museum wants us stuck in the Viggen until we´re slim enough to pop out.. :-))

I once, in my youth climbed inside the intake trunks of a J 32 Lansen and crawled up to the compressor face and back again.. will never do that again.. tried it a few years back, almost panicked.. tight like a birth canal in there..

Regarding the RAT and the intake canals.. I wonder if they really are separated so far back. We should take a trip to Aeroseum and bring a child to find out how the intakes look inside. (if we were to climb in to the intakes, even the large ones of the Viggen we´ll be like Winnie the Pooh after the visit in the Rabbits hole. I don´t think the museum wants us stuck in the Viggen until we´re slim enough to pop out.. :-))

I once, in my youth climbed inside the intake trunks of a J 32 Lansen and crawled up to the compressor face and back again.. will never do that again.. tried it a few years back, almost panicked.. tight like a birth canal in there..

They´re probably used to crowbaring middle aged men out of the airducts.....